1148 5 2016-3-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
t.lynch7
lvl.2
Flight distance : 479951 ft
United States

Hi All,

I am looking to pick up my first drone this week and I have been doing a lot of research (reading and watching videos etc) in the past few weeks. I was first set on the Phantom 3 Pro 100% until I started looking in to the Phantom 4. For me, the main sell of the P4 over the P3P is the object detection system. Certainly the premium price over the P3P seems worth it, but after reading through a number of threads on this forum I am wondering if I should hold off on the P4 until all the bugs are worked out. I have read a lot of complaints related to the battery life, FPV range and concerning firmware issues.

Yes this is my first drone, but I will be prepared the first time I fly it and am confident I will be able to get the hang of it without issues. Point being, I don't want that to be the deciding factor for why I should choose one or the other. Just looking for some opinions from experienced pilots on the site.

Thanks.

- Taylor L.
2016-3-28
Use props
microcyb
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1095955 ft
United States

Tough question, but since it would be your first you might want to take an advantage of the prices the Phantom 3 currently have.  Unless you want to do tracking and need object avoidance, you could use that extra money for more batteries, cases, etc going to the P3 line.
2016-3-28
Use props
t.lynch7
lvl.2
Flight distance : 479951 ft
United States

microcyb Posted at 2016-3-28 13:56
Tough question, but since it would be your first you might want to take an advantage of the prices t ...

Thanks for the response. I am willing to spend the extra money for the P4, but I guess what I am trying to understand is if there is a consensus that the P3P is superior to the current state of the P4. And yes, the difference in price point is helpful for purchasing accessories.

Thanks again.
2016-3-28
Use props
microcyb
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1095955 ft
United States

t.lynch7@Yahoo. Posted at 2016-3-28 14:02
Thanks for the response. I am willing to spend the extra money for the P4, but I guess what I am t ...

The Phantom 3 line has most all the bugs out, so that is a great direction for first time UAs owners, plus there are several videos and tips on how to use the Phantom that obstacle avoidance is not required once you know how to use your new bird.

I want the P4 for the active track feature, but again waiting for the kinks to be taken care of first.
But again, there is this tool that does just about the same
http://vertical.ai/
2016-3-28
Use props
mjlstudios
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1540131 ft
  • >>>
United States

I am a P3P owner. It appears to me that the P4 has taken a couple of steps forward in some aspects, and a couple of steps backwards in other aspects! So what is important to you? The P4 and P3P camera is about the same. The P4 can fly a bit faster than the P3, but the battery potential drops in the P4. The P4 avoidance system might stop a collision, or, it might not. (I trust my eyes more than this avoidance system). Extra batteries cost more than the P3's...and we need extra batteries. The clip on prop system on the P4 breaks off. I like having the latest and the greatest in technology, but sometimes it might not be the better choice! I've had P3A's and P3P and had a bunch of fun, Great pics and vids and NO problems!  Your Turn.....
2016-3-28
Use props
Bhujang
lvl.4
Flight distance : 534587 ft
United Kingdom

I'm so happy with my p3p. I've had it 3 months now zero issues and flies and works flawlessly. When the p4 came out  I wasnt tempted in the least. Especially now after hearing many of the reports of short battery life and reduced range as well. As said above the price for the p3p now is very good. Saying that I shopped around and got a fantastic price for mine at £780 and that was before the price drop.
2016-3-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules