Gimbal not level after calibration. Return P4 or wait for new FW?
13166 78 2016-3-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
parkgt
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1167008 ft
United States

MAYBE THEY WILL FIX THIS ON THE P5
2016-4-8
Use props

Norway

Have anyone heard something from dji about this issue ?
2016-4-8
Use props
ahoj Posted at 2016-4-8 01:07
Yes, it seems to have solved the failing gimbal calibration at least, mine calibrated 7 times in a ...

I seem to be having the same trouble with my gimbal that everyone else here is...

I JUST updated my firmware, and THAT is when the gimbal calibration trouble STARTED!  Like most everyone else, when I try to calibrate my gimbal, it gets to about 72%, the camera looks like it WANTS to tilt up and down (but doesn't), and then the calibration fails.  Is the camera supposed to tilt up and down during calibration?  AND, even though I get the "calibration failed" message, the calibration SEEMS to complete, and the gimbal status says "normal"...  I have not flown since this problem started (earlier tonight), so HOPEFULLY, it's just a glitch...

I've only had this thing a little over a week, and have flown it a total of 3 times, all with good landings.  
For $1400 I'd have expected to get more than 3 flights before things started going wrong!  

And, I ordered mine direct from DJI, so I guess it'll have to be shipped back to China? (It shipped out of California)

How totally disappointing this is...
2016-4-8
Use props
kirkd1989
lvl.2

United States

mine is doing this crap too. ughhhhhh I don't know how to fix it.
2016-4-9
Use props
Visual Air
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 2710115 ft
  • >>>
Canada

The latest software did not fix the gimbal calibration error.
It fails every time at 72% and continues to be a problem, this is something DJI needs to fix asap and its clearly not a coincidence.
Yes all other calibrations are executed successfully but not the gimbal.
DJI please release software that actually has been thoroughly tested and get it into our hands asap.
This is becoming a real disappointment and a clear indication that although their products are very amazing they all come with their problems and i emphazize on ALL their Products.
Spoken with experience with my Inspire, Phantom Vision 2, Osmo and now my Phantom 4.  
I really thought the B.S would stop with this release of the P4.
2016-4-10
Use props
Visual Air
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 2710115 ft
  • >>>
Canada

xjoeyx@satx.rr. Posted at 2016-4-9 10:32
I seem to be having the same trouble with my gimbal that everyone else here is...

I JUST updated m ...

Lets hope they come out with a fix as sending it back is not an option.
2016-4-10
Use props
agilarmanuel
lvl.2

United States

post@abfilm.no Posted at 2016-4-6 03:31
Did you order from apple netshop or localy ?  Have the same problem and i dont have a local apple  ...

apple  web
2016-4-10
Use props
gswilder
lvl.1
Flight distance : 18409 ft
  • >>>
United States

Mine is off about .5 degrees. But not all the time, and I cannot find a repeatable pattern. I did try a gimbal calibration during flight, and that seemed to help. (I saw this suggestion somewhere.)
2016-4-10
Use props
jwt873
Second Officer
Flight distance : 6754350 ft
Canada

My calibration routine also fails at the ~70% point and an error popup window appears.   If I click OK on the error window, the calibration continues and indicates that it was successful.  

My Gimbal behaves as shown in the diagrams on the first post of this thread.

I don't know if it has anything to do with the firmware upgrade because I applied mine right 'out of the box' before my first flight.

It is annoying.  Hopefully it can be fixed.

2016-4-13
Use props
kirkd1989
lvl.2

United States

jwt873@gmail.co Posted at 2016-4-13 14:19
My calibration routine also fails at the ~70% point and an error popup window appears.   If I click  ...

yup same thing to all of us, I wont fly unless it goes past the 72 without the cancel/complete bs.
2016-4-13
Use props
nicmo
New
Flight distance : 74117 ft
United States

Another new Phantom 4 owner here with the tilted gimbal / horizon issue.
As many others, auto calibrate almost always fails. Even when "successful", it doesn't level out the gimbal / horizon.

I will probably be exchanging it at Apple in the next few days.
If the next one I get also has the issue, I will ask for a refund and spend my money on another company.
I'm really discouraged and disappointed to read that this is still an ongoing issue with the Phantom 3 that has never been addressed. Pretty outrageous.
2016-4-13
Use props
Thacyoon
lvl.2

Norway

nicmo Posted at 2016-4-13 20:43
Another new Phantom 4 owner here with the tilted gimbal / horizon issue.
As many others, auto calib ...

I am hoping for a soon-to-be announced acknowledgement by DJI that this issue exist, and how it will be dealt with by DJI. Hoping for a FW update to fix this.

Hey, DJI-Ken (or any DJI rep/mod), what is going on regarding the tilted horizon issue? Should we return the P4, or will a FW update fix this. If FW fix is not possible, at least be honest and tell us that. I am starting to loose my polite patience. Many P4 owners have this problem.

2016-4-14
Use props
Advocate
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1076909 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Has anyone else noticed that when the gimbal isn't level it changes depending on which way the P4 is pointing?  I was watching a video back from a test run with Litchi and the horizon was tiles slightly down to the right, when the P4 turned at 90 degrees from the initial heading the horizon was level and then at 180 degrees it was tilted slightly the other way.  

Does that suggest a particular problem?  Or help? Anything?
2016-4-15
Use props
robsiu93
New

Canada

My P4 was rock solid and would pass any calibration until the last FW update...ever since then I have a really bad drifting gimbal that just won't stay steady. I have gone from loving my P4 to just getting frustrated every time I fly the damn thing. Please come out with a fix for this DJI!
2016-4-16
Use props
lvl.1

Russia

Exactly the same thing guys! Ive wrote to dji support, so I hope to get quick respond from them. As soon as I get the respond, I will post it here.

The main thing I would like to know if it is a reason to get the new drone from apple and will it help.

And couple of pictures to illustrate the problem:
IMG_0409.jpg
IMG_0410.jpg
2016-4-17
Use props
FatedFilmsNC
lvl.4

United States

gswilder Posted at 2016-4-10 19:47
Mine is off about .5 degrees. But not all the time, and I cannot find a repeatable pattern. I did tr ...

Same here, i cannot find a repeatable pattern, it does it at completely random times (although I notice I haven't had the issue nearly as much lately as I was before) - I'm lucky that the majority of the time, my horizon is straight. It's only sometimes I look and notice on my screen that the horizon is off. This issue should be fixed with a FW upgrade soon. The last FW upgrade fixed the gimbal calibration failing issue, at least for me (and some others by the looks of it).
2016-4-17
Use props
FatedFilmsNC
lvl.4

United States

Advocate Posted at 2016-4-15 06:11
Has anyone else noticed that when the gimbal isn't level it changes depending on which way the P4 is ...

to me that suggests your compass or IMU may need calibrating.
2016-4-17
Use props
Dmitry_K
lvl.1

Russia

I've got the answer:

Hello Sir,

We have information that a new firmware will be released soon that should address this issue. Please wait for it and then see if your problem will be fixed. Thank you for your understanding.

Best regards
Technical support
DJI GmbH

So, we will wait

2016-4-18
Use props
Thacyoon
lvl.2

Norway

Dmitry_K Posted at 2016-4-18 15:36
I've got the answer:

Hello Sir,We have information that a new firmware will be released soon that s ...

Thanks for posting the reply. Well, let's all hope new FW will fix this.
2016-4-18
Use props
r1herman
New

United States

What would cause the gimbal to tilt right when I move the right stick to the right.

2016-4-26
Use props
parkgt
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1167008 ft
United States

r1herman Posted at 2016-4-26 13:55
What would cause the gimbal to tilt right when I move the right stick to the right.
https://youtu.be ...

Defective gimbal!  DJI has yet to fix these gimbal problems reported over a month ago.
2016-4-26
Use props
dfairchild
lvl.1

United States

here is mine
2016-4-26
Use props
gregor.monach
lvl.1

Germany

Is there an update on the tilt problem? I got my P4 a few days ago and it is not possible to get a level horizon.

I don't know if I should send the drone back or wait for a firmware update. Who knows if this will help anyway.
2016-4-30
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

r1herman Posted at 2016-4-26 19:55

Are you in first person view (FPV)  in gimbal settings as opposed to Follow ?

FPV locks the gimbal and gives you a pilots eye view. If you move the aircraft to the right then it will bank to the right, and the gimbal being locked in FPV will reflect this.

2016-5-1
Use props
atis
lvl.2
Flight distance : 41775 ft
Philippines

Have had enough of reading every bodies Gimble problems. My friend and I have put forward our buy until P5 . Hopefully problem is fixed then. What a shame.
2016-5-1
Use props
gvgs
New

Netherlands

The same problem here.

At 1:56 min, the horizon is crooked. It slowly gets straight again though.
And yes, latest firmware, calibrated IMU, compass and gimbal.
I'd like to see a solution.
2016-5-16
Use props
dancarver44
Banned

United States

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2016-5-16
Use props
grangerfx
lvl.4
Flight distance : 817713 ft
United States

r1herman Posted at 2016-4-26 11:55

That one is FPV mode. You pushed the button on the bottom of the controller (right button I think) and it enabled FPV mode. Now when you move the drone left and right, the video tilts left and right. Dumbest feature evah. You can reprogram that button to do something more useful and avoid the awful FPV mode.
2016-5-16
Use props
dancarver44
Banned

United States

2016-5-16
Use props
dancarver44
Banned

United States

2016-5-16
Use props
Dacon Productio
lvl.2

United States

Just checked and mine is leveled.

2016-6-6
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

gvgs Posted at 2016-5-16 12:27
The same problem here.
https://youtu.be/O8yYOEC7Ofc
At 1:56 min, the horizon is crooked. It slowly g ...

I had exactly the same problem. I have now updated to latest builds, calibrated all (avoidance sensors, IMU, Gimbal, Compass & RC. I also hovered aircraft in my garden using a level wall, and adjusted the horizon holding C2 button operated (rear right on RC) and right wheel to get horizon bang on. Since then it seems to have held horizon perfectly during about one hour of video I have done. Also using DJI GO 2.8.3. So I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
2016-6-6
Use props
vandruten
lvl.3

Indonesia

Aardvark Posted at 2016-6-6 16:24
I had exactly the same problem. I have now updated to latest builds, calibrated all (avoidance sen ...

How's the 411 going with you, Aardvark?
2016-6-6
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

vandruten Posted at 2016-6-7 01:15
How's the 411 going with you, Aardvark?

Still not tested yet beyond a hover in the garden (rock steady), I might get out later today. 410 worked well although more testing needed to check for 'drop', nothing blatantly obvious though.

2016-6-7
Use props
vandruten
lvl.3

Indonesia

Aardvark Posted at 2016-6-7 16:33
Still not tested yet beyond a hover in the garden (rock steady), I might get out later today. 410 w ...

I did a flight test on 411, 120m altitude, 700m distance then the signal was lost.RTH kicked in and landed about 50 cm off the home point, with aircraft take off position as the home point. Oh boy it was a harsh landing. I wanted to catch the bird then thought why not see how the RTH landing is acting.
I still have the horizon gimbal tilt, but hopefully it is caused by my mobile phone's uncalibrated level measurement being used while calibrating the bird's IMU.
Altitude drops wasn't huge.
Video signal was great within the 700m distance. I'm quite happy, but still curious on why the signal was lost in such a short distance as I flew so high and line of sight was only obstructed by smog and tree tips.
I'll try to fly on the same path again tomorrow ans see how it goes.
2016-6-7
Use props
edbighi
lvl.4
Flight distance : 47455053 ft
  • >>>
Italy

I'm still trying to get mine level. Gimbal calibration goes perfect. On startup it still stays level. But once I get it up to speed there is a substantial tilt to the left. This led me to do multiple IMU calibrations but the left tilt when moving forward always stays. If I adjust for the left tilt during forward flight, then I have a right tilt when hovering. It's pretty frustrating. If I do send it in, I have to wait for my other phantom 4 to come back from a re-shell due to stress cracks. So for now I'll keep trying everything.
2016-6-13
Use props
projeffrey11
lvl.2

United States

My new P4 seems a little off as well with the latest update as well.
2016-6-13
Use props
threethreethree
lvl.2
Latvia

Running latest FW, calibrated the IMU and gimbal on a completely leveled surface.
2016-6-17
Use props
Motch
lvl.2
Flight distance : 44213 ft
  • >>>
United States

Mine does it too.. seems to drift slightly in flight.  Usually bring her back to me and adjust the gimbal roll.  But it is something that needs to be addressed and fixed~
2016-6-17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules