Focussing the Zenmuse X5 - it's crap!
2541 13 2016-3-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
thomas.straubin
lvl.1

Austria

Since 3 months I'm owning a Inspire 1 Pro, I'm using it for still photography. I have to say that it's really annoying how the focussing of the Zenmuse X5 works now. When calibrating the focus to infinity, you can not be absolutely sure that the focus is in place until you check the full resolution image on your pc. I really hate that! I have lost a few pictures now due to slightly unfocused images... I think many users are not aware of this issue, because they don't recognize it when pictures are just a little out of focus.

Also if you finally made it to have the lens in perfect focus, you are always in danger to loose it again. An accidantally tap on the (tablet/phone)screen and you have a good chance that the lens is slightly out of focus again. It's really a hassle... I'm professional landscape photographer since many years now and i really love the Inspire 1 pro, but the way how you have to bring your Zenmuse X5 in focus is really crap. You don't have any kind of 100% control about the focus while being "out in the field" - which makes it always a kind of gambling.

2016-3-29
Use props
R&L Aerial
Second Officer
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

I know what your saying, it is frustrating this is why I take many, many photos to get the one I'm looking for. I would say out of 20 photos around 1 or 2 are what I call "keepers"
2016-3-29
Use props
harb
lvl.2
Flight distance : 99986539 ft
Australia

if you are into stills as a profession I would say the inspire is not really your best tool........you might be much better off with one of the pro models and carry a DSLR instead........recon you could do it at a similar price even using a Lightbridge 2 to preview shots...
2016-3-29
Use props
R&L Aerial
Second Officer
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

harb@bigpond.ne Posted at 2016-3-29 09:46
if you are into stills as a profession I would say the inspire is not really your best tool........ ...

Sorry harb, I was talking about the x5 on the osmo.
2016-3-29
Use props
dopeytree
lvl.4
Flight distance : 6716467 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I haven't checked in a  while but with the phantom it could transfer a higher res copy of the photos back to the iPad. Might be able to that while in flight or another thing is use focus peaking. I now also have the focus remote thing. Haven't used it much to be honest as it's normally sharp.
2016-3-29
Use props
thomas.straubin
lvl.1

Austria

harb@bigpond.ne Posted at 2016-3-29 15:46
if you are into stills as a profession I would say the inspire is not really your best tool........ ...

I have made the decision to use an Inspire 1 Pro for several reasons. Of course an DSLR would be nicer regarding the image quality, but the image quality of the Zenmuse X5 is adequate for my needs.

I don't think that saying "go to an DSLR drone" is a good advice,... the problem is that you are not able to check if your stills are 100% in focus if you are out in the field. That's a design problem of the Inspire 1 Pro, not a problem with the decisions i have made.

/edit
I think it would be easy for DJI to fix this issue. If it would be possible to get an 100% view of an still after capturing it, you could easy check if the focus is good or not.
2016-3-30
Use props
DJI-Tim
DJI team

Hong Kong

Your feedback has been passed to RD, we'll keep working on improvements of the focusing system of X5
2016-3-30
Use props
domidragon90
lvl.2

Switzerland

Thanks Tim for passing it to RD.
It's hard to get the right focus, especially on an Android. When does peaking come to Android? I'm waiting for months now

THX
2016-3-30
Use props
thomas.straubin
lvl.1

Austria

DJI-Tim Posted at 2016-3-30 13:26
Your feedback has been passed to RD, we'll keep working on improvements of the focusing system of X5

Thanks Tim, great to hear!
2016-3-30
Use props
janton9736
New

United States

DJI-Tim Posted at 2016-3-30 19:26

I am glad to see DJI continues to listen to its users to improve its products.
2016-3-30
Use props
HAILSTONE AERIA
lvl.2
Flight distance : 536781 ft
New Zealand

I know exactly what you are saying. And I agree with you whole heartedly.

I am also having lots of trouble with the focus. And its annoying because you always get the same questions. Did you calibrate the lens, are you in MF mode. YES!

The main issue is the calibration. We are lead to believe that if we calibrate the lens to a high contrast object at least 50m away then everything from 25m to infinity will be in focus, but its not!

What I have found is that you should calibrate the lens when you are flying. Then calibrate the lens on the area you want to be in focus. For landscape this could be at least 300m probably more not 50m!

This is a real issue with these things, because the amount of times I have taken photos, and they looked fine on the iPad, but then when I got home and looked at them on my computer and found out they were actually out of focus, well it feels like a lottery, and its not acceptable for something that is supposed to be a really good camera.
2016-10-25
Use props
MrSilicon
lvl.3
Flight distance : 6693586 ft
Australia

I also agree. Focusing with the X5 is too hit & miss, and calibration isn't reliable.

I hate how when you swap out a lens you have to re-calibrate the focus. I mean there is a lens profile in the GO App, so why can't it remember what focus calibration settings each lens has.

90% of the time I fly with the Olympus 12mm so I don't even bother with focusing through the App, I just dial infinity in manually on the lens. Unfortunately not all lenses allow you to do this.

If you are flying at the beach, for example, you don't have high contrast objects to lock on to. So how are you supposed to calibrate after a lens swap then?

A better solution is needed DJI.  
2016-10-26
Use props
Movin on
lvl.4
Flight distance : 173455 ft

United States

DJI-Tim Posted at 2016-3-30 04:26

Please try again.  This issue has gotten worse, not better, with the last FW upgrade.
2016-10-27
Use props
lvl.1
Flight distance : 9770 ft
Portugal

DJI-Tim Posted at 2016-3-30 03:26
Your feedback has been passed to RD, we'll keep working on improvements of the focusing system of X5

Hi Tim

Has there ever been a solution to this focussing issue? The focusing is truly horrific and highly frustrating when I have spent so much money on this device. Any tips on what to do will be greatly appreciated.

Regards
2018-4-17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules