lens and CMOS specifications
24486 12 2016-3-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
bob
lvl.1
United States

The manual reads:

"The Phantom 4 camera has been improved in terms of image quaility. Chromatic aberration has been reduced by 56% and lens distortion had been reduced by 36% compared to the Phantom 3 Professional"

Finding actual lens and CMOS specs seems like asking for keys to a secret kingdom... I recall camera manufacturers having similar policies when they first introduced DSLRs years ago. It was like pulling teeth to figure this stuff out. Now a-days Canon and Nikon seem to be more open with the CMOS/CCD and lens specs.

Anyone know the exact specs on the lens?  I'm looking to build the lens correction for Adobe Camera RAW.  One of my primary uses for the device is to superimpose objects into aerial stills and video.  I'd rather be doing match move and perspective matching onto corrected images rather than distorting objects to fit the source images.

I'm pretty confident the CMOS is the Sony Exmor. Exactly which Exmor CMOS would be nice to know.  According to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exmor the IMX377 appears to be the closest fit.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Info provided directly from DJI would be really really appreciated!
2016-3-29
Use props
DJI-Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft
Hong Kong

Hi, here is the specs of Phantom 4 Camera:
相机参数.JPG But unfortunately , we could not provide you other exact specs here. Please understanding.

2016-3-30
Use props
bob
lvl.1
United States

DJI-Paladin Posted at 2016-3-30 02:04
Hi, here is the specs of Phantom 4 Camera:
But unfortunately , we could not provide you other exact  ...

For anyone that is interested I've reverse engineered what I think are the specs. So far it appears to be working -- but I'll need at least 2 or 3 completed projects before I'm able to confirm with any certainty.

Focal length: 3.64mm
CMOS size: 6.25 x 4.68mm (7.81 diagonal)

And NO I don't understand why DJI can't provide more exact specs. I can appreciate they might think it's a business decision not to share the specs. My personal opinion is it is information needed by end users.
2016-3-30
Use props
terrylewis
First Officer
Flight distance : 3517287 ft
  • >>>
United States

bob@draftingboa Posted at 2016-3-30 21:29
For anyone that is interested I've reverse engineered what I think are the specs. So far it appear ...

bob,
  Did you see this thread: http://forum.dji.com/thread-47336-1-1.html?
May not help but worth a shot.....
2016-3-30
Use props
bob
lvl.1
United States

terrylewis Posted at 2016-3-30 06:38
bob,
  Did you see this thread: http://forum.dji.com/thread-47336-1-1.html?
May not help but worth ...

Thanks!  I was hoping someone who'd crashed one would post info.  I'm not an electrical engineer or any kind of engineer for that matter. So I'm no more knowledgable now than I was before I saw those images. But hopefully someone else on these forums is and can identify the CMOS.  
2016-3-30
Use props
bob
lvl.1
United States

bob@draftingboa Posted at 2016-3-30 06:29
For anyone that is interested I've reverse engineered what I think are the specs. So far it appear ...

Refining my math and working under the assumption that this is a Sony IMX377 CMO.  Additional assumption is the 90 degree FOV as stated by DJI printed literature is accurate.  These assumptions result in approx. a 3.6125mm focal length with the following CMOS dimensions for 4k 30fps video and 3k x 4k still images.  Hope this helps others.

Phantom 4 Lens Focal Length Calculations
2016-4-5
Use props
Sebb
Second Officer
Flight distance : 498199 ft
  • >>>
Germany

bob@draftingboa Posted at 2016-4-5 20:17
Refining my math and working under the assumption that this is a Sony IMX377 CMO.  Additional assu ...

if you are wondering about the focal lenght of the P4 camera.. that s not a secret. It s 20mm full frame equivalent.

1 2/3" sensor size has 5.64 crop factor, so 20mm equivalent comes out as 3,546mm actual focal length on Phantom. So your math checks out!

BTW 20mm is much more suitable for aerial video than the Hero4 or P2+ at 14mm, it s just too wideangle. Sadly, the new Typhoon H is also 14mm. It is 1 reason for me to reconsider buying it and go for P4. For filming the P4 optics are much nicer. P3A/P also had this focal lenght, as does I1 X3 cam.

last note: the different frame rates / resolutions actually take a very slightly different crop of the sensor = end up having a very slightly - but visible - different focal lenght. i'd be very curious to see a comparison test with a still frame setup.
2016-4-6
Use props
bob
lvl.1
United States

Sebb Posted at 2016-4-6 07:13
if you are wondering about the focal lenght of the P4 camera.. that s not a secret. It s 20mm full  ...

"20mm equivalent" is an guesstimate. It's not a spec.

Just say'n

When matching to a 3d render actual focal length and focal plane dimensions is paramount to getting a perspective match. Lens distortion is another subject, but hopefully someone will engineer a Camera RAW distortion correction for the new lens soon.

When Nikon and Canon first released professional grade digital cameras they attempted to keep the size of the CCD a proprietary secret.  And to this day manufacturers want to release marketing data about 35 mm equivalent focal lengths.  For marketing that's great. But for doing real perspective matching knowledge of actual focal length and CCD sizes is pretty consistently available from manufactures of dSLR cameras.

I suspect drone manufacturers will someday follow suit. But for now it leaves those of us on the bleeding edge of technology to be forced to make assumptions. When I'm preparing documents that potentially have binding consequences -- it can be frustrating to be basing my work on assumptions.

Thanks for looking at the math and stating you believe it is accurate. For the record it's only as accurate as the two assumptions I've made.
2016-4-7
Use props
jwt873
Second Officer
Flight distance : 6754350 ft
Canada

bob@draftingboa Posted at 2016-4-7 10:59
"20mm equivalent" is an guesstimate. It's not a spec.

Just say'n

The P4 lens and a 20mm lens for a 35mm camera do have the same horizontal 94 degree field of view (or angle of view).   Theoretically they should be exactly the same.

But, what makes it comparing apples and oranges is the fact that the sensors have different aspect ratios.  A 35mm camera is 3:2 wile the P4 is 16:9 (or 1.9:1 in 4K).  Because of this we can't make a direct comparison.

But...  For some reason most lens manufacturers try use 35mm lenses as the standard.  I guess because of the ubiquity of the 35mm camera for so many years.

2016-4-7
Use props
bob
lvl.1
United States

jwt873@gmail.co Posted at 2016-4-7 09:41
The P4 lens and a 20mm lens for a 35mm camera do have the same horizontal 94 degree field of view  ...

you've nailed it... Is the 94 degree diagonal FOV for the 3x4 still image, or the entire circle projected by the lens, or one of the many video formats???  Also, is it a 94.1 degree FOV or maybe 89.9??? We don't know. Based on my doing camera match for many years the only real way to know is to have the actual focal length and the real specs for the CCD/CMOS. Otherwise there are too many variables in the equation and too many opportunities for error.
2016-4-8
Use props
Sebb
Second Officer
Flight distance : 498199 ft
  • >>>
Germany

bob@draftingboa Posted at 2016-4-8 22:34
you've nailed it... Is the 94 degree diagonal FOV for the 3x4 still image, or the entire circle pr ...

Bob, could you enlighten us as to what you are actually trying to find out?

Sensor size is 1 2/3". it is used for 16:9 video or for 16:9/4:3 photos. Here is all the data on it: LINK
Lens is f2.8 constant aperture, 20mm equivalent rectilinear wideangle. lens correction is applied as video is recorded.
what info are you missing?
due to different sensor crops being used for all the video and photo modes, you will end up with different FOV °s. Thats expected.

Of course, lens isnt exactly 20,00mm. If you wanna find out absolute exact FOV, then math wont help you, you have to optically measure.

if you want to create a better lens correction profiles, there is an Adobe tool for that. You shoot reference grids and visually correct them with that software. it is not a lot of fun.
Also, Adobe will most likely publish a profile in their next lightroom update, as they did with P3, so RAW photos can be corrected.
however, this isnt a 2000€ Leica lens. Its a 7$ piece of plastic $§%§ lens. it s never gonna be very accurate.

Not sure where all this math comes in really. What are you trying to do?

2016-4-9
Use props
Pawell
lvl.4
Flight distance : 990256 ft
Poland

I know why they will not tell us what sensor they use. Imagine telling someone with an inspire 2 with X4 camera has the same sensor as the Phantom 4 pro (by the way that is the case).
2018-1-17
Use props
Glitchy
lvl.1

bob@draftingboa Posted at 2016-3-30 05:29
For anyone that is interested I've reverse engineered what I think are the specs. So far it appears to be working -- but I'll need at least 2 or 3 completed projects before I'm able to confirm with any certainty.

Focal length: 3.64mm

Weird...finding so many modificationa nd versions of the specs.  But for Camera-Matching in PFtrack the specs you provided seem to work the best.  Thank you.
2018-6-25
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules