Long Range Extenders (DBS Mods & ARGtek) for P4
18618 26 2016-3-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Thacyoon
lvl.2

Norway

Hello all,

I am considering buying a proper long range extender for my P4. Anyone have any experience with these two extenders:
BlueProton - ARGtek long range extender for Phantom 4
DBS Mods - long range extender for Phantom 4

I like the BlueProton ARGtek modification better than the DBS Mods because of the clean look and smaller end-result footprint than the DBS Mod, however, I can imagine the DBS Mod is a better product(?). I dont need extreeme range, 2-3x the standard range is enough. The main motivation for these extenders is to combat my 'signal polluted area'.

Anyone with experience regarding these two products with Phantom 3 Advanced/Professional?

Regards,
Thacyoon

2016-3-30
Use props
DJI-Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft
Hong Kong

There are no official extenders availble and basically DJI does not recommend any hardware interference. Please notice that warranty will be voided by doing so.
But if you want some advice ,  some experienced users may help you.
2016-3-30
Use props
bobasbury
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1140502 ft
  • >>>
United States

I have never heard of the first one.  I can tell you that DBS Mods is very popular and the maker is a pioneer in long-range flight. (I remember when he was publishing 1-mile+ flights on a Parrot AR 2.0!)  He also has a very active and helpful Facebook group.
2016-3-30
Use props
Thacyoon
lvl.2

Norway

bobasbury Posted at 2016-3-30 12:49
I have never heard of the first one.  I can tell you that DBS Mods is very popular and the maker is  ...

Thanks for answering, yes you are probably right. However, the DBS Mod cost twice the money and has a 'clumpy' end result/design. The ARGtek is more clean-looking, but probably less range. I hope someone here has tried the ARGtek on a Phantom 3 Advanced/Professional and can give some feedback.
2016-3-30
Use props
Thacyoon
lvl.2

Norway

DJI-Paladin Posted at 2016-3-30 12:44
There are no official extenders availble and basically DJI does not recommend any hardware interfere ...

Yeah, I know, I will be very carefull
2016-3-30
Use props
bobasbury
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1140502 ft
  • >>>
United States

Thacyoon Posted at 2016-3-30 19:43
Thanks for answering, yes you are probably right. However, the DBS Mod cost twice the money and has ...

If you want maximum result for minimum money, get yourself a windsurfer.  They're cheap, and you can even make your own.  Further, it won't void your warranty.  If you want maximum range, DBS is the way.
2016-3-30
Use props
R&L Aerial
First Officer
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

I have the DBS mod, and while it works ok you can get the same range with 20 dollar windsurfers you buy on eBay. Don't waste your money.
2016-3-30
Use props
R&L Aerial
First Officer
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

Also the blue proton is doing the exact same thing as a windsurfer, it's simply pointing all your signal strength in one direction.
2016-3-30
Use props
Flying Poptart
lvl.3
Flight distance : 734577 ft
United States

I've installed about 5 of these DBS Mods. They work as stated but you have to remember to point the panel towards your drone to achieve maximum connection. Standing just a little off of a straight line  results in a connection like stock antenna's.

For best results I'd go with a nice windsurfer mod. It has a wider directional angle to the drone and you don't have to be as precise as you do with the DBS Mod.

I've stopped installing these DBS Mods for people because the expectation is higher than it actually works. People like to enjoy themselves while flying and not concentrating on alignment.

But if you need the coolness of this thing and like your warranty blown go for it.

2016-3-30
Use props
pgrover516
Banned

United States

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2016-3-30
Use props
microcyb
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1095955 ft
United States

Argtek works and DBS also works.  DBS users have stated bit more solid ranges.
But also scan amazon, etc as others are out there such as a windsurfer that will not void your warranty with DJI.

Remember, you will void your warranty once you perform this, so I would suggest a winder-surfer first.
http://www.amazon.com/TACO-RC-Pa ... urfer/dp/B015DTWD8Y
2016-3-30
Use props
Thacyoon
lvl.2

Norway

Thanks for the replies folks. I'l start with a windsurfer and see if I am happy with that. If not, then I will mod my RC
2016-3-31
Use props
chiupolini
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1196755 ft
Hong Kong

Windsurfer is fine. But the DBS Mod gives you at least 10% to 20% more range, and importantly, the signal diminishes gradually instead of going out all of a sudden as windsurfer does.
2016-5-17
Use props
Ricardo
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4356421 ft
United States

140#

I have a P3A and I could get around 2 miles with the windsurfer boosters. They work great, but I have an area where I couldn't get to unless I could travel a little farther, so I tried the Artek Blue-Proton antenna boosters. About $60 and yes you have to take the controller apart, but honestly no big deal just as long as you take your time. Took probably 20-30 minutes. No issues at all. WOW, these things are amazing. I have been 15,000 ft. with strong signal both video & controller. That's far enough for me and I took my pics and traveled back home with 30% power left. Wouldn't think you could go a whole lot farther without chance of running out of power. I flew same path as with the windsurfers, and have travelled this route now several times with same results, windsurfers  can't get me that far. The Artek gives better all around signal wherever I go over the stock or windsurfer ones. I like the fact I don't have to take anything off of the stock antennas....I just fold them down and they fit in my case perfectly. I did also do the channel hack, not sure if that really helped but I stay on channel 22 and don't have any problems. Of course like all of you mention, this route I am talking about is over the water, free of any obstructions, etc. I can't do that over the city, but 2-miles is not a problem.
I would assume it will work with your P4 just fine.
2016-5-17
Use props
Cale262
lvl.3

Canada

Parabolic reflectors are fine (windsurfer) but DBS Mods ItElite is the way to go if you want an installed antenna solution and MAXXUAV.com offers a clean install pkg which is very nice.

https://www.maxxuav.com/collecti ... s/dji-clean-install

https://www.maxxuav.com/collecti ... e-booster-ite-dbs02

Or you can go with a fully boosted kit, here's one of mine on a P3P.

2016-5-17
Use props
MGR57
lvl.2

Argentina

I am happy with the results with the parabolic I bought off Amazon.   They definitely seem to improve range.  But antenna placement is important.
2016-10-11
Use props
Jim Pensinger
lvl.1

United States

The parabolic extenders you put on the antennas just focus the signal.  The gain you get in one direction will make the alignment of the aircraft to the controller antennas more critical.  Think of a  megaphone.
2016-10-11
Use props
Air54
lvl.1

I did the IteLite MAXXRANGE Antenna (Full Kit) (https://www.maxxuav.com/collecti ... ge-antenna-full-kit), plus an upgrade to the iPad Mini 4 (better processor) to take care of the video signal cutting out on short & mid-range distances.  The install instructions were easy to follow and I am very happy with the results.  Works pretty good off-axis too.  I have no intention of flying 6 miles away with this, just needed a better video signal for my cinematography work.
2016-10-11
Use props
timenudge
lvl.1

South Korea

I saw many research video about range extenders and my conclusion is that parabolic extender is enough and DBS is too much.
because parabolic extender is cheap and the reach can be match with DBS.
and you can still have warranty service
2016-10-11
Use props
Randy2747
lvl.1

United States

So what is better Argtek or  ItElite MaxxRange Antenna? I am new to drones and just bought my P3A about two weeks ago... Which would you recommend? I know signal depends on a lot but roughly how far cab both of these go? And idea?
2017-1-23
Use props
Sprtbkrydr
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3777011 ft
United States

Randy2747 Posted at 2017-1-23 11:45
So what is better Argtek or  ItElite MaxxRange Antenna? I am new to drones and just bought my P3A about two weeks ago... Which would you recommend? I know signal depends on a lot but roughly how far cab both of these go? And idea?

I have both and the Maxxrange is the way to go. But I do run mine boosted.
2017-1-24
Use props
fans7b31b85d
New
Flight distance : 131877 ft
United States

R&L Aerial  Posted at 2016-3-30 04:32
I have the DBS mod, and while it works ok you can get the same range with 20 dollar windsurfers you buy on eBay. Don't waste your money.

Replying to R&L aerial..

The parabolic reflector can approach the range of the standalone $100  ITElite Dbs antenna if your more careful at the direction you point them.. but the Dbs can be held more flat in a natural position.. and its range in my experience is alittle more then parabolics.. thing is dbs is only an antenna.. and it can be purchased in a much better kit with a booster thatll blow away any parabolic..

The Evolite kit (which pairs the dbs antenna with two boosters and a battery.) blows away the standalone dbs antenna because It isnt  just a better antenna .. it actually puts out more broadcasting power.

https://www.maxxuav.com/collections/dji-phantom-4/products/dji-evolite-kit-plus

I did parabolic at first...its cheap but not too secure when you fly alot like me-the rubber gaskets dont last ( if you bought the better parabolics that have the rubber) and certainly cheapens the look of a 1600 drone and it looks very "mickey mouse"...

Bought the the ITElite dbs .. then later got the evo kit for those that already have the dbs.. two versions of evo.. one with dbs and boosters... one with just boosters for those who already have a dbs or the maxx antenna..
2017-6-22
Use props
fans7b31b85d
New
United States

Flying Poptart Posted at 2016-3-30 04:46
I've installed about 5 of these DBS Mods. They work as stated but you have to remember to point the panel towards your drone to achieve maximum connection. Standing just a little off of a straight line  results in a connection like stock antenna's.

For best results I'd go with a nice windsurfer mod. It has a wider directional angle to the drone and you don't have to be as precise as you do with the DBS Mod.

This is a year later..Have youtried the evokits with radio boosters on the maxxuav website?
2017-6-22
Use props
fans7b31b85d
New
United States

Flying Poptart Posted at 2016-3-30 04:46

Its a year later.. have you tried the evokit (radio boosters paired with a dbs antenna) on the maxxuav.com website?? Goodstuff
2017-6-22
Use props
Nelsonlee
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2779203 ft
  • >>>
Malaysia

Here is the information that you needed.

DJI Phantom 4 Pro Plus - 1st Stock Antennas Range Test

DJI Phantom 4 Pro Plus - 2nd Stock Antenas Range Test

DJI Phantom 4 Pro Plus ARGtek Wifi Signal Range Extender installation Guide (English Version)

DJI Phantom 4 Pro Plus - ARGtek 2.4/5.8GHz Dual Band Panel Range Test 4220m (Selected 2 4G Channel)

DJI P4P Plus - ARGtek 2.4/5.8GHz Dual Band Panel Range Test 6010m (Selected 5.8G Auto Channel)

2017-6-22
Use props
jazzyjeff
lvl.4
United States

The Argtek works excellent on the Phantom 3 Standard and allows the drone to get the same range as the Phantom 3 Adv/Pro if not more. I was extremely surprised on the range I got on a Wifi only drone. Its a real good mod.
2018-7-21
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

What you do in situations like this is research a bit and figure out what the experts are using.  They have already solved all the questions and problems.  So in this case you're trying to figure out which antenna is superior - the ARGTEK or the ITELITE.  So study the long distance list and count how many pilots use the ARGTEK and count how many pilots use the ITELITE.  There you will find your answer.

https://phantompilots.com/thread ... -leaderboard.72554/

Good luck
2018-7-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules