Registered with the FAA, now what?
1346 11 2016-3-31
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
dmize
lvl.1

United States

I registered with the FAA as a hobbyist.  Just bought my Phantom on a whim and so its just a toy.  Is there anything else I need to do?  If I decide to use it for commercial use what else do I need to do?
2016-3-31
Use props
microcyb
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1095955 ft
United States

Well that is a good question. The regular hobbyist just needs to slap on his FAA number on his bird, and away you go.
Commercial is slightly different and new rules are in the works.
Example: For real estate you need a 333 exemption from the FAA, but for other type of film and production work is another matter.
Is has gotten way out there in what you can and cannot do that people are quite lost.
https://www.faa.gov/uas/legislat ... ction_333/333_faqs/

Good news, it that the FAA have been working on making some new changes so hopefully this helps us all.
In short, if you are not charging to fly for a customer to make a profit then you are fine.

2016-3-31
Use props
CaptRuss
lvl.2

United States

With regard to commercial operation of your UAV, in addition to the FAA 333 exemption mentioned by micro, above  (http://www.faa.gov/uas/legislative_programs/section_333/), you will also need to register your UAV a second time, on paper.  See this:

http://www.faa.gov/licenses_cert ... rcraft_registry/UA/ , and this:

http://www.faa.gov/uas/registration/  (specifically, the link indicating the following:  "...Owners must register their UAS by paper if it meets the following guidelines: ... You are required by a Section 333 Exemption or a certificate of waiver or authorization...")

I confirmed with my regional FAA District Office representative just yesterday in fact (lol) that, even though the pilot & UAV may possess a registration for recreational use (an "FA..." number), if the UAV will also be used for commercial purposes, then a *second* registration & registration number are necessary, and this second registration number will in fact be an "N..." number, just like a Piper Archer, Cessna 172, etc. in the US would possess.  He also indicated that the converse holds true:  If one possesses the necessary commercial registration (& corresponding "N..." number), and they wish to fly their UAV on, say, weekends simply for fun, then they must also obtain a second [non-commercial use] registration & corresponding, second "FA..." registration number.  In these events, both numbers would have to be affixed to the aircraft.  Hey, I don't make the rules ;) .

As micro indicated, the FAA is presently revisiting all these requirements, but no one foresees things either changing or happening any time 'soon' ;) .

Hope this helps-  Russ
2016-3-31
Use props
Kit Walker
lvl.3

Australia

Wow, Australian laws are so lax. A glimpse of the future perhaps.
2016-3-31
Use props
dmize
lvl.1

United States

What stickers do yall use to put your registration number on your drown?
2016-3-31
Use props
quickpoint
lvl.4

United States

dmize Posted at 2016-3-31 18:18

i don't use stickers,   i used a sharpie marker and wrote my information on my battery inside the drone.   also my cellphone number and reward.

On the outside of the battery i wrote OPEN on it.   

Your registration information can be inside the battery compartment as long as the battery doesn't require tools to open it.   

I also put note pad file on my memory card called "REWARD IF FOUND"   inside the text document i have my contact information as well.    never know what is gonna happen but i would like my drone back if its lost
2016-3-31
Use props
daveyo240
lvl.1

Canada

Do I need to register my drone in Canada?     Can anyone help me please .
2016-3-31
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>

daveyo240 Posted at 2016-4-1 07:29
Do I need to register my drone in Canada?     Can anyone help me please .

Here you go.
http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/civilavi ... .mc_id=hruzf#safety
2016-3-31
Use props
SVTRay
lvl.3

United States

CaptRuss Posted at 2016-4-1 03:48
With regard to commercial operation of your UAV, in addition to the FAA 333 exemption mentioned by m ...

This^

A lot of people over look the part where you register differently for commercial usage. These must be official FAA forms and not computer print outs. Now I hard the FAA is supposed to introduce an online version of registration for commercial registration and be implemented this Spring. I haven't heard much since about it.
2016-3-31
Use props
dehnstjohn
lvl.2
Flight distance : 198957 ft
United States

dmize Posted at 2016-3-31 16:18

No stickers for me.  I just wrote the number on each battery.
2016-4-1
Use props
dkruseski
lvl.3
Flight distance : 791184 ft

dehnstjohn@gmai Posted at 2016-4-2 03:41
No stickers for me.  I just wrote the number on each battery.

What if your battery is ejected and not with your Phantom when it's found?

I used a label maker. Put it below the Phantom sign on the front of the bird. Looks pretty good there.
2016-4-1
Use props
dehnstjohn
lvl.2
Flight distance : 198957 ft
United States

dkruseski Posted at 2016-4-1 14:04
What if your battery is ejected and not with your Phantom when it's found?

I used a label maker. P ...

Good point.  Guess I'll put a decal on it.
2016-4-1
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules