Thread for Newbies
311924 916 2014-9-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
swhalen002
New

United States

I will be purchasing the Phantom 2 Vision+. What editing program can be used with this video camera. I am hoping there is something similar to the gp editing I have been using. Thanks
2014-11-11
Use props
timsalways
New

United States

paulfkcc Posted at 2014-10-14 11:30
I'm trying to assemble an S1000 for the first time and I don't know my butt from first base.  My uni ...

make the thing go round
2014-11-11
Use props
deepan89
lvl.1
Singapore

Hi guys,
I recently got my P2VP & flew it a couple of times. It hasn't crash or drop ever since but lately it started to act strange. It doesn't lock GPS homepoint (Green LED) like before. The Phantom vision app requires me to calibrate everytime & still the LEDs are slow flashing yellow & at times yellow to red!
Like some of them posted here the support hasn't gotten back to me too. I'm a film student & I saved my money just to get this for my indie film making. Pls help.
2014-11-12
Use props
paul.harris
New

South Africa

Hi

I am struggling to link my new RC to my drone?  I have tried to follow the linking procedure in the manual, but the LED light continues to flash orange.  Any suggestions?
2014-11-13
Use props
Irphred
lvl.1

United States

gailbellenger@y Posted at 2014-11-9 08:48
Hi, I have a Phantom 2 Quad and the Wifi has never stayed connected for more than a second or two. I ...

I have the exact same problem.  I returned my unit (Phantom 2 Vision Plus) and DJI said there was nothing wrong with it.  My unit has the same problem on an Android cell phone as well as the i phone 5.  My neighbor also has the same unit and he has the same problem.  You're right, what's the point of purchasing the unit if the camera doesn't link with the phone via the Wifi?
2014-11-15
Use props
sjwwesson
New

Madagascar

I am a newbie and am awed by the DJV+......my advice so far after a couple of flights is....
1> Get some prop guards and spare props....my office wall has my first flight memorised in the plaster board !
2> Be gentle with the controls, sounds obvious...
3> I started up first in a large office tethered by 4 water containers...This immediately taught me that this thing is fricken powerful and needs to be handled gently....don't be put off, the DJV is much more stable in the open air when you have GPS LOCK
4> Have just started to use Ground Station, difficult to use on a phone without a sun/glare shield.
5> Make a checklist of all the things you have to do before take off....include putting the memory card in the camera.....we won't talk about that mission !
Happy landings....
2014-11-15
Use props
Irphred
lvl.1

United States

gailbellenger@y Posted at 2014-11-9 08:48
Hi, I have a Phantom 2 Quad and the Wifi has never stayed connected for more than a second or two. I ...

Hey, someone on the blog just told me to take my cell phone, select wifi, and take it off of "search".  Apparently cell phones continually search for the strongest wifi signal, which causes the Phantom 2 to break the connection.  I took my cell phone off of wifi search, and the problem of the "Broken connection" seems to have gone away.  
2014-11-16
Use props
willyboy36
New

Malaysia

im planning to get my DJI Phantom 2 v+ ending this month....but after reading all the comment the threat here im just scared to buy 1 and if it flyaway ,, i think i will hang myself...Sould i buy or not to buy
2014-11-17
Use props
MalcB
lvl.2

United Kingdom

hd_ultra@msn.co Posted at 2014-9-28 23:01
Newbie? It'll save you going through pages and pages...                                 Phantompilot ...

Lots of good comments and help - Especially the comment about reading the manual

Thanks
2014-11-18
Use props
Irphred
lvl.1

United States

willyboy36 Posted at 2014-11-18 06:48
im planning to get my DJI Phantom 2 v+ ending this month....but after reading all the comment the th ...

Yes you should buy one.  The key is to read the information that comes with the phantom, and watch the Youtube videos regarding flying the unit.  Then relax, go through each step, and most importantly, don't act like a 14 year old kid by zooming off into space at max speed.  Get used to the unit.  I strongly recommend making the skids longer because of the vortex or down draft caused by the props when landing.  When you land, the unit will attempt to hop.  And if you try to shut it off, it might drag the nose and props on the pavement.  Take your time, relax and have fun.  
Oh, to lengthen the skids, you can use a paint stick.  Drill three sets of holes in the stick.  Place the wooden paint stick under the PVC skid on the Phantom.  Mark the sets of holes on each side of the skid.  Make the holes on the wooden stick large enough to put plastic wire ties through the holes, then attach the paint stick to the skid.   Use the paint sticks until you learn how to fly the unit.   You can get the paint sticks free at Home Depot in the paint department or any place which sells house paint or paint for automotive use .    You can purchase long skids on Youtube where someone has done a Phantom video, but the paint stick works extremely well and it's free.  I spray painted mine black and it looks like it is OEM on the Phantom.  The longer skids also work wonders when landing on grass.  Again the longer skids keep the Phantom from going nose first and damaging the props.  Good luck.  And remember, you'll learn from your mistakes.  Just take it easy and make your mistakes small.

Oh, here is a link regarding lengthing the skids, and why you might want to lengthen them.  
2014-11-19
Use props
michael
New

United States

Hello from Texas! Got the P2V+ yesterday.   Read everything that came with it.  Read a bunch on these forums.  Watched some videos.  Thank you all for the information you put out there.
Now, I see many references to software.  I have the app on my phone.  It syncs with the camera fine.  What software and what updates are you talking about?  I'm not flying this thing until I'm sure I have everything connected and running.  
So far I've downloaded the app.  Charged the batteries and the wifi range extender.  Powered everything up, saw lights flash, heard tones, saw FPV with the smart phone, the props spun up, etc.  Didn't try to fly.  
So...what software?
2014-11-20
Use props
Molaison
New

United States

edgar.phil@gmai Posted at 2014-10-27 05:57
Hi - I'm a newbie and just completed my first flights. Naturally I had a bad landing and chipped a c ...

It will fly but not efficiently and with a lot of wobbling and vibration which in turn could loosen various parts. I bought blade guards.
2014-11-21
Use props
paddymc
New

United Kingdom

hd_ultra@msn.co Posted at 2014-9-28 23:01
Newbie? It'll save you going through pages and pages...                                 Phantompilot ...

This has got to be the best post i have seen it covers all even  (The ‘7th channel’ lever) thank you
2014-11-21
Use props
hackenberg.n
New

Hungary

Hello everyone,

We've just created 2 month ago this webpage www.dronethusiast.com and we are really curious to have your opinion on it.
But also if anyone wants to participate or wants to share some information we are open and more than happy to listen to your ideas and Drone Adventures.

Looking forward to hear from you guys!!!!

http://snip.ly/fv1J
2014-11-21
Use props
Irphred
lvl.1

United States

michael@fhaar.o Posted at 2014-11-21 05:00
Hello from Texas! Got the P2V+ yesterday.   Read everything that came with it.  Read a bunch on thes ...

Michael, the DJI website has software called "RC" and "PT2" for the transmitter and the Phantom.  You plug each unit into your USB port (one at a time)  and click on the link where you can check to see if the firmware loaded on each unit, is up to date.  If not, it will tell you what the latest update is.    Also be sure and turn off the "Wifi search" feature on your cell phone, or you'll get a message that there is a "Broken Connection" when you try to link up to the Phantom camera.  Good luck.  Oh, are you sure your name isn't "Jackie"   LOL.
2014-11-21
Use props
javier_solis06
New

United States

how to bind the new RC version 2 flight controller to my original P2V+?
2014-11-21
Use props
Irphred
lvl.1

United States

javier_solis06@ Posted at 2014-11-22 14:01
how to bind the new RC version 2 flight controller to my original P2V+?

I'm not sure if you are talking about linking the Wifi controller to the camera, or if you're talking about downloading the RC and PT2 programs to your computer so you can calibrate your radio and the Phantom and get upgrades.  If you're talking about the latter, remember to download the driver for Windows PC if that's what you're using.  Here is the link for the downloads.  I believe for your Phantom 2 Vision +, you'll want to go all the way to the bottom of the list of downloads.  http://www.dji.com/product/phantom-2-vision-plus/download
2014-11-21
Use props
javier_solis06
New

United States

Irphred Posted at 2014-11-22 14:37
I'm not sure if you are talking about linking the Wifi controller to the camera, or if you're talk ...

I just figured out how to update and bind. Thank you!
2014-11-21
Use props
Irphred
lvl.1

United States

javier_solis06@ Posted at 2014-11-22 15:16
I just figured out how to update and bind. Thank you!

I just ran across a how to use the RC and PT2, video.  You might enjoy seeing it.
2014-11-22
Use props
raydec
New

United States

tommyrogers Posted at 2014-11-4 21:04
Thanks, I have a 2014 Stingray how about you ?

Just bought a 2014 C7.  Love it.  Am waiting for delivery of my P2V+.  Hope it's as easy to fly as they say.
2014-11-23
Use props
MacCool
lvl.3

United States

New member - purchased a  Vision+ v2.0, hasn't arrived yet. I have a few GoPros that I use for autocross, snowmobiling....I wish I could have the plug-and-play OSD and app capability with a Hero 3+, but....oh well. My primary interest is in using it as a photography and video tool. I have about 40 years experience in R/C (all airplanes and cars) as well as many years as a laparoendocopic and robotic surgeon, which constitutes my only experienced with FPV. Many years of video games too, and a long time private pilot. NO experience with FPV in R/C, and my only epxperience with helicopters is an AR Drone - which is an interesting toy, but....I'm fascinated by the concept and the technology. Looking forward to the experience.
2014-11-24
Use props
mhaislet
lvl.4

United States

New here from Wisconsin I have a DJI phantom 2 plus and a FC40 as back up love the stuff!!
Pre ordering the Inspire asap after Tday...

Here is some footage shot of my new Dodge Hellcat Challenger being delivered using a P2v+(below)
One of the first Hellcat Challengers shipped via my friends at SRT.. The inspire should be a blast at racing events Texas Mile here we come!! Only Hellcat with its own drone )

Hope to learn a lot here ty

Video of 2015 hellcat home delivery
BTW weather was crappy 15 degrees with a 15 -20 mph wind shooting time was precious and the PV2+ worked like a charm cant wait for my Inspire with dual controllers Look for my order DJI !!

Also here is footage from what I call my trainer Uav a fc40  on last 4th of July at our summer home more video to come from that local for sure!
2014-11-24
Use props
mhaislet
lvl.4

United States

Ordered My Inspire 1 just now!!
2014-11-24
Use props
michael
New

United States

Irphred Posted at 2014-11-22 07:56
Michael, the DJI website has software called "RC" and "PT2" for the transmitter and the Phantom.  Y ...

Irphred thank you for the reply.  Nope, not Jackie...just 'the great one'LOL
2014-11-25
Use props
droneflyers.com
Second Officer
Flight distance : 60709 ft
  • >>>
United States

Newbies.......

We have published two eBooks to help folks get started with Quadcopters in general (1) and DJI Phantoms (2).
They are both FREE for download over the Thanksgiving USA holiday (that means until this sunday inclusive!
http://www.droneflyers.com/2014/ ... ving-4-day-holiday/

They are normally $3.99 in downloadable eBook and a bit more if you want a paperback.

These are for people with little or no experience - the idea if that instead of digging around for many hours and trying to figure out what is helpful and correct, most of it is now in one place.

Enjoy - and I hope a bunch of you get to download it free this weekend - spread the word! I will also make both books free on Dec. 24 (Christmas Eve Day)...but that's the limit because Amazon only allows me to do it for a total of 5 days!

Happy Holidays!

2014-11-28
Use props
info
New

United States

Hello

Question for any one who can answer it. I have the newest of the DJI 2 with the compass attached to the leg in the little case.
How can I put Or can I put larger legs on DJI without damaging the Compass? In order to put new legs on I have to remove the compass.
Is this possible and will it work if its not in the protective housing?

Thanks

Tim
2014-12-3
Use props
eyes4art
New

Singapore

Hi

I got my P2V+ for a week now.  Is there any forum where likeminded share their aerial video and photos?

Thanks.
2014-12-5
Use props
kjkisatsky
lvl.3

United States

Skypixel.com   Looks like it just went online.
2014-12-5
Use props
k9quarz
lvl.1

United States

Irphred Posted at 2014-11-22 07:56
Michael, the DJI website has software called "RC" and "PT2" for the transmitter and the Phantom.  Y ...

Good tip cause no one really explains how to download firmware and software. Once your on the DJI website and found the software download, connect Phantom to computer with micro usb, turn on radio control, and then Phantom, THEN download. Makes it a snap to read your unit...
2014-12-13
Use props
fastbike.voss
New

United States

hello,
another noob here.
calibrated my new phantom with the NAZAM app and did the manual rotation of copter rotating it 360 around and forward 360.
all lights indicated that i did everything right.
the advanced calibration took too in the app.

i can't get the rotors to turn on though.
any advice?
thanks in advance.
brandon
2014-12-13
Use props
jason.kowkabzad
New

United Kingdom

Hi all made the mistake of buying an inferior drone and that is smash to bits in a box it was a freex, happy to say I have joined the dji Family now just charging up and hope to get a flight in tomorrow morning if the weather is ok.
2014-12-17
Use props
edgardbernardin
New

Brazil

When I put left stick down, it's turning off the engine (doing that like 5 seconds). Not doing anything fot the right stick. I had that suspect and I'm making some testes at home (without the propelers). Any ideas? I think
2014-12-22
Use props
davidtmartinez2
New

United States

rcowell@assetqu Posted at 2014-10-15 05:51
I am very new to flying the Phantom 2.   If I am going from location to location within 5 or 10 minu ...

If you are moving that far from each location, then yes, i'd re-set the compass each time. For me, it's not worth taking the risk. It only takes a few minutes and can potentially save you hundreds. Also, RTH will fly back to where the home point is, so if there's anything in the way like a tree or building, it's gonna hit it.
I say, Just do it!
2014-12-24
Use props
davidtmartinez2
New

United States

asaklettern@yah Posted at 2014-10-22 05:45
Hey guys, i am not sure if this is a stupid question but i have the phantom 2 and have a gimbal H3-3 ...

From what I was told, the GoPro uses a 2.4ghz signal to transmit to your phone which is the same signal the Phantom controller uses. Was told this is the reason for a lot of fly a ways. But i've also seen people say they use it all the time with no issues.
All I can say is that you need to make sure all the firmware is updated and everything is calibrated correctly.
I'm not gonna risk it with my unit, i'm going to wait till next month when I can afford the vid transmitter and use it that way. Good luck!
2014-12-24
Use props
davidtmartinez2
New

United States

rkroum Posted at 2014-10-26 08:14
Just opened my new PV2+.  Everything charged, RC assistant does not recognize controller.  Ideas?  R ...

If you're doing this on a PC you need to download and install the drivers as well. I kind of rushed past all that the first time but it all worked for me once i slowed down and, ready for this? Read the directions! Haha.
2014-12-24
Use props
davidtmartinez2
New

United States

Hi - I'm a newbie and just completed my first flights. Naturally I had a bad landing and chipped a c ...

I'm not 100% on this but i'm pretty sure you'll have unstable flights resulting from this. Maybe just use them to fly very close by and in an open area. Then when you really want to fly, switch them out for the new ones. Get a prop guard.
2014-12-24
Use props
jon.phillips
New

Australia

Hi.. I've just bought a Phantom 2. After unpacking and just firing up the motors for the first time (not flown yet, just in idle), I noticed that one propeller keeps stopping  and then restarting again as if it keeps getting stuck.

Any ideas of the issue or what to do next?

Thanks

Jon
2014-12-24
Use props
jmims
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1686991 ft
  • >>>
United States

It'll depend on how chipped they are, but chipped props are not good for smooth aerodynamics. Fortunately, you can get a new set from DJI for $15.  
2014-12-25
Use props
panddmacal
New

United States

Hello everyone. new to this whole quad business. But i can tell already i've fallen down a deep rabbit hole of upgrade spending. have had my P2V + for 3 days and already have a list of upgrades that'll make my wife shake her head in frustration.

I know it's early for me to be thinking range extener antenna upgrades and transmitter antenna upgrades, but do you experts have some recommendations so I can do more research?

Semper Fi
D
2014-12-27
Use props
twgchip
lvl.1

United States

kiteflyer60@yah Posted at 2014-10-10 01:53
The nano qx does not include the RC unit. Will the Phantom 2 vision + RC unit work with it?

No, DJI rc units do not use the same language as the Blade Nano QX. The Nano QX uses DSMX protocol. DJI typically uses FASST. Secondly, the P2 Vision and P2 Vision+ use 5.8ghz transmitters while DSMX is 2.4ghz.
2014-12-27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules