Thread for Newbies
312047 916 2014-9-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
dmbandx
lvl.1

United States

larry.reinstein Posted at 2015-4-24 03:20
I just received the P2V plus for my birthday with the New Remote  controller.
The left stick (thrott ...

Yep--the "stickiness" is actually a lock position they've apparently installed, but completely failed to mention in any of the instructions that come with it. I have a Phantom 2 V.2.0 (not to be confused with vision or vision+) and neither the instructions (which are for a Phantom 2 V.1.0), nor the updated control pamphlet NOR the paper band around the remote (which is the ONLY piece of instruction that even mentions how to stop the rotors once landed--it's not a dual-stick method anymore, it's ONLY the throttle) will tell you that click--or as you call it "sticky" position is (most likely) a safety feature that ensures it stays in that position so as not to suddenly throttle up or go bonkers if you let go of the stick suddenly and it "bounces" back up.
I figured this out by only starting the rotors with the dual-stick method, then trying only the throttle without clicking to power down--that didn't work, so I tried the "click" position next, and three to five seconds later they spin down and stop. I tested this about fifteen times each way (but not with the dual-stick method to power down--that just sent my unit tipping and skimming across the ground the first two times I tried to land and power down--yay, concrete!) and as far as my remote unit--an NDJ6 remote--is concerned, this is the proper, correct and undocumented (as far as DJI's instructions are printed) way to spin down.
Just make sure you're not putting it into the click mode while still high in the air--I won't tell you it'll turn off your props, but I also don't want to be the first to try it to find out.
2015-5-9
Use props
Jay7
New

India

Will ther be a pilot app for windows phone...?
2015-5-10
Use props
daramccoy
lvl.1

United Kingdom

larry.reinstein Posted at 2015-5-8 21:04
won't the airplane mode shut down the wifi from the iphone?

turn airplane mode on thats automatically turns off wi-fi but just turn wifi back on.
No more calls while your flying.
2015-5-13
Use props
superdodoz
Second Officer
Flight distance : 118422 ft
United States

Hi everyone,  any suggestion which ios app to use to measure or get some data about the high winds, I lived in Chicago (windy city). Thanks.
2015-5-14
Use props
larry.reinstein
lvl.1

United States

Hi Everyone,

I had my first Phantom flight today in my new P2V+.   Everything went quite well (it was awesome!!)  but it generated a bunch of questions that I hope some of you can help me with.

1. I have the new version of the remote controller with the knurled knob in the upper left to control the up/down tilt of the gimbal.  During flight when I rotated to turn the camera downwards, it immediately came back up to level when I let go of the knob.  Is this normal?   If not, what am I doing wrong.  If it is normal, then how do I fly with a small downward tilt of the camera?

2. The up/down gimbal control on the DJI Vision App does not seem to do anything?  Is this because I have the control on the remote controller?

3. Can you recommend some good camera settings to start out?   I am not very familiar with video photography so wonder what these settings, formats, etc should typically be set at for recreational and amateur work.?

4. Should I be recalibrating the compass after each battery change?

5. There seem to be 2 different movement techniques being shown for compass calibration.  One involves rotating the phantom hand over hand.  The other involve simply holding the phantom horizontally and turning your whole body 360 degrees.  then holding the phantom pointing downward and again turning your body around.  Are these both equally acceptable?

Thanks

Larry
2015-5-14
Use props
markhowerton1
lvl.2
United States

I recently purchased the phantom 2 vision plus ver. 3.0.  I had a Hero XQ-5 as my first drone until the grand kids flew it and I couldn't get it to work after that.  It turned out to my benefit because then I was able to get the phantom which is much easier to fly.  I have flown it a few times and it's amazing and a lot of fun.  I have a couple of questions and will probably have more later.  So far everything is working great.  The only problem I had at first was turning the props off.  Made some good landings on a board I put in the tall grass but when I landed and used both controls to shut it off it tipped over in the tall grass.  Then I saw a post about the ver 3.0 you just move the left control to the bottom.

After getting comfortable with flying it I wanted to check ti see how far it would go.  At 1940 ft. it came up phantom lost connection.  If this message for the drone or the fpv.  I thought I would lose fpv before I lost the phantom connection.  I had the control antenna sideways like I saw in a video.  I'm using a droid turbo.

When I did waypoints I didn't get an option for speed.

I read it used your starting altitude for RTH.  Does it use that for flying or does it adjust.  We live on a hill and when I fly over where it drops it reads about 60 ft. and I know I'm at least 100 ft if not more.

Thanks

Mark
2015-5-15
Use props
larry.reinstein
lvl.1

United States

dmbandx@hotmail Posted at 2015-5-10 08:54
Yep--the "stickiness" is actually a lock position they've apparently installed, but completely fail ...

Thanks for confirming
2015-5-16
Use props
larry.reinstein
lvl.1

United States

larry.reinstein Posted at 2015-5-15 10:21
Hi Everyone,

I had my first Phantom flight today in my new P2V+.   Everything went quite well (it w ...

Also...

I am very new to video and drones in general. I am a Newbie with a P2V+ .
I want to edit my video to create a shorter video of the hopefully interesting parts, to post or share...what is the easiest software to use on the Mac?
What format is good for posting (To create a relatively decent quality HD video but not too large a file for easy uploading to FB or YouTube?

Are their camera settings and formats that would be best for this?

Please help. So much to learn.

Larry
2015-5-16
Use props
markhowerton1
lvl.2
United States

I saw where the lockdown will do a steady descend.  I tried it and it works well. The speed is a little to fast for landing so I unlock it to land. It may land ok but I didn't want to take a chance.  I don't know for sure but I think the phantom detects when you're on the ground so the motors shut off then. I had the  problem with it tipping over after landing.  One prop broke the support arm of the blade protectors and it ruined the prop.

Mark
2015-5-16
Use props
dansrk4
New

United States

I decided to buy a Phantom 3, but before doing it I am making a research about the performance of the Phantom 3 in high elevations. I'm planning to fly the Phantom 3 in Bolivia, specifically in the cities of La Paz and Cochabamba. My doubt is how the Phantom 3 is going to perform since the elevation in La Paz is around 4000 meters (13123 ft) above the sea level and Cochabamba is 2700 meters (8858 ft).
Is the flight time going to be affected?.
Would it be necessary to make some change related to the motors or propellers?
Any other issue that you comes to your mind?
Thank you in advance.
2015-5-16
Use props
kristy
lvl.1

Hong Kong

dansrk4 Posted at 2015-5-17 15:38
I decided to buy a Phantom 3, but before doing it I am making a research about the performance of th ...

Hi, Phantom 3 can take off at elevation of 6000 meters at the maximum.
2015-5-18
Use props
dansrk4
New

China

kristy Posted at 2015-5-18 19:01
Hi, Phantom 3 can take off at elevation of 6000 meters at the maximum.

Thank you! Yeah I also found the info in the specs: http://www.dji.com/product/phantom-3/spec
2015-5-19
Use props
KnightOwl
lvl.3

United States

superdodoz Posted at 2015-5-15 00:03
Hi everyone,  any suggestion which ios app to use to measure or get some data about the high winds,  ...

May i suggest instead of relying on an app (where you might not be certain where its getting its data from) buy a anemometer, they can be had for $15 or so.  I hate lugging extra items around but strong winds can wreak havoc especially on the novice pilot so I've added this to my flight box as insurance.  I never have to guess the wind conditions where I'm at.  
2015-5-20
Use props
superdodoz
Second Officer
United States

KnightOwl Posted at 2015-5-21 07:55
May i suggest instead of relying on an app (where you might not be certain where its getting its d ...

Thanks KnightOwl, P3 manual suggest do not use the aircraft with wind speed exceeding 10 m/s, any thought on this?
2015-5-21
Use props
leroy8182
New
United States

It seems i'm loosing connection more frequently making taking videos and pictures hard. I have been flying for a few months and noticed this happening more and more. I send it up and its flying fine but i'm not able to take picture when this happens, any advice?
2015-5-26
Use props
agusmaki
lvl.1

Ecuador

I have a DJI Phantom 2 with NAZA M, have a question, when you update the Phantom 2 Flight Controller version from 3.08 to 3.14, all the characteristics from the versions in between are updated?
Thank you  
2015-6-1
Use props
superdodoz
Second Officer
United States

larry.reinstein Posted at 2015-5-16 21:55
Also...

iMovie is a good software to star with.
2015-6-2
Use props
agusmaki
lvl.1

Ecuador

For Phantom 2, Compass (RAW) reading MOD is around 1200 when the info says that it should be between -500 and 500. I´ve tried adjusting it using a magnet but it won´t go lower than 1100.
I suppose it might be because i´m located in the southern hemisphere, can any body confirm that?
2015-6-2
Use props
superdodoz
Second Officer
United States

Hi Everyone, newbie question. If I want to take still images, I need to stop the recording and press the shutter to take stills then hit the record button again to continue recording. Is this normal? I was expecting that while recording I can press the shutter to take stills then after that the recording will continue. Thanks.
2015-6-4
Use props
markalanb
lvl.1
Flight distance : 21480 ft
United States

I've run 7 flights now and am ready to get out of "Beginners Mode". I found the MX settings page and both "Distance Limit" and "Beginners Mode" show off. In fact, I can slide both switches to the on position, Green, and the stay only a few moments and return to the off position. Can anyone walk me through this?
2015-6-7
Use props
RUSANEN VELI-PE
lvl.1
Finland

A stupid question: Pushing both sticks to their bottom corners do not start the motors in phantom2 vision+, what has happened?
2015-6-7
Use props
DJIDave
Second Officer

United States

premro8@gmail.c Posted at 2014-10-14 05:36
Hi, I am a new user of DJI Phantom V2+,  i have a question,
will ther be possible to pair 2 remote r ...

You can not have 2 controllers paired to the P2V+ at the same time. You can do it by binding a new controller to the P2V+ but only one at a time.
2015-6-9
Use props
DJIDave
Second Officer

United States

paulfkcc Posted at 2014-10-14 11:30
I'm trying to assemble an S1000 for the first time and I don't know my butt from first base.  My uni ...

You connect it to the Naza or the A2. If you have a S1000 you probably have the A2
2015-6-9
Use props
DJIDave
Second Officer

United States

rcowell@assetqu Posted at 2014-10-15 05:51
I am very new to flying the Phantom 2.   If I am going from location to location within 5 or 10 minu ...

No, you only need to do a compass calibration if you are going to a location that is much farther away.
2015-6-9
Use props
DJIDave
Second Officer

United States

RUSANEN VELI-PE Posted at 2015-6-8 05:07
A stupid question: Pushing both sticks to their bottom corners do not start the motors in phantom2 v ...

Pushing both sticks down and to the inside bottom corners should start you Phantoms motors.

However you have to wait until the Phantom warms up and goes through all of its self check and calibration processes.

Make sure you are waiting until you have green flashing leds  if in GPS mode or yellow flashing leds if you are in ATTI mode.
2015-6-9
Use props
DJIDave
Second Officer

United States

superdodoz Posted at 2015-6-5 01:09
Hi Everyone, newbie question. If I want to take still images, I need to stop the recording and press ...

That is normal. You can not take stills while the video is recording.
2015-6-9
Use props
DJIDave
Second Officer

United States

agusmaki@hotmai Posted at 2015-6-1 21:40
I have a DJI Phantom 2 with NAZA M, have a question, when you update the Phantom 2 Flight Controller ...

yes this is true
2015-6-9
Use props
DJIDave
Second Officer

United States

leroy8182@aol.c Posted at 2015-5-27 08:42
It seems i'm loosing connection more frequently making taking videos and pictures hard. I have been  ...

Try updating your firmware and make sure your tablet is up to date and does not have any other apps running in the background.
2015-6-9
Use props
DJIDave
Second Officer

United States

larry.reinstein Posted at 2015-5-16 21:55
Also...

iMovie is very good for a beginner

if you want a smaller file size then you could record in 720P instead of 1080P the average person can not tell the difference
2015-6-9
Use props
DJIDave
Second Officer

United States

superdodoz Posted at 2015-5-15 00:03
Hi everyone,  any suggestion which ios app to use to measure or get some data about the high winds,  ...

I would just recommend checking weather.com
2015-6-9
Use props
DJIDave
Second Officer

United States

toneil44 Posted at 2015-4-2 20:33
Just completed my second flight w/ the Phantom 2 Vision +. The Flight battery is low on charge. I ha ...

No you do not
2015-6-9
Use props
DJIDave
Second Officer

United States

DroneCru Posted at 2015-3-17 05:06
Whats the best mobile device to run the DJi Inspire 1 app for transmitted the video feed - My mini i ...

The ipad 2 mini and the ipad 3 mini both work well
2015-6-9
Use props
DJIDave
Second Officer

United States

vemadisonsr@jun Posted at 2015-4-4 23:08
Hi, I have a newbie question.  I purchased a used quad with Naza-M-V1.  Can I upgrade the firmware t ...

You can upgrade the Naza V1 to the V2 firmware. In fact it is recommended.
2015-6-9
Use props
kr0zh
lvl.1

Brazil

Very important, it will help a lot!
2015-6-9
Use props
DJI-Dave
Second Officer

United States

navare1@sbcglob Posted at 2014-12-29 02:30
Hi...I'm a newbe. My Phantom 1 crashes after about 2 secs. I raise about 10 off the ground and the c ...

You should do a basic and then a advanced IMU calibration. See if that helps. Are you still having trouble with your Phantom?
2015-6-11
Use props
DJI-Dave
Second Officer

United States

add4more Posted at 2014-12-28 10:47
Hi all I am pure newbie.  I am trying to pick the right quad/hex/octocopter.  My goal is to perform  ...

I think the S900 would be a good place for you to start.
2015-6-11
Use props
agusmaki
lvl.1

Ecuador

thank you, that helps me know better how my quadcopter works and that way I can fly safer
2015-6-15
Use props
agusmaki
lvl.1

Ecuador

larry.reinstein Posted at 2015-4-24 03:20
I just received the P2V plus for my birthday with the New Remote  controller.
The left stick (thrott ...

yes, this is supposed to be normal, as far as I understand the "sticky" feature in the throttle is supposed to stay on "click" in order to descend at a constant rate, but, from the experience i´ve had so far, it makes it descend too fast and i am afraid that it is turning the motors off during flight. I have fallen from the sky already, so I don´t use it any more.
Another thing that happens is that the dual stick shut down does not work anymore, like it used to in the older version RC. You have to use only the throttle stick to shut down the motors.
2015-6-15
Use props
agusmaki
lvl.1

Ecuador

Jay7 Posted at 2015-5-9 22:22
Hi all I am new to this thread
Have some questions did ask the tech support but got very stupid ans ...

I live in a high mountain environment and I´ve lifted off and flown my phantom 2 at around 4.100 meters altitude without any problems as far as the GPS connection or performance. The phantom becomes a bit inefficient because of wind that you normally encounter at that altitude, don´t know if thin air influences since it works with electric motors, not internal combustion.
The only reason I would turn off the GPS would be if there is too much upwind and I could not get it to come down because it is trying to hold it´s GPS position, so you would have to force it down by moving away from the upwind and turning off GPS. Otherwise, I don´t see a reason for GPS not to work properly, it has to do mainly with satellites, the higher, the stronger signal from satellites, altitude should be a minor factor.
Return to RC should work normally also.

2015-6-15
Use props
agusmaki
lvl.1

Ecuador

larry.reinstein Posted at 2015-5-15 10:21
Hi Everyone,

I had my first Phantom flight today in my new P2V+.   Everything went quite well (it w ...

As far as point 1, you have to update firmware for your RC to version 3.1.4, and change to upgrade version for the gimbal, then your gimbal will tilt up or down just as far as you want it in a very smooth way.
2015-6-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules