Thread for Newbies
312259 916 2014-9-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
endwarde
New

United States

DJI-Dave Posted at 2016-1-12 22:47
Did you power down everything after installing firmware on the card, then reboot everything?

Yes, a few times
2016-1-12
Use props
DJI-Dave
Second Officer

United States

With out getting a closer look at your drone and exactly what is going on, I am afraid I do not have enough info to trouble shoot your situation.

Dave
2016-1-13
Use props
Petrez
New

United States

hi newbie here.just got my new p3a this week but it wont let me fly..
i appear to live in a yellow nfz which i unlocked succesfully but drone still says im in a nfz and on the drones google map display in corner it is indeed showing a a red zone under the yellow one????not just a yellow one like on the geofence unlock website??
dji go app is 2.50
drone is 1.60 latest
is there a fault in drone?
2016-1-14
Use props
DJI-Dave
Second Officer

United States

Petrez Posted at 2016-1-14 04:02
hi newbie here.just got my new p3a this week but it wont let me fly..
i appear to live in a yellow n ...

Please do the following to fix the NFZ issues with the new Go App.

1. Please connect mobile device to the Internet.
2. Turn on craft and should be on P-GPS mode, please make sure craft has solid GPS lock.
3. Please make sure that RC and mobile device is connected to craft..

Wait for 1-5 min, and try to reboot the App to check to see if NFZ's are corrected.

Dave
2016-1-14
Use props
rrdutton90
lvl.1

Canada

HI Everyone,
Thanks for all the great info. Took my new P3A for it's 1st flight yesterday. Must say I was a bit nervous after reading all the crash and burn posts. I have only flown toy quads before and was pleasantly surprised at how easy it is to fly. I am using a Chuwi VX8 tablet w/ 4.4.2 which  works flawlessly with no lag or connection issues.  I have rooted this tablet and removed most of the bloatware but do have Navionics loaded and use it as a back up GPS on my boat which works very well for a cheap tablet. I must have a good one as I have read there have been some issues with the GPS.
I filmed my flight around a large field at the head of a bay close to where I live. Not exciting stuff but turned out well. Was paying attention to flying not filming.
An eagle flew by to check out my bird. I went hard down on the altitude for a moment until I thought I may shut it down while in flight and then descended at a more controlled rate. Luckily nothing happened to both birds.
Quick question. Could I have shut down while in flight by holding down the altitude control? Thanks.
Best and happy flying.
Robin
2016-1-14
Use props
DJI-Dave
Second Officer

United States

rrdutton90@gmai Posted at 2016-1-14 12:06
HI Everyone,
Thanks for all the great info. Took my new P3A for it's 1st flight yesterday. Must say  ...

No you can not shut down the motors in flight by holding down the throttle stick. You can hold it all the way down for as long as you like.

The only way to shut down the motors in flight is by doing a CSC.

Welcome to the Phantom and welcome to this forum!

Dave

2016-1-14
Use props
DJI-Dave
Second Officer

United States

CSC is both sticks down and in. CSC stands for "cross stick control"

Dave
2016-1-14
Use props
rrdutton90
lvl.1

Canada

DJI-Dave Posted at 2016-1-14 17:46
CSC is both sticks down and in. CSC stands for "cross stick control"

Thanks for the quick reply.

Robin
2016-1-14
Use props
DJI-Dave
Second Officer

United States

Glad to help!

Dave
2016-1-20
Use props
steven888
lvl.2

Malaysia

Hello all.... Newbie here. Yesterday I try to fly indoor and accidentally chip off one of edge of the propeller. Can I still use the propeller since not much damage ? Thanks !
2016-1-25
Use props
Mr Lou Lar
lvl.1

United Kingdom

I posted one but no answer yet , hope one comes soon it seems like a friendly place  ,
2016-1-26
Use props
dobmatt
First Officer
Flight distance : 1831050 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Mr Lou Lar Posted at 2016-1-27 05:33
I posted one but no answer yet , hope one comes soon it seems like a friendly place  ,

You posted what? The one? What is it?
2016-1-26
Use props
mcstocks
New

United States

dobmatt Posted at 2016-1-26 16:06
You posted what? The one? What is it?

Good evening!  I'm a newbie and have a simple question: does the mobile device (iPad mini) need to be connected to the internet to operate the controller and P3?  I've already downloaded the app and flown, but I want to switch my internet service to another device!
Many thanks in advance!
Steve McGee
2016-1-27
Use props
steven888
lvl.2

Malaysia

mcstocks Posted at 2016-1-28 11:26
Good evening!  I'm a newbie and have a simple question: does the mobile device (iPad mini) need to ...

Yes you will need internet to load the map and no you do not need internet every times you fly.... You can cache your map to your device before flight....Android and IOS pretty much the same :

http://www.phantompilots.com/thr ... -app-for-ios.42652/

2016-1-28
Use props
mcstocks
New

United States

steven888 Posted at 2016-1-28 18:37
Yes you will need internet to load the map and no you do not need internet every times you fly....  ...

Thank you so much, Steven!  Do you just need to cache an area you fly over just one time, and then it's saved, and then when you go to a new area, do the same?
~Steve
2016-1-29
Use props
noaches232
lvl.2

United States

SFOS900 Posted at 2014-10-5 20:13
HI there,

go out and buy a blade nano qx

Yes! Great idea. The Blade Nano qx works very well for the $70 you pay.
UDIs work very well as well.
Just don't buy a $1300 quadcopter and learn to fly on it. What's nice about the P3 is the app comes with a flight simulator.
2016-1-30
Use props
noaches232
lvl.2

United States

kiteflyer60@yah Posted at 2014-10-9 12:53
The nano qx does not include the RC unit. Will the Phantom 2 vision + RC unit work with it?

Probably not.
2016-1-30
Use props
noaches232
lvl.2

United States

rcowell@assetqu Posted at 2014-10-14 16:51
I am very new to flying the Phantom 2.   If I am going from location to location within 5 or 10 minu ...

Yes, you do.
2016-1-30
Use props
noaches232
lvl.2

United States

edgar.phil@gmai Posted at 2014-10-26 16:57
Hi - I'm a newbie and just completed my first flights. Naturally I had a bad landing and chipped a c ...

I would buy a. prop guards and b. new propellors! It's better to buy $20 props and save the drone instead of flying with chipped props and crashing it. Then you'd save the props and not the $1250 drone.
2016-1-30
Use props
JockC
Second Officer
Flight distance : 459416 ft
Australia

Another newby here although not new to drones having owned a couple of Parrots before purchasing my new Phantom 3 Advanced a few days ago. I'm based in central NSW, Australia.

I’ve had several flights already (no accidents) and it’s made me realise that the Parrots were really only toys compared with the capabilities and precision of the Phantom 3.
To date, I’ve been cautious and haven’t flown more than 700-800 metres away from the home point but I’m sure that distance will increase over the coming days.

I’m very happy with the package I purchased which includes,
. Phantom 3 Advanced
. Two additional batteries (3 in total)
. Gimbal protector board
. DJI lens and gimbal lock
. backpack

I’m also looking at carbon fibre props but the reviews and write-ups suggest to me that they’re not really worthwhile.
Are there any other "must haves" that I need to consider?

I use my Phantom with an iPad Air 2 and all firmware is up to date.
I’ve read through the manual half a dozen times and browsed through these pages so I think I now have things pretty much under control but any hints or tips for a new Phantom flyer would always be appreciated.
2016-1-30
Use props
DJI-Dave
Second Officer

United States

JockC Posted at 2016-1-30 20:06
Another newby here although not new to drones having owned a couple of Parrots before purchasing my  ...

Good to hear. There's not really a lot of must have upgrades. The package you have is pretty complete. I would strongly advised to stay away from the carbon fiber props.

Dave
2016-1-30
Use props
DJI-Dave
Second Officer

United States

JockC Posted at 2016-1-30 20:06
Another newby here although not new to drones having owned a couple of Parrots before purchasing my  ...

Good to hear. There's not really a lot of must have upgrades. The package you have is pretty complete. I would strongly advised to stay away from the carbon fiber props.

Dave
2016-1-30
Use props
DJI-Dave
Second Officer

United States

steven888 Posted at 2016-1-25 18:36
Hello all.... Newbie here. Yesterday I try to fly indoor and accidentally chip off one of edge of th ...

I would replace it
2016-1-30
Use props
steven888
lvl.2

Malaysia

mcstocks Posted at 2016-1-29 22:46
Thank you so much, Steven!  Do you just need to cache an area you fly over just one time, and then ...

Hi mcstocks,

Sorry for the late reply. Yes do the same and that new area will be cache to your device. Because DJI Go is using Google Maps so you will need to cache it more often as Google Maps only retain cache maps for a few days.
2016-1-31
Use props
steven888
lvl.2

Malaysia

Thanks for the reply Dave !
2016-1-31
Use props
DJI-Dave
Second Officer

United States

Sure thing.

Dave
2016-2-1
Use props
lipengr
New

United States

Looking forward to my Advanced shoeing up in the next couple of days.  Hope I've done enough homework to understand the software and properly set up my quad.  I've been flying a mini-quad to get fimilar with controls but with any new technology I expect I steep learning curve until summer.  Hopefully I will be making some of the videos I've been watching.
2016-2-1
Use props
mcstocks
New

United States

steven888 Posted at 2016-2-1 09:32
Hi mcstocks,

Sorry for the late reply. Yes do the same and that new area will be cache to your dev ...

Thanks again, Steven!  I'll probably have more questions for you guys!
Steve
2016-2-1
Use props
DJI-Dave
Second Officer

United States

lipengr Posted at 2016-2-1 11:09
Looking forward to my Advanced shoeing up in the next couple of days.  Hope I've done enough homewor ...

Good to hear I'm sure you'll be fine. Sounds like you're doing your due diligence.

Dave
2016-2-2
Use props
Mr Lou Lar
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Its okay mate, it was about the sale ending .. I have brought a standard now and just waiting for it to come
2016-2-8
Use props
Mr Lou Lar
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Although i am about to post another question if you could help
2016-2-8
Use props
scottej
New

United States

Do i need cellular on my ipad to operate all the features of my phantom3 pro?
2016-2-11
Use props
DJI-Dave
Second Officer

United States

Mr Lou Lar Posted at 2016-2-8 14:03
Its okay mate, it was about the sale ending .. I have brought a standard now and just waiting for it ...

Good to hear.

Dave
2016-2-13
Use props
DJI-Dave
Second Officer

United States

Mr Lou Lar Posted at 2016-2-8 14:03
Although i am about to post another question if you could help

Sure that is why we are here.

Dave
2016-2-13
Use props
DJI-Dave
Second Officer

United States

scottej Posted at 2016-2-11 20:40
Do i need cellular on my ipad to operate all the features of my phantom3 pro?

Yes. If you want all the flight mode functions to work you will need cellular. You need cellular for the follow me function.

Dave
2016-2-13
Use props
DJI-Dave
Second Officer

United States

Do you have it yet Mr Lou?

Dave
2016-2-13
Use props
aidws
Banned

United States

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2016-2-16
Use props
qlddrones
lvl.2
Flight distance : 561706 ft
  • >>>
Australia

I'm confused already. I got into this thread from the Phantom 3 forum, but the tips and comments seem to be mostly about Phantom 2 Vision +? What's with that?
2016-2-18
Use props
DJI-Dave
Second Officer

United States

qlddrones Posted at 2016-2-18 17:48
I'm confused already. I got into this thread from the Phantom 3 forum, but the tips and comments see ...

This is just a general thread and it comes up in all forums. Any newbie typ questions can be asked here on any DJI product.

Dave
2016-2-19
Use props
ninodamiano
New

Italy

come si fa a sapere qual'è il firmware attualmente installato sul mio phantom 3 professional ?
2016-2-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules