Thread for Newbies
311615 916 2014-9-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
add4more
New

United States

Hi all I am pure newbie.  I am trying to pick the right quad/hex/octocopter.  My goal is to perform tests at elevations greater than 120 feet and less than 300 feet above the ground.  My equipment  operates at 900 mhz.  My equipment weights less than 5 lbs.  I need to hover in place for 10-20 minutes.  I was thinking larges octocopter can carry the largest load but shouldn't it also carry the smaller load the longest?
My goal was to use octocopter frame start with only 4 motors and controls and learn to fly.   That way I would reduce the cost of repairs from crashes  and allow me time to spend more money on additional motors and accessories.    I will not need any photography  equipment at first.  If I get good at flying then that could be fun but I to take off hover and land.   I can run my tests via 900 mhz communications with payload.    Am I in the right place or am I crazy?     Basic control  gps for holding position  no special axis tilt for camera just flat mounting plate for my equipment.  My 5 lbs includes my own power source for my equipment.  My payload weight could drop if my equipment could use some power source as copter.  Then I could max out batteries for extended flight/hover time.  Ok I think I covered everything.  
Any input is welcome  thanks
2014-12-27
Use props
kjkisatsky
lvl.3

United States

I'm making some testes at home (without the propelers).

Yes, that would be my recommendation as well.  Testes and propellers are never a good mix.
2014-12-28
Use props
navare1
New

United States

Hi...I'm a newbe. My Phantom 1 crashes after about 2 secs. I raise about 10 off the ground and the craft pitches to one side, won't hover level, wont stay in the air. I have calibrated and degaussed the compass several time still no joy. Any other ideas?
2014-12-28
Use props
crdewhurst
New

United States

Got my P2V+v3 for Christmas and flew it for the first time today under the watchful eye of one of the employees of Dronenerds in North Miami Beach, FL.  Out of the box the drone worked great and the flight went off without a hitch.  The folks a Dronenerds were very helpful.  I'm looking forward to flights with my Drone.
2014-12-29
Use props
droneflyers.com
lvl.4
Flight distance : 60709 ft
  • >>>
United States

navare1@sbcglob Posted at 2014-12-29 02:30
Hi...I'm a newbe. My Phantom 1 crashes after about 2 secs. I raise about 10 off the ground and the c ...

Probably better to start your own thread in the forum.

It sounds more like an IMU problem than a compass problem. I assume you've done that already - checked the IMU in the NAZA assistant?

You should set the NAZA mode in the Assistant (IOC checkbox) and try taking off in ATTI mode. That's altitude hold - it takes the GPS out of the picture. Do that after checking the IMU.

If it still pitches like that, something seems very wrong with the NAZA (gyro), etc.
2014-12-30
Use props
anthony
lvl.2
United States

fastbike.voss@g Posted at 2014-12-14 05:06
hello,
another noob here.
calibrated my new phantom with the NAZAM app and did the manual rotation ...

Brandon,
The only thing that quickly comes to mind is "are you close to a restricted space, such as an airport?"  Within a restricted zone, the props won't even start.  The lights should not flash green, slowly, if this is the case, though.

http://www.dji.com/fly-safe/category-mc
2014-12-31
Use props
anthony
lvl.2
United States

edgardbernardin Posted at 2014-12-23 04:56
When I put left stick down, it's turning off the engine (doing that like 5 seconds). Not doing anyth ...

I sure hope that you already figured this out, but normal operation is that if the throttle (left stick up/down) is held below 10% (full down) for three seconds, the engines stop.  That's one way to shut down.
2014-12-31
Use props
o.boot
lvl.2

Netherlands

Hi there,

I'm a fresh ph2 v+ owner.
My first flight.
2015-1-3
Use props
RyanZak
New

United States

rcowell@assetqu Posted at 2014-10-15 05:51
I am very new to flying the Phantom 2.   If I am going from location to location within 5 or 10 minu ...

Best practice is to do it before every flight, even if it is the same location.  This can help prevent flyaways that can have a costly result.  It comes down to "risk-reward"...by not calibrating you save about 30 seconds (reward), but have a higher risk of flyaway.  So is 30 seconds really worth the risk? I don't think so!
2015-1-4
Use props
pcrepaiman
lvl.1
Flight distance : 17707 ft
Canada

Cloud9 Posted at 2014-10-13 05:54
There are 2 versions of the black pearl monitor (32 Channel and 7 Channel)
If you bought the 7 Cha ...

I got a 7 channel Pearl and it work with my Immersion 5.8 tx.
2015-1-5
Use props
bduhaime
New

United States

gailbellenger@y Posted at 2014-11-9 08:48
Hi, I have a Phantom 2 Quad and the Wifi has never stayed connected for more than a second or two. I ...

I read somewhere that people are having problems with some of the phantom 2's. The phantom (to the best of my knowledge) needs to read 6 satellites which it does except when you live stream video to your phone. This also needs to read different satellites which ends up taking away or block the ones the phantom needs to read. Maybe you know this by now, I just thought it may help you. Good Luck, Happy Flying!
2015-1-5
Use props
kjkisatsky
lvl.3

United States

streaming video to your phone or tablet has nothing to do with satellites.  The streaming is done via Wifi.
2015-1-5
Use props
mckelvie37
New

United States

RKDauph Posted at 2014-11-3 04:35
Just have to say that wobbling is NOT " Vortex Ring State" as stated in #15 above. Vortex Ring State ...

Former helo pilot here.  Settling with Power and Vortex Ring State are two different things.  Settling with Power does probably not apply so much with drones.  It is a condition where power required exceeds power available.  ie.  arresting a descent rate, or too heavy of an aircraft.   Increasing pitch at that point does not reduce descent rate.  Only forward flight or a lower power requirement will get you out of it.  Vortex Ring State is where the aircraft settles back onto it own prop wash.  It's primarily experienced during steep descents and low forward airspeed.  Forward (or any direction in the matter of drones) would remove it from Vortex Ring State.  Nice photos in the above thread depicting it!
2015-1-7
Use props
slabella
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1483192 ft
  • >>>
United States

Received my Inspire 1 on 1/7/2015 !!!!!

Wow, what a hell of a craft! It's to cold here in Boston Ma. this week. Did all the Firmware updates and Ipad and other settings and i did read the user manual as other supporting documents. I currently FLY the Phantom v2, with Gopro, PV2 and PV2+ as well as build the F450 and F550...

So it's going to be interesting flying the Inspire 1 with computer assist and a larger heaver craft.

Hope DJI releases the GROUND STATION feature and then we have one additional all in one package!!!!!

Happy Flying, more to come once i get out to fly.

Best regards,
Steve
2015-1-10
Use props
ashley.j.manton
lvl.3

United Kingdom

[img]Hi all got my inspire 1 the other day. Couple of things. The gimbal keeps twitching Mid flight when watching footage back and now I see the arms seem to lower on there own with at-least 70% battery left if anyone has any ideas on that one. Contacted DJI and there replacing my unit with my dealer asap. Other than that it's an awesome machine
2015-1-10
Use props
Sandyy
New

United Kingdom

Hello,

Please help. I am completely new to this and would like to use a DJI phantom drone for an upcomming video shoot.
I have read a little bit about it on this forum, youtube and other sites and am a little bit confused. I am sure everything would become clear if I dive into the subject for a couple of weeks but the problem is that time is a contraint. I would very much appreciate if someone that has already been through all this could advise me (did I say please?):

What is the set of material necessary to guarantee the best result for a video shooting in a remote area. I need stability, reliability, high quality of the image...I need to be able to get immediate feed of what is being shot.

I would really appreciate any insight.

Thank you very much in advance!
2015-1-14
Use props
melvonnar
lvl.2
United States

fastbike.voss@g Posted at 2014-12-14 05:06
hello,
another noob here.
calibrated my new phantom with the NAZAM app and did the manual rotation ...

recalibrate your transmiter
2015-1-14
Use props
office
lvl.2

Canada

Good morning all,
I have a new Ph2 working with my GOPO, looking at putting a FPV system on it.
once I do that I will lose control of the GoPro correct? can't start and stop the video like I do with the WIFI to my Iphone now correct?

Also Gimbal a little choppy, when moving up, anyway to reset it?
2015-1-16
Use props
kjkisatsky
lvl.3

United States

Sandyy, I would recommend a Phantom with gimble.  I have the P2Vision+, which has HD camera incorporated, everything is designed to work together out of the box.  It is rock solid.  First person view is great on my iPad Air.  Do NOT rush into this.  Since you are shooting in a remote area, a nice backpack case will also be useful.  Repeat:  Do NOT rush into this, I know you said you have time constraints.  I went as far a practicing with an inexpensive Hubsan quadcopter for a week before I attempted to use the Phantom, and am glad I did.

Office, did you calibrate the gimbal control when you calibrated the sticks?  Perhaps you can use another wifi device to control camera.
2015-1-17
Use props
pacopas1313
New

Mexico

I crashed my brand new V2+
It tilted to its side and 2 propellers stopped. Now they won't rotate, only sputter. What can i do??
2015-1-17
Use props
rrspecht70.emai
New

United States

Hello all.  I just wanted to post for no other reason but to say "WOW".  Just finished my 2nd flight.  Nothing crazy, just getting used to the Phantom 2+ and so far so good.  My kids were amazed I could do something cool.  They find it hard to believe I went to college to be a pilot.  I've shown them my logbook, but it's going to take more than that...  

Anyway, I love it so far.  Going to order some extra batteries so that my outings are not so short.  Looking forward to many more flights to come.  Be well all!
2015-1-19
Use props
karlallemyr.ema
lvl.1

Sweden

Just want to post aswell, finished my fifth flight withou a problem, used the CourseLock aswell, Awesome!!!

Do have a problem since day one bought it a week ago with the X1 scroll wheel on my controller.
Please take a look  
2015-1-21
Use props
apkumar
New

India

Hello there,

I'm new to flying Phantom 2. It is hard to get some time off from Bank work and go out to fly this thing. Thank you for providing the support thread. I'll read it if I get any trouble with the gimbal.

HCBL Bank-Tathastu
2015-1-21
Use props
jakeleen77.emai
lvl.3

United States

NOOB warning... I figured out my avatar (edit: or not, keeps going away), but how do I change my handle or name?
2015-1-23
Use props
Nicoski
New

United States

Hey guys. I just finished building my flame wheel F450 with Naza lite. I have a Spektrum DX5e transmitter which came with a 6 channel receiver. Unfortunately the 3 pin servo cables wont fit into the receiver because of that little notch on them. The receiver does not have slits for them. WHAT DO I DO????? Please help. thanks.
2015-1-23
Use props
william_morales
New

United States

Cloud9 Posted at 2014-10-13 05:54
There are 2 versions of the black pearl monitor (32 Channel and 7 Channel)
If you bought the 7 Cha ...

can the black pearl 32 ch fpv work with the P2V+ v3.0
2015-1-25
Use props
Cloud9
lvl.1
United States

william_morales Posted at 2015-1-26 08:56
can the black pearl 32 ch fpv work with the P2V+ v3.0

No, only on non vision Phantoms.
The Vision and Visions+ uses 2.4Ghz for video, so only "wifi" devices like android tablets or iPads will work.
2015-1-26
Use props
Swerve
lvl.3

United Kingdom

jakeleen77.emai Posted at 2015-1-24 06:23
NOOB warning... I figured out my avatar (edit: or not, keeps going away), but how do I change my han ...

Click on your name in the black bar above then click modify password. You'll then get a page which has your profile in the menu. In there you can change user name and other stuff.
2015-1-26
Use props
JakeLikesStuff
lvl.3

United States

Thank you Swerve. I'd found it originally, but I guess it took a day for it to actually take over, so I was tripping for nothing. Thanks for the reply though.
2015-1-26
Use props
pondy
lvl.1

Australia

hd_ultra@msn.co Posted at 2014-9-28 23:01
Newbie? It'll save you going through pages and pages...                                 Phantompilot ...

Thanks for the advice
2015-1-28
Use props
pondy
lvl.1

Australia

Irphred Posted at 2014-11-17 09:40
Hey, someone on the blog just told me to take my cell phone, select wifi, and take it off of "sear ...

So what about anybody else around the area that has their phone set to search? this seems like a really bad problem.
2015-1-28
Use props
Zoki
New

Serbia

asaklettern@yah Posted at 2014-10-22 05:45
Hey guys, i am not sure if this is a stupid question but i have the phantom 2 and have a gimbal H3-3 ...

Hello, it is clearly stated in manual that you (we) should not turn on Go Pro's Wireless link while on Phantom 2 since it will interfere with Phantom's 2 link with control station.
2015-1-30
Use props
Zoki
New

Serbia

Hello,
For such a purpose, I recently (a month ago now) purchased Phantom 2 with Zenmuse gimbal 3D, Go Pro 4 and following:
              Fieldview 777 TFT LCD Monitor for FPV 800x480 LED Backlight (7.0 Inch)                           

iOSD Mini DJI Module                           

DJI AVL58 5.8ghz - Tx/ Rx - cloverleaf                           

DJI PHANTOM 2 VISION Battery                           

GENS ACE LiPo Battery 11.1 V/ 2200 mA/ 25C                           

SKYRC E3 AC 2-3S LiPo Battery Charger

Works like a charm, I recommend if not same, similar accessories.

Good luck,
Zoran

2015-1-30
Use props
michael.tessito
lvl.1

United States

Coptor schmoptor!
2015-1-30
Use props
grangerfx.gmail
lvl.4
Flight distance : 817713 ft
United States

My new P2V+ arrived today. Setup went smoothly thanks to all the YouTube videos I watched. I did forget to do the compass calibration immediately before flight but a slight sideways drift at low altitude reminded me. I landed safely, performed the calibration and all was well. My first flight went perfectly and I took the Phantom up to 400 feet and landed again without any trouble at all. The video looks amazing. I am very pleased.

Some thoughts: I was extremely nervous about this first flight despite all the preparation I made ahead of time. I really need to be more relaxed when I fly so that I can control the sticks more smoothly. Even though I had seen it in so many videos, the stability of the Phantom in the air is truly a wonder to behold. I had no range issues for this short flight and had live FPV the entire time. I did get a warning when I got to 400 feet that I don't know how to dismiss other than to descend a bit (perhaps that is the point). I think that muscle memory will really help me as I fly more.

This is the third drone I have flown. The first was a throw away $60 UDI UFO that taught me the basic controls and things to avoid doing (like flying near anything).  The second was a Parrot Bebop that after a crash caused by a software failure was never reliable enough to fly. I had to return int for a refund sadly. The Bebop has a really nice design. I would love to see that kind of solid state camera on a smaller, lighter DJI drone.

The thing that really sets DJI apart from other drones is the reliability of the software (yes I know you all just went through a problem with the apps being out of sync with the firmware). DJI is years ahead of anyone else for basic reliability. This reliability allows DJI pilots to do things routinely that other drone owners would never dare to try. (I hope I have not just jinxed myself saying this).

I did run into one bug. I am not sure if it was the camera lock guard I left in place for initial on the ground testing or if it was the fact I had the drone connected via USB to my Mac computer but when I went to the camera view in the DJI VISION app on my iOS devices, the app just exits. With the drone disconnected and no camera guard or lens cover in place (and turning off and back on the drone) the camera worked fine. I used a 5th gen iPod Touch for the flight and had no issues with the app other than finding it hard to see the screen outdoors. I have not been able to log in using a Motorola Android phone for some reason. It just says that the connection timed out every time. I will keep trying because the larger screen could help.

So overall an extremely positive first experience. I am looking forward to becoming an expert pilot. BTW, I really like the lock for descending at the maximum safe rate. It made it very easy to do even when I was nervous.
2015-1-30
Use props
Brandon00151
lvl.3
Flight distance : 119137 ft
United States

So I guess Im posting this in the right place but anyways. So a little over a month ago I got my first quadcopter which is a Blade 180 QX and I was wondering how long would you guys recommended that flying that as my training quad before upgrading to a Phantom. I was originally thinking of going with the Phantom FC40 but since have decided to go for the Phantom 2 Vision or Vision Plus.  I was also like to know what are some tips you guys could give me for when I do eventually buy a Phantom 2 Vision or Vision plus. What (if any) accessories should I buy for it and what size memory card should I get. Also what care tips would you have for me since I want my investment to last as long as possible.
2015-1-30
Use props
michael.tessito
lvl.1

United States

tatstechtalk@gm Posted at 2014-11-10 04:00
I fully dischaged the battery, not knowing that was a problem, and left it for about 2 weeks. I also ...

There's a good video about this on YouTube. It happens and there's a way to get it going again. Search YT.
2015-1-31
Use props
rotorpilot
New

United States

kiteflyer60@yah Posted at 2014-10-6 06:04
I just got a new P2V+ yesterday and within 40 minutes I lost control of it and it crashed into a pal ...

I recommend starting with a simpler unit,it helped me a lot.
2015-1-31
Use props
grangerfx.gmail
lvl.4
Flight distance : 817713 ft
United States

I had my second flight with my P2V+ today. The biggest problem I ran into was the sun. There is a huge part of the sky which is too bright to see my white drone. In the future I plan to fly with the sun at my back and the drone in front of me. I have ordered a hood and iPad Mini mount which should really help me see the video and status displays.

I attached a small light iBeacon called a LassoTag which costs $20, runs for months on a single battery (which you can buy 50 of for $8 on Amazon).  It has a 50 foot radius in which the iOS app can see the beacon and measure its signal strength. This can help find a lost drone if it goes down. I used a zip tie to attach it to the top of the P2V+. I don't think it will affect the performance of the P2V+ much and offers a bit of extra confidence.

On landing, I made the mistake of setting down on my gravel driveway. It is not entirely level and the drone skipped a bit and tipped over onto its props. They got a few chips in two of them so I replaced them and ordered another set from Amazon. In the future I have a better spot I can use in my yard which is level and has low grass while I get better at landings.
2015-1-31
Use props
jmanaya
lvl.2
Flight distance : 40840 ft
Venezuela

Brandon00151 Posted at 2015-1-31 12:51
So I guess Im posting this in the right place but anyways. So a little over a month ago I got my fir ...

Well my advice for you is read, read and read. I was reading about 2 weeks before my first flight. Always look for a open space without people (this device atract a lot questions from the people around and that plus the nervuos that you can be then... is not a good combination) or edification. I recomend that you beging with IOC mode (investigate at youtube) until you feel ok with it. REMEMBER PHANTOM IS NOT A TOY.
2015-1-31
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules