Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
iPad mini 4 or Air 2?
3360 15 2016-4-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Jim09
lvl.3
United States

Hello all...

Getting ready to purchase the Inspire 1 V2.0 today and was wondering what everyone's take is on the the best iPad to use with it... Mini 4? Air 2?

Looking forward to your responses

Jim09
2016-4-1
Use props
gybo102
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2426230 ft
United States

I have both the iPad Air and the Mini 4, I personally like the mini for the weight savings. I also dont feel like I am loosing too much screen size to be unusable.
2016-4-1
Use props
Jim09
lvl.3
United States

Thanks gybo... Do you notice much lag time?
2016-4-1
Use props
gybo102
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2426230 ft
United States

Jim09 Posted at 2016-4-1 14:28
Thanks gybo... Do you notice much lag time?

..... There is no lag
I have tried the samsung Tabs, low to high end and I experienced heavy lag, unusable for my taste. even the ipad mini 2 works perfectly, and if you can find one, they are cheap.
2016-4-1
Use props
RichJ53
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1837356 ft
  • >>>
United States

I am still using the iPad mini 2  (32gig mem) with very good luck.  If I were to choose now, I would get the mini 4  I really like the size for everything that I do.

Rich
2016-4-1
Use props
Jim09
lvl.3
United States

Can I assume that I don't need an iPad with cellular capability?  just wifi?
2016-4-1
Use props
snathla
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5045295 ft
  • >>>
United States

gybo102 Posted at 2016-4-1 10:23
I have both the iPad Air and the Mini 4, I personally like the mini for the weight savings. I also d ...

I bought the mini 4 and could not get the aircraft to connect. I gather from your post that mini 4 works just fine and maybe mine was a bad unit? Can you tell me if you ran into any issues and how you were able to fix? What OS was in the mini 4?
2016-4-1
Use props
Jim09
lvl.3
United States

found the answer to my own question in another forum... (I think... LMAO).   Looks like you only need wi-fi.  Also read that the iPad Air 2 FPV hardware was chosen by DJI to design the Inspire 1 around, and actually optimizes DJI GO to run on.  Interesting...hmmmm....
2016-4-1
Use props
I1ADDICT
lvl.2

United States

Congrats on an Inspire 1 purchase.  Get ready for any amazing  experience.  For me it's been one of those things in life that is just  unreal and the range I can get in the valley is really unexpected.  Now  add the amazing X3 camera you get, and I just cannot believe this is  something I can do and produce the video's I can get while flying in  720p at 30 fps (usually) is Zen(muse) for me. ;)
I have the IPad Air 2 64gb and think it's better over the Samsung video experience for sure, but the size of the screen and the clarity is just unreal.  I recline in my chair and it's a pretty big screen for the field, but I love my big screen at home, so it's what I like...and put a victorian style hood over when I want to zone out and throw on tunes.  The hoods are great and all, but it's the backlighting that I get glare from...which the full black hood resolves but leaves feeling sorta vulnerable if you're alone.   It looks nerdy, but trust me, cutting off that backlight glare really helps put me in the pilot seat.  I also use a simple VR Setup.  Here's my post from another thread second down.  I use a VR Box with my S5-S6 phone and then 3D FPV for the head tracking (where you look, the camera looks).  It's a pretty surreal experience and I personally love it.

http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?m ... 93&page=1#pid336482

Congrats again man!  You're gonna love this thing...it's worth the extra ca$h IMO. Keep us posted on how it goes/unboxing/first flight/etc
2016-4-1
Use props
Jim09
lvl.3
United States

Cheers Addict...
2016-4-1
Use props
Jim09
lvl.3
United States

Anyone else? I still have until the 13th before my bird comes in... (Can't wait)...!!!  Still haven't decided which iPad to go with... Leaning toward the 64GB Air 2
2016-4-2
Use props
Cougar1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 924393 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Jim09 Posted at 2016-4-2 20:18
Anyone else? I still have until the 13th before my bird comes in... (Can't wait)...!!!  Still haven' ...

Prefer the Mini 4, but that is my take.
Check this unbiased evaluation before deciding.

http://displaymate.com/iPad_2015_ShootOut_1.htm
2016-4-3
Use props
Jim09
lvl.3
United States

Thanks Cougar... Great article
2016-4-3
Use props
stormtrooper101
lvl.2
  • >>>
Canada

I have two I1's, and I use mini2's for both of them... have had zero issue.  Display size is perfect for me.  
2016-4-3
Use props
Chicago Air Dro
lvl.1

IPad Air 2 is the way to go, but even with the inspire tablet mount
I have found I get some side to side wobble especially with a sun shade on.

Solution: Stability Bracket you can order it from China or FAA Drone Decals.com
It works like a dream and no floppy tablet ever.

Inspire Stability Bracket

Inspire Stability Bracket
2016-4-4
Use props
Jim09
lvl.3
United States

Thanks for the info Chicago Air Drones
2016-4-4
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now