x5r SSD reader and downloading card questions
17880 38 2016-4-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
tom.grizzlycree
lvl.1
  • >>>
United States

I just recieved my Inspire 1 RAW.  I think the SSD reader that came with it is faulty.  I can't get any clips to export through CineLight and it freezes up the computer each time when I try to click on a clip.  Tried multiple CPU including brand new iMAC maxed out with RAM and also many different USB3 cables.  Wondering what third party reader might work for these cards?

Also, I'm wondering if there's a way to offload a full card in the field without going through the CineLight app?
2016-4-1
Use props
tucci
lvl.2
Flight distance : 540331 ft
United States

Can you drag the clip folders direct off the mounted SSD to the desktop and then load from there? If I can tell correctly just from the pictures on DJI site, the SSD appears to use a micro SATA interface. If you get a micro SATA to SATA adapter (pretty cheap on Amazon.com) maybe you can connect SSD to your Mac using a regular SATA drive dock?
2016-4-1
Use props
terrylewis
First Officer
Flight distance : 3517287 ft
  • >>>
United States

Tom, take a look at Ian Cresswell's thread on the X5R Video "The West in Winter". Filmed Entirely with the X5R..

The second post is a "behind the scenes" 30 minute discussion. Fast Forward to about 18:01 and the part you want to see starts around 18:48... This thread and his videos might give your more insight into your issue with the X5R USB3 Reader and Cinelight.
2016-4-1
Use props
AusTex
lvl.1

tucci Posted at 2016-4-2 06:41
Can you drag the clip folders direct off the mounted SSD to the desktop and then load from there? If ...

I'm using a Mac - the Finder doesn't see the media files on the SSD - nothing to drag.  It appears that you really must (at the moment) use Cinelight to export the files.
2016-4-2
Use props
tucci
lvl.2
United States

AusTex Posted at 2016-4-2 14:42
I'm using a Mac - the Finder doesn't see the media files on the SSD - nothing to drag.  It appears ...

So the drive mounts in finder but you don't see any files in it? But, in Cinelight the drive shows up with clips in it but when you click a clip it crashes the software?
2016-4-2
Use props
AusTex
lvl.1

tucci Posted at 2016-4-3 06:47
So the drive mounts in finder but you don't see any files in it? But, in Cinelight the drive shows ...

Nothing crashed for me - but the Finder could not see files on the mounted SSD volume.
2016-4-2
Use props
I1d
lvl.2
Flight distance : 291634 ft
  • >>>
Canada

You must use cinelight so it's working as expected but hopefully this will change in the future to allow easier data dumps no professional shoots.  The data flow now is... less than ideal.
2016-4-2
Use props
HelloAirbot
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1106296 ft
  • >>>
United States

Your problem sounds exactly like what I experienced.

The Fix
Make sure you're on the newest version of OSX 10.11.4 it includes a bug fix for "slow loading camera Raw files"
- This made it work perfectly

Then one day later the card would not show up at all
The Fix
With the Card in the reader (green light on) shut down then reboot holding down "Command + R" go into Disk Utility. There you will most likely see the card click on it then (top left) click shut down. Now reboot normally and launch Cinelight. Problem Solved.

Things have been stable for a week now. It works good. The camera is awesome!

Good luck!
2016-4-3
Use props
Mike9129
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4112812 ft
Ireland

Has anyone tried this on windows? How does it work for you?
2016-4-3
Use props
nivong
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2267251 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Guys it's currently bugged. To mount your DJI SSD on a mac:
Shutdown your mac, plugin the reader + SSD and boot it up. Launch cinelight and it will show all your footage. After you are done and unmount your SSD and you have made more footage and want to remount your SSD, shutdown your mac and plugin the reader etc.

For windows it's currently working fine.

DJI is using their own file system (like NTFS, EXT, FAT, FAT32, etc) DJI has it's own system and only cinelight is able to read that data as of know.
2016-4-3
Use props
gregdavis
lvl.2
Flight distance : 83146 ft
  • >>>

I'm having the same problems mentioned in the previous posts and none of the "fixes" worked for me. The CineLight Manual specifically says that Mac OS X 10.11 and 10.11.2 is not fully supported which means the brand new software for the Inspire is only supported for Mac's that have not been updated in over six months.  The bottom line is DJI created proprietary software for their SSD that when released is over six months out of date and full of bugs.  The way i see it, my Inspire 1 Raw SSD is essentially useless until they update the CineLight software.   This is incredibly sloppy on DJI's part.  BTW using a Mac Pro 6 core 32 GB ram OS X 10.11.4
2016-4-4
Use props
PowerZhang
lvl.1
Flight distance : 35397 ft
Hong Kong

Mike9129 Posted at 2016-4-3 19:25
Has anyone tried this on windows? How does it work for you?

If you bought a X5R,In the SSD,you will find there are two tools for export data from X5R SSD.One is for MacOS,ther other is for Windows platform.
2016-4-5
Use props
PowerZhang
lvl.1
Flight distance : 35397 ft
Hong Kong

nivong Posted at 2016-4-3 20:43
Shutdown your mac, plugin the reader +  ...

Yes,you are right.DJI use DJI File System!
2016-4-5
Use props
mail
lvl.1

Germany

Hi,
is it normal, that I get only about 100 MB/s out of der X5R reader? I´ve got the latest Mac Pro (64GB RAM / 10 Cores) with fast storage.
That´s not so fast!!
2016-4-6
Use props
cupsandpills
lvl.2
Flight distance : 28547 ft
  • >>>

Having the same problems as all of you.  Going to try updating mac os. then will try the shutdown and turn on.  dedicated to figuring this out today, and will report back.
2016-4-6
Use props
mail
lvl.1

Germany

And I need a possibility to mount the X5R SSD as normal drive to backup it directly via shotputpro to two other SATA SSDs ...
I hope there will be more functions in the future?!
2016-4-6
Use props
fulllockmedia
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

Update

Previously, we could not get the SSD reader to work in Cinelight on any computers - MAC only here.
Connected it and it would not appear; opened Cinelight and then it would appear on desktop empty, and in cinelight clips would appear but you could not see them or playback / no thumbnails. the program also worked SO sluggishly it would crash repeatedly.

We went and downloaded the newest version of Mac OS El Capitan to one of our iMacs and shot some new footage on the drone stationary as a test.  
Plugged the card into the reader, computer already on and plugged reader into the computer.
the drive doesn't immediately show up - we then opened cinelight and boom - clips appear and the drive appears on desktop / finder.
If you click on the drive you can't see anything inside of it, but cinelight works at normal speed now (not slow / borderline crash) and I can actually see the RAW clips.
Updated a MacBook Pro however, and it does not show up with plugging it in.  I restarted the computer with the drive plugged in and when it comes back on, it appears and opens in Cinelight (also shows it as empty in finder).  So it seems the restart and update is the way to go, restarting computer everytime you plug it in.

It seems the SSD does not record the photos, however - just the video clips.
Is this consistent with what everyone else is getting?

I am having other issues with X5R gimbal as well that I feel like can't be just me (focus calibration, initializing) - going to start a new thread so we can all stay on top of that.

2016-4-6
Use props
Rob W
Second Officer
Flight distance : 94390 ft
  • >>>
Sweden

fulllockmedia Posted at 2016-4-6 17:54
Update

Previously, we could not get the SSD reader to work in Cinelight on any computers - MAC only ...

I'm still waiting for my X5R, so can't test yet. But I read a bit in the manual today, and if I remember correctly, photos are only stored on the SD card, not the SSD. The SSD is only for movie clips.
2016-4-6
Use props
fulllockmedia
lvl.2
  • >>>

thanks for that! makes sense.
2016-4-6
Use props
jacobg
lvl.2
Flight distance : 928038 ft
  • >>>

Guys,
How do I delete one video file in the Cinelight app; say there are 3 videos listed; I highlight the one I want to delete and right click; the only option is to export; then I tried to go to Edit on top bar, but delete is grayed out.
Help / advice greatly appreciated
2016-4-6
Use props
lessinspired
lvl.1

United States

Just went for a little test flight with x5r and so far so good.   Shots look good but this cinelight process is no good.  Takes forever to export media off card.  Its telling me 1 hour to export 3 minutes of footage.  I wanted to just copy the card but you cant do that.  I really dont know how I can use this on jobs if i cant effectively copy media on battery changes.  Sure, you can pick up a half a dozen cards, oh wait  I dont have 9 grand for cards.
2016-4-6
Use props
nivong
lvl.3
  • >>>
Netherlands

fulllockmedia Posted at 2016-4-6 17:54
Update

Previously, we could not get the SSD reader to work in Cinelight on any computers - MAC only ...

Uhm it's shoots 30 photo's RAW DNG per second in 4K. I am not following you?

Just went for a little test flight with x5r and so far so good.   Shots look good but this cinelight process is no good.  Takes forever to export media off card.  Its telling me 1 hour to export 3 minutes of footage.  I wanted to just copy the card but you cant do that.  I really dont know how I can use this on jobs if i cant effectively copy media on battery changes.  Sure, you can pick up a half a dozen cards, oh wait  I dont have 9 grand for cards.
You can just export them as DNG files and that is how you "copy" the data, for 15 minutes it takes about 30 minutes for me to copy all the footage. Which is reasonable.

Guys,
How do I delete one video file in the Cinelight app; say there are 3 videos listed; I highlight the one I want to delete and right click; the only option is to export; then I tried to go to Edit on top bar, but delete is grayed out.
Help / advice greatly appreciated
You can't as of now. You can only format the SSD in app.
2016-4-7
Use props
mail
lvl.1

Germany

mmh. My MacPro (10 core / 64GB RAM etc) needs for 1 minutes just "copy" (same as source) round about 8 minutes!!
What´s your setup nivong?
2016-4-7
Use props
nivong
lvl.3
  • >>>

mail@danielvese Posted at 2016-4-7 20:19
mmh. My MacPro (10 core / 64GB RAM etc) needs for 1 minutes just "copy" (same as source) round about ...

Also Mac pro totally upgraded. You should copy clip for clip. When selecting all clips the time increases to 7 hours! But when doing clip by clip it's only few minutes.
2016-4-7
Use props
jimbo
lvl.1

United States

Has anyone figured out how to do a straight file move with transcoding later? For my shoot it sucks to have to do a long transcode when you want to download...
2016-5-11
Use props
cinematic_aero
lvl.2
United States

jimbo@digitalfa Posted at 2016-5-11 20:31
Has anyone figured out how to do a straight file move with transcoding later? For my shoot it sucks  ...

The closest to a straight file transfer you can get is using Cinelight to "export" the footage as plain Adobe DNG Raw or using the Windows transfer tool.

The actual mSATA SSD used for storage for the X5R is a specially made samsung SSD with DJI locked firmware on it. The chip actually has a little DJI sticker put on it during manufacturing by Samsung. What this means is that the only way the contents of the SSD can be accessed is through Cinelight (or Windows tool) AND the DJI SSD reader. Both the SSD and reader have firmware that Cinelight checks to make sure everything is valid. If a non-DJI mSATA SSD is formatted in the Inspire 1 and opened in Cinelight, it will throw a "This is an invalid SSD" error, proving there is a firmware check involved in the process.

On top of that, the propietary file system used in formatting means DJI software is the only way to access the contents anyway instead of simply mounting the partition on your computer.

2016-5-12
Use props
Phoenixaerial
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

Can you save raw files to the sd card only on the x5r  instead of spending $1500 on a SSD drive now you can get one of these ..Plenty of room and way cheaper..  http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Ul ... sd+card+256gb+micro
2016-5-15
Use props
gybo102
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2426230 ft
United States

Phoenixaerial Posted at 2016-5-16 09:56
Can you save raw files to the sd card only on the x5r  instead of spending $1500 on a SSD drive now  ...

You can only use the micro SD card slot for NON RAW video footage as the data rate is too high in RAW (1.7gbps+)
2016-5-16
Use props
info147
New

Sweden

mail@danielvese Posted at 2016-4-6 15:27
Hi,
is it normal, that I get only about 100 MB/s out of der X5R reader? I´ve got the latest Mac Pro ...

Hi all,
Anyone having an issue with extreamly long render times/copy times from the hefty priced SSD:s to video edit computer?
Two minutes of raw to prores HQ without any alterations of original footage is around 6 - 8 hours on a rather potent macPro computer. Is that normal or is something suspiciously slow?
Thanks for answering.

Max
2016-9-19
Use props
cinematic_aero
lvl.2
United States

Yes, I have that, everyone does. It's Cinelight, not your computer. I have a decked out Mac Pro I tried it on and it still takes just as long. My advice is to export the footage as Cinema DNG Raw which goes a lot faster because it is just copying the files off the card. Then, use Da Vinci Resolve, or Compressor to transcode to ProRes.
2016-9-19
Use props
fans77b68e3a
lvl.1

United States

Anyone figure out a way to download faster? Even when i export cinema dng it takes forever like 60min for 2min of footage.

everyone export cinema dng regular or cinema dng premier pro?
2016-11-8
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

fans77b68e3a Posted at 2016-11-9 11:00
Anyone figure out a way to download faster? Even when i export cinema dng it takes forever like 60mi ...

Some have reported being able to upload via Premiere or Lightroom if you're running its latest software.
2016-11-9
Use props
fans77b68e3a
lvl.1

United States

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2016-11-9 22:34
Some have reported being able to upload via Premiere or Lightroom if you're running its latest sof ...

what do you mean? Premier and Lightroom can read the ssd?
2016-11-17
Use props
iSkyUnmannedSys
lvl.4
Flight distance : 7152087 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

fans77b68e3a Posted at 2016-11-17 21:04
what do you mean? Premier and Lightroom can read the ssd?

If you are applying any correction to the DNG's through Cinelight then the processing time is painfully slow. You only need to offload the DNG stack off the SSD. Then you can use PP or Resolve to apply correction etc and then export them as ProRes.

2016-11-18
Use props
fans5a031bf2
New

United States

nivong Posted at 2016-4-3 04:43
Shutdown your mac, plugin the reader + SSD and boot it up. Launch cinelight and it will show all your footage. After you are done and unmount your SSD and you have made more footage and want to remount your SSD, shutdown your mac and plugin the reader etc.

Hello, Thanks for posting this (post #10 above). Turning off my MBP and connecting the X5R reader with the X5R SSD > then turning on my MacBook Pro (running El Capitan 10.11.6) worked for me.
I had been trying to figure out why the drive/reader was not mounting and showing on my desktop, and your solution was sound advise. Thanks.
2016-12-29
Use props
fans54a0e886
lvl.2
Flight distance : 57740 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Hijacking the thread with a quick and easy question is there any use for the DJi SSD on the inspire 2 if you are not shooting in raw? To pull data off the SSD and Edit is it ONLY compatible with Cinelight?
2017-1-26
Use props
iSkyUnmannedSys
lvl.4
Flight distance : 7152087 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

fans54a0e886 Posted at 2017-1-26 09:08
Hijacking the thread with a quick and easy question is there any use for the DJi SSD on the inspire 2 if you are not shooting in raw? To pull data off the SSD and Edit is it ONLY compatible with Cinelight?

This thread relates to the X5R and not the X5S on the I2. Different process for using the SSD from the X5S.
2017-1-27
Use props
Kiffkool
lvl.4
Flight distance : 812808 ft
United Kingdom

I'm having a mare of a time with mine if you could advise on my thread ?

http://forum.dji.com/thread-82813-1-1.html

Chris
2017-1-29
Use props
MicroDrone Afri
lvl.2
Flight distance : 3404324 ft
Kenya

I already have an inspire pro. Lately, im receiving demands for raw video. The x5r is $2400 while an inspire 2 x5r is 6k plus accessories. Is the workflow on the x5r to bad? I am a commercial operator and my average recording time per day is approx 30 minutes. With the x5r and 3 ssd cards, will I survive? Any one has some information on how long it takes to just copy the DNG stack? I also realize that using the x5d might mean that I might have to do some DIT duties for the clients since most DITs might not have some experience with cinelight and the x5r workflow. Any experience on this?

CHRISTIAN
2017-10-9
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules