Can the P4 battery times be fixed in firmware?
943 11 2016-4-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
tpallai
lvl.4

United States

title says it all, but can firmware help to improve battery life somehow. I'm averaging like 20-22 minutes. I actually just spoke to DJI about the issue too and they said that their HQ is aware that customers are having this problem. So can it be fixed through firmware?
2016-4-1
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Well, battery flight time is always less in practice when compared to the DJI published times. I think they measure it under ideal conditions, which you would never duplicate in the field. But fixing it by firmware, no, I don't think so. Even the P3 never got to its published flight time.
2016-4-1
Use props
DJI-Dave
Second Officer

United States

Not really something that firmware will change.

Dave
2016-4-1
Use props
DJI-Dave
Second Officer

United States

I am so used to flying my Inspire with the X5R that when I fly my Phantom3 or Phantom2 I feel like it will never be time to land. I am always checking the battery thinking it has to be almost done but no it just keeps going.
Perspective....
I guess....

Dave
2016-4-1
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

DJI-Dave Posted at 2016-4-2 11:40
I am so used to flying my Inspire with the X5R that when I fly my Phantom3 or Phantom2 I feel like i ...

Yes, I agree. My problem is always that my attention span is less than the battery flight time, so it is never an issue.
2016-4-1
Use props
DJI-Dave
Second Officer

United States

Geebax Posted at 2016-4-1 17:42
Yes, I agree. My problem is always that my attention span is less than the battery flight time, so ...

This is true for most all of us. Including me.  I think if we ever got to a 1 hour flight time we would see a lot of crashes towards the end of the flight because of attention span. People need a small break in-between flights.
I think one day we will see 1 hour flight times (in the future) and it will be good for certain circumstances but not for everyone every-time. I personally do not need that long of a flight time. Not at all.
I do wish my Inspire flew as long as my Phantom though.

Dave
2016-4-1
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

DJI-Dave Posted at 2016-4-2 11:51
This is true for most all of us. Including me.  I think if we ever got to a 1 hour flight time we  ...

My flights are always way less than the available time for most purposes, so I don't miss having long flight times. I always seem to fly fairly repetitive sequences.
2016-4-1
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

DJI-Dave Posted at 2016-4-2 11:51
This is true for most all of us. Including me.  I think if we ever got to a 1 hour flight time we  ...

What I would like to see though is development of fuel cell technology for powering drones. Batteries are OK, but a fuel cell will not suffer from voltage sag in flight, is less subject to temperature extremes, should last longer than batteries and you always know for sure how much fuel is in the tank.

2016-4-1
Use props
mcritchley
lvl.2
Flight distance : 359278 ft
Ireland

See article on the BBC about a  fuel cell powered drone http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-35890486
2016-4-1
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

mcritchley Posted at 2016-4-2 14:35
See article on the BBC about a  fuel cell powered drone http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-35890486

Yes, thank you. I saw that. Some years ago there was a company offering fuel cell kits for RC model cars, I wish I had bought one at the time to experience it.
2016-4-1
Use props
nickmedici
lvl.3
Flight distance : 88287 ft
United States

Just so you know the advertised 28 min is in Atti mode so try that and see what happens. Obviously that disables gps and decreases the amount of battery that has to be used.
2016-4-2
Use props
DJI-Dave
Second Officer

United States

Geebax Posted at 2016-4-1 20:25
What I would like to see though is development of fuel cell technology for powering drones. Batter ...

Yeah, that would be cool to see fuel cell tech in our drones.

Dave
2016-4-2
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules