What to do when you aren't using your drone
1815 28 2016-4-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
classic2003
lvl.2
Flight distance : 632769 ft
Canada

When not using the drone for a long time we need to discharge the battery? How much?
2016-4-3
Use props
madaerial
lvl.2
Flight distance : 512251 ft
United States

It has been said that you should store it at 50% if you aren't going to be using it for a number of days.
2016-4-3
Use props
classic2003
lvl.2
Canada

Okay and what about the remote's battery? What do we do with that?
2016-4-3
Use props
glen.mcfarlane
lvl.1

Australia

I was at the DJI New Pilot training on Saturday. In short, Drone Battery if not being used for 10+ days should not be at 100%. May have significant issues related to LiPo batteries, nothing to do with DJI. You can leave your Phantom running without props to drain the batteries.

As for your RC this was less of an issue, but can also be left on to drain the battery.

As to how much 50% sounds like a good number. They went into the technical detail as to 20% of the battery in the display/app isn't actually 20%, it's 20% of available power. I'm sure others can provide the detail here if you're interested.
2016-4-3
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>

Your flight batteries automatically discharge to storage level at 10 days of non use. You can adjust that time in the app. I have mine set to 3 days.
Also, if you push the power button the timer resets, so don't touch the battery for 2 days after you have the days set for.
Also, if you store a battery in the aircraft it will not auto discharge. So if you store a fully charged one in the aircraft for long term you will damage the battery.
2016-4-3
Use props
Bobcape3
lvl.2
Flight distance : 135787 ft
United States

glen.mcfarlane Posted at 2016-4-3 19:29
I was at the DJI New Pilot training on Saturday. In short, Drone Battery if not being used for 10+ d ...

Where do you find a New Pilot training?  Thanks.

Bob
2016-4-3
Use props
ml.990
lvl.1
Flight distance : 96591 ft
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-4-4 11:22
Your flight batteries automatically discharge to storage level at 10 days of non use. You can adjust ...

Did not know that feature was automated, how cool!
2016-4-3
Use props
08ninja250r
lvl.1

ml.990 Posted at 2016-4-4 14:56
Did not know that feature was automated, how cool!

So that's why they are 170.00 batteries got it
2016-4-3
Use props
FatedFilmsNC
lvl.4

United States

Bobcape3 Posted at 2016-4-4 01:09

Bob

DartDrones offers flight training in several major cities across the nation. I'm signed up for April 16th in Raleigh, just to get the knowledge ( and certification) for basic knowledge of UAVs.
2016-4-4
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-4-3 21:22
Your flight batteries automatically discharge to storage level at 10 days of non use. You can adjust ...

Why won't a battery pack in the Phantom discharge, as set in the app? Is this knowledge public, and where in the manuals or help guides of literature is it explained?
If that in fact damages a charged battery, why wasn't this information shared with the world wide customer base? Seems like an important omission, other than a purposeful method to sell more batteries. Knowing they will have a shortened life. Eh?

RedHotPoker
2016-4-4
Use props
Thacyoon
lvl.2

Norway

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-4-4 05:22

Your flight batteries automatically discharge to storage level at 10 days of non use. You can adjust that time in the app. I have mine set to 3 days.
Also, if you push the power button the timer resets, so don't touch the battery for 2 days after you have the days set for.
Also, if you store a battery in the aircraft it will not auto discharge. So if you store a fully charged one in the aircraft for long term you will damage the battery.

Wow, I did not know that! Is this covered in the manual? This is important information.

2016-4-4
Use props
mjlstudios
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1540131 ft
  • >>>
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2016-4-4 05:30
Why won't a battery pack in the Phantom discharge, as set in the app? Is this knowledge public, an ...

Hey RHP like I've been saying in a lot of posts, DJI NEEDS TO UPDATE THE MANUALS AND THE TUTORIALS! So much has changed through firmware updates that the manual and tutorials are OUT OF DATE!
2016-4-4
Use props
CapitAn
Second Officer
  • >>>
Canada

Bobcape3 Posted at 2016-4-4 01:09

Bob

There's a tab at the top-left of the list to show events in your continent:

http://events.dji.com/npe
2016-4-4
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

Some is in the manual and some is in the battery guidelines.
http://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/p ... _Guidelines__en.pdf
2016-4-4
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2016-4-4 17:30
Why won't a battery pack in the Phantom discharge, as set in the app? Is this knowledge public, an ...

I may have mis-spoke about that.
At least in my Phantom3 Pro I forgot I had a battery in the aircraft and after a week the batteries were all at storage level except the one in the aircraft was still at 100%.So at least that's how it works on my aircraft.

I will send suggestions to the battery team.
2016-4-4
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

My onboard batteries in the drone do discharge after a few days. So Dohh, your misspoken comment may be an understatement. ;-)
@DJI-Ken, Do you have a completely trouble free drone? I do, so it works just as it has been designed to do.
When we set a discharge time in the app, do we have to insert each individual battery into the drone and make that setting?
Ah, or do the intelligent flight battery packs understand the time change you have set, and create an algorithm on their own? Ha
Yeah, all my battery packs discharge in the time frame set in the Go App. Even the one installed within the Phantom  3 Pro' cargo hold.

RedHotPoker
2016-4-4
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-4-4 08:07
I may have mis-spoke about that.
At least in my Phantom3 Pro I forgot I had a battery in the aircra ...

Perhaps the battery in the drone was actually set at ten days discharge, and the others were set as you mentioned? That would be a better explanation. And makes sense. I have never checked an onboard battery and found it to be 100% charged. Never. If it sits for a few days, it will begin to lose its charge.

RedHotPoker
2016-4-4
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2016-4-5 05:09
Perhaps the battery in the drone was actually set at ten days discharge, and the others were set a ...

I did it again as a test and the battery in the aircraft never went into discharge. I have all of them set to 3 days.
But that may just be how my P3P works.
2016-4-4
Use props
classic2003
lvl.2
Canada

Oh okay that's good to know, also, have you ever travelled with your drone?
2016-4-4
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-4-4 15:22
I did it again as a test and the battery in the aircraft never went into discharge. I have all of  ...

When you set the discharge time to 3 days in the Go app, do you have to insert each battery to change the time frame, or do they connect wirelessly to the app too? If I decide to change mine from ten days to three, do I physically insert each battery into the drone to make the change, or just wait until I fly with them individually again? It's no problem to insert them individually just to make the parameter change either. It seems very odd to me, that a battery pack, intelligent or otherwise,  would remain fully charged indefinately. An explosion would be devastating...
Are you suggesting we remove our flight batteries from the drone for long term storage.
If so, there should be a post of explanation and warning, if not in the current available manuals. Addendum...

RedHotPoker
2016-4-4
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

When I copied this from the manual, this is how it pasted.
Removebatteriesfromtheaircraftwhenstoredforanextendedperiod

RedHotPoker
2016-4-4
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2016-4-5 06:01
When you set the discharge time to 3 days in the Go app, do you have to insert each battery to cha ...

I was just stating that i had forgotten to remove by battery for a week.
I would think no one would keep one installed in the aircraft long term anyways.
2016-4-4
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Ok, I will update each battery in the drone, through the app, to change my desired discharge time frame, from 10 ~ 3 days.

Directly After my next flight. ;-)

The reason I leave mine locked and loaded, is for the sake of convenience. Plus storage in the hardshell case is limited to but three battery packs, and one in the drone. ;-)
I wish the foam insert could be configured that it would actually hold 4-5 extra batteries. Perhaps in the future as the "possibilities" are also endless. Hahaha
Sacrifice the RC storage area, for two more flight battery packs. Or add a couple inches to the exterior here and there to make for a slightly larger compartment overall.

RedHotPoker
2016-4-4
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>

RedHotPoker Posted at 2016-4-5 06:23
Ok, I will update each battery in the drone, through the app, to change my desired discharge time fr ...

If it will auto discharge for you when installed then that's great. But I wouldn't store long term anyways in the aircraft.
I have 4 batteries and I just leave one on the counter and put it in the aircraft and I head out to fly.
2016-4-4
Use props
glen.mcfarlane
lvl.1

Australia

Bobcape3 Posted at 2016-4-4 13:09

Bob

Hopefully the link works. Events right around the world.
2016-4-4
Use props
Craig Rogers
lvl.2
Flight distance : 168445 ft
United Kingdom

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-4-4 23:13
I was just stating that i had forgotten to remove by battery for a week.
I would think no one woul ...

I think a lot of people will leave their battery inside the drone for storage.

I do, or did until now.

The only issue is, I have 3 batteries and the case only has space for 2, so the other sits inside the drone.

I'll have to have a re-think about this.
2016-4-5
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

Actually it is supposed to auto discharge even if it's left in the aircraft.
I had an email conversation with the battery team last night and I am doing some testing with my batteries since they do not auto discharge while in the aircraft. (maybe because I have a special P3 version)
Anyways, feel free to test by changing your discharge time to 1 day on each battery and fully charge them and leave it in the aircraft for 2 days and remove and see if it's warm.
2016-4-5
Use props
Craig Rogers
lvl.2
Flight distance : 168445 ft
United Kingdom

I will give it a go later and report back
2016-4-5
Use props
Old Geezer
lvl.3
Flight distance : 23691 ft
United Kingdom

Sooooooo ... if I set my batteries to 10 day discharge ... I can haz flight time of 240 hours?

Gotta get me some of that
2016-4-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules