Caching Maps
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
CaptRuss
lvl.2

United States

When using an android (Nexus 7 '13) tablet with wifi capabilities only and that does not have cellular/mobile data capability, is it better to cache [offline] map areas with the tablet's (Google's "Save Offline Area") function, or with the GoApp map cache function?  If one caches with the GoApp's map caching function, where exactly is that information stored & retained?  Thanks much,  Russ
2016-4-3
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Cache in the Go app.
2016-4-3
Use props
CaptRuss
lvl.2

United States

Thanks; what are the advantages of caching via the GoApp, and would it not be advantageous to use the tablet's inherent Google Save Offline Areas function instead?  This would allow for saving several areas.  Or, is the GoApp able to maintain several, distinct map/flying areas?  If using the GoApp to cache maps, does the tablet need to remain powered on, and if not, where are those maps retained/stored?  If using the GoApp to cache maps, how can I create several different mapped areas for flying to be saved?  I had thought (mistakenly perhaps) that the GoApp simply reaches out to & acquires the cached map from Google Maps anyway and, if so, it would seem that GoApp merely functions as a middleman if using it, instead of Google Maps directly, to cache maps.  Thanks, everyone,  for fielding this barrage of questions.
2016-4-3
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

CaptRuss Posted at 2016-4-4 08:52
Thanks; what are the advantages of caching via the GoApp, and would it not be advantageous to use  ...

Just open the map view in the Go app, look around the areas you are interested in, at the detail level you want.
That's  it - you've just cached your maps and they'll be available next time you go flying.
2016-4-3
Use props
CaptRuss
lvl.2

United States

labroides@yahoo Posted at 2016-4-3 18:55
Just open the map view in the Go app, look around the areas you are interested in, at the detail le ...

Thanks, but I had gathered that from your earlier reply (which did not address any of my questions).  I understood the process for caching maps via the GoApp at the question's outset.  My questions had more to do with the "why" than they had to do with the "how" ;) .  So the same questions remain, and they are not about the "how-to" of it all, but about the "why":

- What are the advantages of caching via the GoApp?

- Would it not be advantageous to use the tablet's inherent Google Save Offline Areas function instead?  (This would allow for saving several areas.)

- Is the GoApp able to maintain several, distinct map/flying areas?

- If using the GoApp to cache maps, does the tablet need to remain powered on?

- If the tablet does not have to remain powered on after caching maps via the GoApp, where are those maps retained/stored?

- If using the GoApp to cache maps, how can I create several different mapped areas for flying to be saved?

I had thought (mistakenly perhaps) that the GoApp simply reaches out to & acquires the cached map from Google Maps anyway and, if so, it would seem that GoApp merely functions as a middleman if using it, instead of Google Maps directly, to cache maps.

Hopefully, one of the DJI folks will jump in here with their thoughts regarding the advantages and/or disadvantages of caching via GoApp versus Andoid/Google.
2016-4-3
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>

Caching maps are only useful if your tablet does not have data. When you get to your flying area without caching the maps you will get a blank map if your flying area is far from where you last used the GO app with WiFi.
BUT, you can just use your cell phone as a hot spot really quick to bring up the current map wherever you are flying at.
2016-4-3
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

CaptRuss Posted at 2016-4-4 10:39
Thanks, but I had gathered that from your earlier reply (which did not address any of my questions ...

- What are the advantages of caching via the GoApp?
I don't know

- Would it not be advantageous to use the tablet's inherent Google Save Offline Areas function instead?  (This would allow for saving several areas.)
I don't know ... but you can also cache several areas

- Is the GoApp able to maintain several, distinct map/flying areas?
Yes

- If using the GoApp to cache maps, does the tablet need to remain powered on?
It needs to be on to fly.  You can cache today, shut down and fly next week no problems

- If the tablet does not have to remain powered on after caching maps via the GoApp, where are those maps retained/stored?
I don't know

- If using the GoApp to cache maps, how can I create several different mapped areas for flying to be saved?
Explained earlier

It's really simple .. you just look at the areas you want to fly and that's it - it works.
I've never tried doing it in Google Maps because it works just fine in the Go app.
2016-4-3
Use props
CaptRuss
lvl.2

United States

Thank you both; I'll try it both ways and see what shakes out- I have a hunch that it is 6 of one, and a half-dozen of the other ;) .
2016-4-4
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules