Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Brush with Death ...
1555 18 2016-4-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
dobmatt
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1831050 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Practicing today a few figure 8 paths in nearby park, nothing too aggressive, relaxing, line of sight maintained ... Nice sunny Sunday, perhaps a bit too windy to my taste ... Get close to a spruce tree and - while executing the avoidance maneuver - the bird received particularly nasty wind gust ... I've heard this chilling "zeeep" sound of the blade trimming a tree top and - oh, up we go! Lucky me, it was just a brush ...

Never underestimate the power of wind, Brothers!

2016-4-3
Use props
terrylewis
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3517287 ft
  • >>>
United States

Wow, congrats on successful piloting and rapid recovery!!!!!!

It's always a good thing for the number of take-offs to equal the number of landings!
2016-4-3
Use props
RichJ53
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1837356 ft
  • >>>
United States

Well if you had nine lives.... you used all of them up

Rich
2016-4-3
Use props
dobmatt
Second Officer
  • >>>
Canada

RichJ53 Posted at 2016-4-3 22:19
Well if you had nine lives.... you used all of them up

Rich

Brother Rich, since you're here ... I'm seriously considering FPV googles. I'm trying to master low flying in tight spaces (by now with my training buddy P3P), since this is the most intriguing kind of filming I'm into.
It will certainly help me to avoid such close calls, but maybe I'm wrong? What's you thought?
2016-4-3
Use props
skycam
lvl.4

Australia

Flying FPV will certainly make flying in close quarters easy'er once you have mastered it.... this is a vid i did a while back with the inspire...
2016-4-4
Use props
R&L Aerial
Second Officer
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

I'd put on new props and a clean pair of undershorts.
2016-4-4
Use props
terrylewis
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3517287 ft
  • >>>
United States

skycam Posted at 2016-4-4 17:41
Flying FPV will certainly make flying in close quarters easy'er once you have mastered it.... this i ...

Wow.... And skycam isn't even using googles!!!!
Very impressive piloting.
How long does it take to gain the feel for clearance perspective?
Did you take baby steps to learn or just "jump all in"?
2016-4-4
Use props
Alastair
lvl.4
Flight distance : 96631 ft
Canada

A new use for the Inspire 1.... Tree trimming!
2016-4-4
Use props
M Stuart K
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1267717 ft
  • >>>
United States

That is some nice resolution footage!  Glad it turned out okay.  What do you use to cut your videos for posting!  
2016-4-4
Use props
M Stuart K
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1267717 ft
  • >>>
United States

skycam Posted at 2016-4-4 05:41
Flying FPV will certainly make flying in close quarters easy'er once you have mastered it.... this i ...

Very gutsy!
2016-4-4
Use props
dobmatt
Second Officer
  • >>>
Canada

M Stuart K Posted at 2016-4-5 02:09
That is some nice resolution footage!  Glad it turned out okay.  What do you use to cut your videos  ...

Sony Vegas Pro 10 64-bit, rendering output file with parameters identical to a source, in this case 1080/24frames. And Vimeo for publishing ...
2016-4-4
Use props
dobmatt
Second Officer
  • >>>
Canada

skycam Posted at 2016-4-4 17:41

Steven, you're my hero since you start posting Inspire footage on Vimeo! Video shooting and post-production skills (clearly seen on other publications) aside, I'll poop myself trying to achieve this level of drone piloting .
2016-4-4
Use props
dobmatt
Second Officer
  • >>>
Canada

R&L Aerial  Posted at 2016-4-4 19:53
I'd put on new props and a clean pair of undershorts.

I've examined the props, the only proof of my stupidity was a smear of resin on the tips, easily removed with WD40 and a napkin. As for my underwear ... surprisingly I was cool, perhaps not realizing the seriousness of this situation. Get scared later, watching the footage ... Idiot me ...
2016-4-4
Use props
RichJ53
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1837356 ft
  • >>>
United States

dobmatt Posted at 2016-4-3 21:47
Brother Rich, since you're here ... I'm seriously considering FPV googles. I'm trying to master lo ...

dobmatt
I guess you can get many opinions on this! I have the FatShark dominator HD googles and they are very nice. As I understand what you would like to do, it really depends on the video latency and your skill level. Any lag and you are going to have a problem in close quarters.

Also, with the P3P or Inspire you will not have head tracking and it is kind of like flying with your head stuck looking straight ahead.  So, this is a fixed point of reference.  I really like my googles for the small quads and I am not afraid of crashing 1.5-3K of aircraft if I make a mistake using it on my bigger aircraft.
It is lots of fun to fly first person too....   not sure if I helped you, but it is really up to you.

Rich  

2016-4-4
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

WOW, very lucky indeed.
2016-4-4
Use props
skycam
lvl.4

Australia

terrylewis Posted at 2016-4-4 20:39
Wow.... And skycam isn't even using googles!!!!
Very impressive piloting.
How long does it take  ...

Thanks terrylewis.... i started flying FPV about 3 years ago with the Phantoms, baby steps were the order... slowly increasing the difficulty .. the inspire is not the ideal UAV to learn close flying FPV on... to easy to break and expensive to repair ... i am using the ipad while i am waiting for the Avegant Glyph to arrive.. .( had them on pre'order for 19 months ).. got a email from Avegant saying i will get them this month.... YEEE HAA. i believe the Glyph will set a new standard flying FPV...
2016-4-4
Use props
skycam
lvl.4

Australia

Hi M Stuart K.... its all about getting the hours up practicing... once you get the confidence its really rewarding ...
2016-4-4
Use props
skycam
lvl.4

Australia

dobmatt Posted at 2016-4-5 03:05
Steven, you're my hero since you start posting Inspire footage on Vimeo! Video shooting and post-p ...

Thank you for your kind comment dobmatt... its no big deal really ... i think you could surprise yourself in a year or two .. just keep practicing....but...not with the inspire
2016-4-4
Use props
DJI-Tim
DJI team

Hong Kong

ohh that's scary! You are very lucky!
2016-4-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules