Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Does anyone use FPV Googles?
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
chefdrew
lvl.2
Flight distance : 665554 ft
United States

Hey All,

I was thinking about getting a pair for fun but also wanted something that I might try out with my P3A.  Can it be any kind of goggles?  Do you need a special app for your phone?  If the app free?  
Just checking to see if anyone has any advice.  Thanks!!!
2016-4-4
Use props
FAS1
lvl.4

United States

Don't think the GO app supports goggles but Litchi does, I am told.
2016-4-4
Use props
Donnie
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3636782 ft
United States

I would suggest looking at the "magnifying glass" search tool along the top  where the different models are listed and type FPV, you have a very valid question  and some very knowledgeable forum members have  made some great comments on this topic  you dont want to miss.  I personally dont like them, I thought I would and bought a used pair of Zeiss cinemizers. They were OK, I just don't think the technology is quite there for my expectations anyway .  You do have to make sure that you have an HDMI  Output on your Transmitter to use the best FPV glasses.  They do sell the module for about 100 dollars, it is a reasonably simple install and DJI has a  tutorial video .

Good luck - donnie

2016-4-4
Use props
Kneepuck
lvl.4
Flight distance : 275105 ft
United States

Donnie Posted at 2016-4-4 10:32
I would suggest looking at the "magnifying glass" search tool along the top  where the differen ...

Donnie ,  you are usually right on with your answers,  and I partially agree with you on this one as well. This question has been discussed pretty completely on here,  and absolutely the "immersive " fpv of vr goggles is a long,  long way from what I envisioned before I tried them.
However,  you will get a much,  much better result using the Litchi app and a cheap ( 25 dollar or so ) set of something like the VR box goggle setup than you will with any of the goggles that require an Hdmi input, thereby requiring a 99 dollar Hdmi module as well as the 350 dollar and up cost for the goggles.
Flying the Phantom with the litchi app,  and my cell phone inside the ( admittedly ugly ) goggles,  I get a 70 degree field of view at 720p resolution and I can control the gimbal tilt by tilting my head.  It is far better than squinting at a tiny screen in the sunlight even if you use a tablet with a shade,  imho.
2016-4-4
Use props
Donnie
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3636782 ft
United States

Kneepuck Posted at 2016-4-4 12:58
Donnie ,  you are usually right on with your answers,  and I partially agree with you on this one  ...

I guess I will have to try this method Kneepuck,  I was so disappointed with the   Zeiss  I did not even consider other ways ,  I am willing to try this method  you suggest .  So I just need to get the Litchi  from the app store and then order The "VR Box " from like E bay ?  who makes a good one in your estimation ?  and then simply run my cable from the RC USB port to my I Phone  which will be in some carboard box  with lenses basically correct ? I am near sighted which means exactly what is stated,  i can "See Near"  but I need glasses to Drive  , Fly Etc.  What do pilots do that are far sighted? Is there some type of lens correctors in the kit ?  Thanks for the Help on this, I am optimistic and I love the price !

Also please feel free to disagree with me .... i only get upset when people say things like  "  WHOA BOGUS ADVICE " OR   " YOUR WRONG "  and add no constuctive advice to the  Original Forum members question , just want to bitch that " I " am wrong .  That I hate and will usually come back swinging , but please Inform me on other opinions and the way  you did it was perfect.  

Cheers - donnie
2016-4-4
Use props
dobmatt
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1831050 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Donnie Posted at 2016-4-5 02:13
I guess I will have to try this method Kneepuck,  I was so disappointed with the   Zeis ...

Brothers Donnie and Kneepuck, this is the issue I would like to explore as well, particularly after my recent "spruce tree top trimming"/ close call accident . Top of the line Fat Shark Dominator V3 goggles (http://www.fatshark.com/product/dominator-v3/) will utilize HDMI output directly from Inspire RC and apparently provide the best image quality in it's class, but how this compares with - say - Samsung Gear VR Innovator device (http://www.samsung.com/ca/consum ... gear/SM-R321NZWAXAC)? What's the difference when piloting with such ridiculous box on your face?
2016-4-4
Use props
Kneepuck
lvl.4
United States

Donnie Posted at 2016-4-4 11:13
I guess I will have to try this method Kneepuck,  I was so disappointed with the   Zeis ...

Ok,  here is some detail.
dobmatt, I have the Dominator V3's.  To say I was not thrilled would be accurate.  While they do work, my mental image was that wearing them would be like sitting  2 or 3 feet away from an 80 inch display screen.  The reality was more like sitting 7 or 8 feet away from a 40 inch screen.  So,  my first reaction to this was,  ok,  359.00 for the FatSharks,  99.00 for the Hdmi module = big ripoff.

But no one can ever accuse me of being a quitter, ( just look at my record  of attempts to stop smoking ) so I got a set of the VRBox goggles,  which by the way Donnie,  are 3D plastic printed in black and white,  large enough to comfortably hold my Samsung Galaxy S5 phone,  and does not come with,  but you can order for a few dollars extra, some diopter corrective inserts for the nearsighted,  which I also am,  but I wear contact lenses so I did not buy those.  They cost on ebay about 25 dollars.
As I said earlier,  they provide a 70 degree field of view at 720p resolution,  and it is a far more effective solution than the Fatshark goggles.  I have read on here about the Headplay setup,  but have not tried those.  Someone claimed a 100 degree field of view with them.  I don't know about that,  but it seems that would be totally dependent on your device and the application.  You could not exceed what the application provides in any case..  It may be that they are confusing field of view with apparent screen size.  Whatever.

I cant wait for the day when we can have a full 360 degree immersive fpv, and I am sure that day will come,  but I also think it will take a while.
2016-4-4
Use props
Kneepuck
lvl.4
United States

dobmatt Posted at 2016-4-4 13:42
Brothers Donnie and Kneepuck, this is the issue I would like to explore as well, particularly afte ...

dobmatt,  I have not used the Samsung goggles,  but be aware,  the Fatshark Dominator v3's will only accept a 720p resolution input.  They have a dvr built in,  but will only record the composite signal input.  The memory card slot on mine is very hard to insert a card into and nearly impossible to remove.  They do not come with a charger,  so that is a small issue.  No manual either.  On the plus side,  they accept composite or Hdmi inputs,  will display both in either 2d or 3d if you have a 3d source,  and,  provided you purchase the module,  can be used to receive wireless fpv signal from a wireless fpv camera on the drone.  That will not receive the P3 signal,  however.  There are controls on the goggles to manipulate image contrast and brightness.  My biggest issue with them was screen size and field of view.  Since I already have them anyway,  what I do is, I wear the VRBox goggles,  because they control camera tilt and have a larger view.  I plug the Fatsharks into the Hdmi port on the controller and let my passenger,  ( or "co-pilot" ) wear them.  They don't know any difference and are universally thrilled with the view.  Except the ones who get a little airsick if I am in fpv mode instead of follow mode.  And even they still like the experience.

As to how it affects the flight experience,  it is difficult to judge distance from objects while wearing any of them.  I usually am a lot further away from things than I think I am.  I find this out when I review the video on my 48 inch computer monitor.  Still, your chances of seeing something like small branches or electric wires is much better wearing goggles than not.
2016-4-4
Use props
e.affonso
lvl.4
Flight distance : 6443990 ft
  • >>>
Brazil

I have the Farshark Dominator V3 and enjoying it very very much.  

I use the Dji application with it and wirks perfectly well with the necessary information displayed in the goggle.
2016-4-4
Use props
flormo2002
lvl.4
Flight distance : 12242710 ft
  • >>>

I'll know soon how I'll like this setup but I purchased the new Samsung Galaxy S7 edge a couple weeks ago and it included a pair of Samsung Gear VR goggles but will take a few more weeks before I receive them. My understanding is that the Samsung VR goggles only work with either the Galaxy S6 or the new S7's. Very small percentage of people own either the S6 or S7 but can hardly wait to check it out using Litchi
2016-4-4
Use props
dobmatt
Second Officer
  • >>>
Canada

Kneepuck Posted at 2016-4-4 19:12
dobmatt,  I have not used the Samsung goggles,  but be aware,  the Fatshark Dominator v3's will on ...

Dear Kneepuck (Gee, I hate nicknames ...), thank you for elaborate explanation. Correct me if I'm wrong: you wear VRBox, your "passenger" wear FatShark Dominator v3 with HDMI cable input from RC (720p resolution by default from all DJI HDMI modules, BTW) and off you go? What's inside VRBox? What do you see? In your opinion VR boxes provides better image quality, better FPV experience than FatShark goggles? Samsung seems to be the best money can buy, but they accept only Samsung S6 smartphone, not supported for DJI Go app by now, I believe. Sorry for bothering you, but this issue seems to be of paramount importance for my flying style ...

Matthew.
2016-4-4
Use props
Kneepuck
lvl.4
United States

You are correct on the setup I use.Inside the VRBox goggles is my Samsung Galaxy S5 smartphone.  The Litchi app ,  when you tap on the little goggle looking icon right below the top right hand menu button on the camera screen,  splits the screen in two.  At this point you can click on an icon that sets up the fpv view to your liking,  ie.  display flight data on the screen,  etc.  After you get things to your liking, you insert the phone into the tray that comes with the VRBox goggles then slide the tray into the goggle frame.  I have programmed one of the buttons on the back of my controller to toggle between the fpv goggle split screen view and the normal screen view. Since I already have the parameters that control the split screen display set to my liking,  this makes for a fast and easy way to get ready to fly. I just power up the S5 and insert it into the tray and slide the tray closed.  Then ,  when I power up the remote and the P3, the device automatically loads the Litchi app. I press the c2 button on the back of the controller and am ready to fly.  This works great on the Advanced and Pro, because the basic camera controls are accessible via the r/c, unlike on the Standard where you have to do everything through the app.  
When you put the goggles on,  it is just like the screen you would see on the device display,  except it appears larger and easier to see.  It is still a long way from the VR goggle view I imagined before I got some of them,  but it is far superior to the view I get from even my Nvidia Shield 8 inch tablet.  The only thing I have seen that is better is when I play back the video on my large computer monitor.  Also, it is worth noting,  the Shield tablet has an Hdmi output that I can also plug the FatShark goggles into,  but if I do this I can only use them by themselves,  as the Shield tablet will not fit inside the VRBox frame.
Of course,  if you need to adjust any parameters of the P3 that you can only access  through the app, you need to do those things before setting up the vr goggle view.

Dean
2016-4-4
Use props
DJI-Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft
Hong Kong

Hello, you don't need special app for the FPV glasses. And here is the tutorial of the HDMI module installing :
2016-4-4
Use props
GQ.
lvl.4

Canada

In my case this is what I use for immersion with my iPad Mini 4. It is very efficient and flexible. I dont have to wear googles all the time and I can be in line of sight whenever I wish in a fraction of a second.
IMG_3867.JPG
IMG_3866.JPG
2016-4-5
Use props
Rnfaust
lvl.4
Flight distance : 734938 ft

GQ. Posted at 2016-4-5 21:43
In my case this is what I use for immersion with my iPad Mini 4. It is very efficient and flexible.  ...

Yes, I've had that Hoodman hood in my Amazon cart for some time (just waiting for spousal approval) It's around $85. The upper portion also folds back or comes off if it's not needed. There is also an opening to reach in and operate your tablet without letting in light. Clever, and closer to legal than wearing goggles.

I did get a pair of VR goggles ($26) recently to use with my iPhone 5s. There is an IOS app called FPV Camera and their in-purchase app called FPV Goggles that work pretty well. (You wouldn't need any app if you were using Litchi on an Android phone) I'm getting farsighted in my old age, but if I wear reading glasses it works well - if that's what you want.
2016-4-5
Use props
mjlstudios
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1540131 ft
  • >>>
United States

I use the Homido VR goggles (about $80) and Litchi app. (about $20). The homido VR has the ability to change focal length to match your eye sight. So if you are near, far or neutral sighted you can wear the goggles without your vision glasses.  
2016-4-5
Use props
evsjas
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1995479 ft
United States

I use fat shark goggles with go app. But like my iPad better.
2016-4-7
Use props
dobmatt
Second Officer
  • >>>
Canada

flormo2002@yaho Posted at 2016-4-4 19:26
I'll know soon how I'll like this setup but I purchased the new Samsung Galaxy S7 edge a couple week ...

flormo2002, please share your experience with Samsung gear as soon as possible ... Some people reports troubled performance of S6 smartphone with DJI Go app (Android version): video latency, phone gets very hot and the battery runs out quickly, but this may be not true anymore. Samsung new VR goggles looks very cool.
2016-4-7
Use props
dobmatt
Second Officer
  • >>>
Canada

evsjas Posted at 2016-4-7 21:38
I use fat shark goggles with go app. But like my iPad better.

Would you elaborate, pros and cons etc. please.
2016-4-7
Use props
evsjas
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1995479 ft
United States

dobmatt Posted at 2016-4-8 01:49
Would you elaborate, pros and cons etc. please.

The fat shark dominators do really good. I wear prescription glasses so I have inserts for the goggles.
Every time I take them off (even just to glance at my tablet) I have to refocus the goggles.
Maybe someone without prescription glasses would not have this problem. I have only used mine 4 or 5 times and just don't like to use them with my Phantom. On the other hand they are great with racing drone.
2016-4-8
Use props
connorschulte
lvl.3
Flight distance : 261033 ft
United States

I got some cheap VR goggles from Amazon the other day, they were around 30 bucks. Then I just bought an app called FPV for DJI. Which was 5 bucks plus an in-app purchase of 1.99 for FPV.
http://www.amazon.com/Headset-GE ... _detailpage_o04_s00
2016-4-8
Use props
spiderbot.sb
lvl.4
United States

Hi guys.

I'm totally new to the VR thing but I'd like to try it.  I looked at the VRBox goggles and they are certainly in my price range but on Amazon there must be like 20 versions for sale.

Would someone please either point me to the correct thread where this subject is discussed or preferably, just tell me which version of the VRBox product to purchase on Amazon?

Thanks so much.
2016-4-8
Use props
cnenow
New

United States

I use the headplay goggles. Very large screen and clear. Great for flying high and panning around. My son wears the goggles while i fly watching my iphone and line if site. Very neat experience for us. Doe require HDMI cable and module HDMI module from dji
2016-4-8
Use props
Kneepuck
lvl.4
United States

spiderbot.sb Posted at 2016-4-8 07:41
Hi guys.

I'm totally new to the VR thing but I'd like to try it.  I looked at the VRBox goggles and ...

You just need one that your phone will fit in.  Check the dimensions of phone against the VRbox goggles.
2016-4-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules