Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
S1000+ broken screw on first assembly
1876 29 2016-4-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
adam
lvl.2
United States

[size=13.3333px]In assembling the S1000+ for the first time yesterday a screw broke off in one of the motor power brackets, and now the broken part of the screw is stuck inside the bracket. This happened after using the tightening tool. All the other connections tightened just fine using the tightening tool, but this one kept on turning until the screw broke off. Of course it had to be one of the red labeled motors brackets as well. Stinking screw.

[size=13.3333px]If I can find a way to back that screw out that broke off then I'd be fine. I know there are extractors but are there any concerns with doing that in this part of the board by myself? Also is there the option of using some type of locktite instead?

Contacted DJI, they started a ticket and want me to send it back. I'd rather not have to do that since it will keep me out of the air (all over a single screw.)

Any help would be much appreciated!!!!!

a wide view

a wide view

close up

close up
2016-4-5
Use props
flaviomjr
lvl.4
Canada

oh boy this sucks! Did you put locktite to the screw before putting it in?  This is a tricky situation, I personally have never heard of a screw breaking on these but I guess anything is possible. If you put locktite on the screw, I would say forget it and send it back to DJI, but if you didn't you could try an extractor but I highly doubt that it will work.  And actually I think you will end up doing more damage to that hole than good.   I know it sucks having to send it in to dji but if you damage that more, it will end up costing you an arm and a leg to get it fixed and you will still be without aircraft.

2016-4-5
Use props
adam
lvl.2
United States

flaviomjr@vtolx Posted at 2016-4-5 22:16
oh boy this sucks! Did you put locktite to the screw before putting it in?  This is a tricky situati ...

Yeah your not kidding, a broken screw keeps me on the ground. No loctite was used. What sucks is that the allen seemed to tighten these just fine on initial tightening but then the video said to use the tool to tighten even more. You may be right in that I guess I could damage the board further.
2016-4-5
Use props
dennismurry08
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5948264 ft
  • >>>

adam@adamsteadi Posted at 2016-4-5 22:43
Yeah your not kidding, a broken screw keeps me on the ground. No loctite was used. What sucks is t ...

I think this depends on how brave you feel...you can use an extractor but you'd have to drill a small hole in that bolt...the bolt isn't that hard of metal and you don't have much room to work. If I was going to try, I would first try to use a small punch ...one of those with a sharp nose...lightly tap in the middle of the bolt to get a little "dent"..you'd do this so if you're going to use a drill bit it doesn't walk and mess up the threads..then use a really small bit first just to get it going and then size up to what ever size your extractor is. I'd recommend that you NOT drink any coffee beforehand....OR you can send it to DJI... flaviomjr makes a good point about causing further damage....Good Luck!
2016-4-5
Use props
dennismurry08
lvl.4
  • >>>

I just noticed...it may be an optical illusion but do those bolts have a flat side to them? The bolt on the left doesn't look like it...it looks round...???
2016-4-5
Use props
adam
lvl.2
United States

dennismurry08@c Posted at 2016-4-5 23:31
I think this depends on how brave you feel...you can use an extractor but you'd have to drill a sma ...

Thanks guys for all the info! Off to Home Depot I go for an extractor.
2016-4-5
Use props
adam
lvl.2
United States

dennismurry08@c Posted at 2016-4-5 23:41
I just noticed...it may be an optical illusion but do those bolts have a flat side to them? The bolt ...

not sure i follow you or understand where your headed. the very top of the bolt (the head) is flat. The head is a rounded off square, but only rounded off on the sides of it.
2016-4-5
Use props
flaviomjr
lvl.4
Canada

adam@adamsteadi Posted at 2016-4-5 11:44

Good luck man, I hope you are able to fix without having to send it in.   Let us know
2016-4-5
Use props
dennismurry08
lvl.4
  • >>>

adam@adamsteadi Posted at 2016-4-6 00:56
not sure i follow you or understand where your headed. the very top of the bolt (the head) is flat ...

It just might be the picture...it looked like the top of the other bolts were round...should have kind of like 2 flat sides..if that makes any sense
2016-4-5
Use props
DJI-Adela
DJI team

Hong Kong

Sorry about the problem!
To avoid any further damage, I would still suggest returning it for a professional repair.
2016-4-6
Use props
dennismurry08
lvl.4
  • >>>

adam@adamsteadi Posted at 2016-4-5 23:44

Sooo...waiting...how did it go??
2016-4-6
Use props
adam
lvl.2
United States

dennismurry08@c Posted at 2016-4-6 23:27
Sooo...waiting...how did it go??

Its going back. Home Depot didn't have a small enough extractor and I don't have time to look any more for one. Even if I found one I'm sure my luck with this unit it still wouldn't come out.
Back to its home it goes for hopefully its last visit!
2016-4-8
Use props
dennismurry08
lvl.4
  • >>>

adam@adamsteadi Posted at 2016-4-8 23:35
Its going back. Home Depot didn't have a small enough extractor and I don't have time to look any  ...

Painful but could be the best decision...
2016-4-8
Use props
flaviomjr
lvl.4
Canada

I think that is the best decision too .  Just not worth the risk.
2016-4-11
Use props
adam
lvl.2
United States

So everything is back but they didn't send another screw. Come on DJI, come on.
Does anyone know if there is an issue with just using a different type of screw for the leads from the motor power brackets?On the left is the original, on the right is the one I picked up from ACE hardware. This is getting to be rediculous.
It seems the larger these companies get the harder they make things for you.

screws

screws

2016-4-30
Use props
dennismurry08
lvl.4
  • >>>

adam@adamsteadi Posted at 2016-5-1 05:59
Does anyone know if  ...

Adam...I think I saw somewhere on the forum that somebody fried their connection with a home depot type screw...do a search....did they get the broken bolt out? Edit: Heres the link: http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?m ... D308%26typeid%3D308
2016-5-1
Use props
adam
lvl.2
United States

dennismurry08@c Posted at 2016-5-2 03:32
Adam...I think I saw somewhere on the forum that somebody fried their connection with a home depot  ...

Thanks for the reply Dennis. I will again take the safe bet and wait for the screw to arrive.
2016-5-3
Use props
DJI-Adela
DJI team

Hong Kong

adam@adamsteadi Posted at 2016-5-1 05:59
Does anyone know if  ...

Sorry about the missing screw!
We would definitely try to avoid this kind of issue in the future.
Thanks for your understanding!
2016-5-4
Use props
adam
lvl.2
United States

An update on this. I called DJI today after 6 days of waiting for the screw to arrive. Should I be surprised.... IT HAS NOT SHIPPED YET!!!!!!!! The guy on the phone tells me that it needed to go through a process with management for them to get the go ahead to ship the screw and that it SHOULD be in the mail tomorrow. Ridiculous folks. We spend thousands upon thousands of dollars on this equipment that is supposed to stand up in the field. Heck, I haven't even gotten this bird off the ground yet.

All I need is 1 pathetic screw! And they have to wait an entire week to ship one. I AM FURIOUS!

I NEED TO KNOW. Can anyone out there tell me if this is par for the course?

I work in the TV and Film industry. When something goes down, you need to have reliable companies backing their products and providing support fast. This is not the case here.
2016-5-9
Use props
dennismurry08
lvl.4
  • >>>

adam@adamsteadi Posted at 2016-5-10 08:26
An update on this. I called DJI today after 6 days of waiting for the screw to arrive. Should I be s ...

I dont know of anyone who got something within a coouple days or a few days for that matter....I'm having an issue with a left landing gear assembly right now that started 2 months ago... But, I know its painful, their support has been getting better...just not what a professional company needs though...I actually keep an eye out and stock up on spare parts here and there...its  the only sure way.
2016-5-9
Use props
adam
lvl.2
United States

WOW, THEY SENT THE WRONG PACK OF SCREWS!!! GOD HAVE MERCY IM GOING TO HAVE A BREAKDOWN HERE. ONE PATHETIC SCREW!
2016-5-19
Use props
dennismurry08
lvl.4
  • >>>

adam@adamsteadi Posted at 2016-5-20 00:21
WOW, THEY SENT THE WRONG PACK OF SCREWS!!! GOD HAVE MERCY IM GOING TO HAVE A BREAKDOWN HERE. ONE PAT ...

Oh my.....
2016-5-19
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

adam@adamsteadi Posted at 2016-5-20 00:21
WOW, THEY SENT THE WRONG PACK OF SCREWS!!! GOD HAVE MERCY IM GOING TO HAVE A BREAKDOWN HERE. ONE PAT ...

I'm sorry you are having difficulties. If you remove a screw from another terminal will that one tighten down in the original hole?
2016-5-19
Use props
adam
lvl.2
United States

Ken, I don't understand your question. I just checked and yes another screw goes in just fine. But your question has nothing to do with the problem. Even though I asked yesterday to have this expedited; I have the feeling DJI will then again take an entire week to "AUTHORIZE" a single screw be sent out.

The board was sent back without a replacement screw. They extracted the broken screw just fine. I have been told by numerous people to only use the DJI specific screw (which makes sense to me, this is the motor bracket connection for the positive and/or negative connections we are talking about here, what I would consider one of the most important screws in the unit). Then DJI not only sent the board back without a screw, you guys took a whole week to "AUTHORIZE" one pathetic screw to be sent to me. THEN YOU SEND A WHOLE PACK OF NEW SCREWS IN WHICH NOT A SINGLE PACK HAD THE SQUARE HEAD SCREW I NEEDED!!!!!!! Not only did you guys perform the proper work in extracting the screw out of the motor bracket, but I also uploaded a picture of the screw that I needed next to the board connection for the motor, so why was the proper screw not sent? In addition to all of this information it appears to me DJI needs to refine their RMA system. If you are not able to go back in to the records to see the work that was performed what use is having an RMA on file? They also asked me again for my serial number. All of this makes me wonder how much confidence I should have in the company as well as the unit I have spent a fortune putting together.

I'm not flying this bird for fun. This is part of my job and as long as it is on the ground I am not making any money.

Adam Smith
adamsteadi.com
2016-5-20
Use props
adam
lvl.2
United States

DOES ANYONE KNOW WHERE I CAN BUY THE MOTOR BRACKET SCREW (IT HAS A SQUARE HEAD)?
I HAVE BEEN TOLD IT CANNOT BE PURCHASED.

Here we are about 2 months later and no screw from DJI.
DJI sent a UPS envelope 5/25 that had a tear and hole in it (looks like an employee opened the envelope because they thought they sent the wrong screw)
I call them that day to have another screw sent. Nothing for a week. I call today to see if the screw has been sent yet; and they want evidence of photos of the tampered package!!!
I was on this call for 20 minutes today. Who in their right minds thinks we have time to waste like this over a single screw?
Everyone that talks drones with me will hear this story. I can't imagine the other people out there that have bigger problems than this, how is DJI handling those cases?
2016-6-3
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>

adam@adamsteadi Posted at 2016-6-4 01:31
DOES ANYONE KNOW WHERE I CAN BUY THE MOTOR BRACKET SCREW (IT HAS A SQUARE HEAD)?
I HAVE BEEN TOLD IT ...

Adam, first off they did not send you one screw, they were kind enough to send you the entire screw set for the aircraft.
So saying that "everyone that talks drones with you will hear this story" really was not a good comment when they tried to help you.
I believe you are getting another package
2016-6-3
Use props
adam
lvl.2
United States

Ken,

I am now willing to buy the screw if that makes it any easier on DJI. But I have no clue where to find it. You provided ZERO help Ken with any of your postings here. Not a single packet contained the screw I needed so how is that helpful?
DJI tried to send me the proper type of screw twice now, the first time they didn't even send a replacement screw at all, and the last time I called they didn't even attempt to send another screw. In fact they accused ME OF TAMPERING WITH THE SHIPMENT!!!!!!!!! They asked me to take photos of the UPS packet!!!!! Total inadequacy on DJI's part. Again we are talking about ONE SCREW!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AND YES EVERYONE WILL HEAR THIS STORY THAT I AM IN CONTACT WITH IN THE FILM AND TV INDUSTRY. SADLY THE COMPETITION TO DJI IS A LOT SMALLER SO AS OF NOW THERE IS NOT A LOT OF ALTERNATIVE CHOICES. ONE WOULD THINK THE LARGER COMPANY (DJI) WOULD SUPPLY MORE HELP. This last post from DJI-Ken proves otherwise.

THIS DRONE IS NOT A HOBBY FOR ME, INSTEAD OF FLYING AND TAKING BEAUTIFUL IMAGES FOR FILMS AND HIGH END COMMERCIALS, IT HAS BEEN SITTING ON MY DINING ROOM TABLE FOR 2 MONTHS NOW WAITING FOR A REPLACEMENT SCREW.
THANKS KEN FOR NOT HELPING AT ALL. I WILL ASK AGAIN....IF ANYONE OUT THERE KNOWS WHERE I CAN BUY THE SCREWS (THE SQUARE HEAD TYPE) PLEASE TELL ME; BECAUSE DJI HAS NO CLUE!

Adam Smith
adamsteadi.com

s1000+ been sitting for 2 months

s1000+ been sitting for 2 months

the square head i need

the square head i need

packet of screws sent didn;t have what i needed

packet of screws sent didn;t have what i needed
2016-6-5
Use props
Puralist
lvl.2
United States

If you need to get your bird back in the air, I would look for a replacement screw here:   http://www.mcmaster.com/#screws/=12q4dns. The issue with the other bird overheating the contacts was most likely due to the screw being loose.
2016-6-5
Use props
adam
lvl.2
United States

Thanks for the address Puralist, but I'm not sure I can replace it with a different type of screw with any confidence. I have been told to only use DJI screws specifically by several people. I'm not sure I want to risk it. I haven't even got it off the ground yet!! Even if I was looking for another type screw I'm not sure of the size or thread count because I cannot find it in any of the manuals or even a Google search. Can someone help me identify the square head screw with the picture I posted above? I'd like to specifically purchase the DJI screw pack that I need. I suppose I could go to Home Depot to identify the thread count and length, but again I am getting mixed messages here.
2016-6-5
Use props
Puralist
lvl.2
United States

adam@adamsteadi Posted at 2016-6-5 18:09
Thanks for the address Puralist, but I'm not sure I can replace it with a different type of screw wi ...

I would ask DJI what the specs on the screw are, that should help with identifying it. I'm sure it is most likely metric thread, home depot probably won't be much help. If you can take off one of the screws and take a pic of it, there are a lot of machine screw manufacturers that might be able to help you identify it. The only issue I could see with using a different screw is that it may loosen over time, maybe DJI could at least explain why the screw was designed the way it was, might be helpful in finding a replacement.
2016-6-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules