Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Phantom 3 Pro High Wind Test
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Phrogz
lvl.1
United States

Today I took my phantom pro 3 to an open field in heavy and gusty wind and tested it out. The results surprised me. Very good.

Wind (based on an airport less than a mile away) was between 20 and 30mph, with gusts at the time up to 40mph. Copter was still able to keep its GPS-locked station really well, and the gimbal gave ridiculously stable video. I was still able to maneuver, though not very fast up wind. I don't remember if I was at max forward speed when I turned towards the mountains and moved, but I was close to max speed if not exactly on it.

2016-4-5
Use props
phinchman
lvl.3
Flight distance : 120994 ft
United States

Had mine down on the California north coast this past weekend - pretty windy - flew and maneuvered great, steady video too.  I was pleased.
2016-4-5
Use props
DJI-Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft
Hong Kong

Good and interesting test
2016-4-5
Use props
AG0N-Gary
Second Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

phinchman Posted at 2016-4-5 18:12
Had mine down on the California north coast this past weekend - pretty windy - flew and maneuvered g ...

What part of Norcal coast?
2016-4-5
Use props
madaerial
lvl.2
Flight distance : 512251 ft
United States

I have had great success flying in conditions that I would never have thought possible to fly.
2016-4-5
Use props
phinchman
lvl.3
Flight distance : 120994 ft
Puerto Rico

AG0N-Gary Posted at 2016-4-5 21:25
What part of Norcal coast?

I was over at Tomales Bay/Point Reyes.
2016-4-7
Use props
Bhujang
lvl.4
Flight distance : 534587 ft
United Kingdom

The video shows no sign of winds to that level; in the trees or the guys playing frisbe...
I prefer to fly under 15mph it's just no fun with stronger winds.  The p3p sure holds well with GPS.
2016-4-7
Use props
fatalPORKshank
lvl.3
Flight distance : 305289 ft
  • >>>
United States

Bhujang Posted at 2016-4-8 00:57
The video shows no sign of winds to that level; in the trees or the guys playing frisbe...
I prefer ...

look at their shorts... blowing like crazy.
2016-4-7
Use props
Bhujang
lvl.4
United Kingdom

fatalPORKshank Posted at 2016-4-7 18:56
look at their shorts... blowing like crazy.

yes it was gusty for sure I saw that later on a second watch, also some of the trees were swaying with gusts.  Not my favorite type of flying... But the p3p hold well for sure. Very good bit of kit ;)
2016-4-7
Use props
KEvans
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2170823 ft
United States

Yep it holds up great even with the guards. This was shot a couple months ago under similar conditions. Winds were around 30 mph and speed dropped to below 10 mph.
2016-4-7
Use props
FAS1
lvl.4

United States

"Wind (based on an airport less than a mile away)"

Well, so much for no fly zones (NFZ)...
2016-4-7
Use props
AG0N-Gary
Second Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

phinchman Posted at 2016-4-7 11:11
I was over at Tomales Bay/Point Reyes.

Thanks.  Raised in Eureka.
2016-4-8
Use props
Bhujang
lvl.4
United Kingdom

KEvans Posted at 2016-4-8 01:05
Yep it holds up great even with the guards. This was shot a couple months ago under similar conditio ...

seemed like no issue at all. But why do you fly with those horrible prop guards on...? I think they look awful personally and would never use them. They don't provide them when you buy the p3p for a reason ;) ha ha but joking aside if you collide the props are the least of your worries and cost pence compared to the other stuff that could get trashed
2016-4-8
Use props
hummingbird.uav
First Officer
Flight distance : 8351585 ft
  • >>>
Canada

This video was shot in 30mph winds.  Take off in an open area and the Phantom just flipped.  Had to take off downwind of one of the trucks.  Note the dust from the combines.  Flight is all downwind.

2016-4-8
Use props
Phrogz
lvl.1
United States

hummingbird.uav Posted at 2016-4-8 09:57
This video was shot in 30mph winds.  Take off in an open area and the Phantom just flipped.  Had to  ...

Very nice work!
2016-4-8
Use props
hummingbird.uav
First Officer
Flight distance : 8351585 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Thanks Phrogz.
2016-4-8
Use props
knupla2
lvl.3
Flight distance : 922 ft
United States

Just a note of caution.  Very fast shifting, high gusty winds can move the P3P quickly and unexpectedly under the right conditions.  In my case - I was just too close to a windmill and got blown into it - took all of 2 seconds and it was over.  No major damage but all four props were toast.

Generally, the P3P camera remains really stable in winds we have no business flying in.  I'm very pleased with the results I get but learned the lesson about flying in wind.  Too much wind - no flying - gusty winds [I'm in NM soo--] open areas only or I just don't fly.
2016-4-8
Use props
KEvans
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2170823 ft
United States

Bhujang Posted at 2016-4-8 21:59
seemed like no issue at all. But why do you fly with those horrible prop guards on...? I think the ...

I agree completely and took them off several weeks ago.
2016-4-8
Use props
kperkins1982
New

United States

So the problem with flying in wind is that the phantom is really good at it, except for when it isn't.

With a top speed of 35ish mph theoretically it can do 10mph in 25mph wind
The gimbal sends misleadingly smooth video back which calms you into making bad decisions

There are a few things that can happen

You are flying with the wind doing 35mph and the battery is reporting you've got tons of flight time left as it is windsurfing, then you turn around and all of a sudden it changes from 15 minutes left to 6 minutes left and you are coming back at 6mph but it took you just about 6 minutes to get there resulting in having to make some very quick decisions, and possible mistakes

You could also be flying and everything going just fine and then the wind changes or starts getting gusty and a thousand dollars of drone crashes because you just couldn't wait another day to film

I say don't do it, but if you are gonna fly in wind higher than 15mph here are some tips

Watch the horizon on the bottom left in the dji go app, if you are at a high pitch you are really fighting the wind
Set c2 to switch from follow to fpv mode and every once in a while change it so the gimbal doens't fool you into thinking its better than it is
Stay away from everything, because weird eddies form
If you are coming back and worried about battery lower the altitude
give yourself an extra buffer on the battery, normally I don't like to go under 40 percent, but I change that to higher, I've got 3 extra batteries so I can play it safe
2016-4-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules