Phantom 3 Firmware Release Note (Apr 7th,2016)
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Donnie
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3636782 ft
United States

falexander115 Posted at 2016-4-8 10:44
Upgraded P3A, RC, and DJI Go with no issues.

Falexander 115,  glad you had success.  The most common cause of failure is about 7 primary causes.

1- leaving the transmitter on during update. Do not update the aircraft on during the update ! Also do not turn on aircraft when updating  RC.  You will damage the Video board where it must be sent in for repair.  Not every time but most.  

2- Not using the correct FW .The numbers of the FW do look the same but you MUST load the correct one.  ALWAYS DOUBLE, TRIPLE CHECK

3- Using a Mac for the formatting or loading  FW.  Unless you know exatly what you are doing with a MAC use a PC to load this brand of FW.  EVEN IF YOU WORK FOR MAC USE A PC.   Just kidding ........................ make sure you have full knowledge of the MAC OS  or you may have trouble.  

4-  Not having solid Internet when uploading the FW to the RC.  Must have good WI-FI to work, NOT CELLULAR PHONE WI-FI

5. Not having full charge on Transmitter or aircraft .  The FW can not be stopped , make sure batteries are near 100% .  NO PHONE CALLS DURING THE GO APP- RC UPDATE.

6.  Premature stopping of the update.  Make sure the update is done , look for that tone change and look for a solid green light on the camera Gimabal.

7.  The standard Phantom is updated through WI-FI only. So often the standard users try to use The SD card for the update. It is Wi-Fi only for that bird.  

Glad you had success with yours, this post is for the Lurkers out there who need the advise.

cheers -donnie
2016-4-8
Use props
Phuglie
lvl.4
Flight distance : 45226 ft
United Kingdom

Donnie Posted at 2016-4-7 14:52
You must update both the Aircraft and the RC for everything to work on this particular update  ...

This is very informative - thanks. I'm about to upgrade my P3p from 1.4 now that the weather is looking better and I want to get out and fly it. I can't believe that the RC has retained it's charge since I put the 'bird' away last Autumn October/November time. I shall follow the step by step - stage by stage method as if I was updating at the actual time when the firmwares were released. I shall not do a final calibration, gimbal thingy until the last FW has been installed and the app can talk to the quad-copter. It's been a while since I've read any posts on here and have forgotten all the jargon (so it'll be like starting all over!)

Once again, thanks for your post.
2016-4-8
Use props
Donnie
Second Officer
United States

Phuglie Posted at 2016-4-8 11:10
This is very informative - thanks. I'm about to upgrade my P3p from 1.4 now that the weather is lo ...

Thanks , dont forget that you have a battery update as well.  Be sure to read my tips page as a bit of a refresher before you take the plunge.  If I were you I would jump to 1.7 and do the Battery update here, then go to 1.8.  Now if you have all the incremental updates between, brilliant, but if not just    go from 1.4 to 1.7 and then do 1.8.  I saw the MOST problems when Pilots jumped from 1.3 to 1.7. ( The only reason I think there was a problem is because I think the Pilots "thought " they were at 1.3 but were at 1.2 and therefore convoluted the update )   So I always prefer updates be done in perfect sequence , if you can't that is ok too.  Just make sure to follow what is on my tips page .

Thanks for the Kind words.

Cheers -donnie  
2016-4-8
Use props
dimitris.thass
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1140607 ft
  • >>>
Greece

Donnie Posted at 2016-4-8 18:50
Did you already update the Aircraft?    Was it a success ?  Also when you use a new  FRESH formatt ...

no i just came in , i was cutting the grass lol, i will try another drive later thanks i will keep you informed

win10pro no mac

no beep, no hidden files like a virgin brick , with the "hold down c1 c2 ......." i can download the firmware 1.6.0 via android app BUT "update fail " retry
2016-4-8
Use props
Morph1
Banned

Canada

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2016-4-8
Use props
Donnie
Second Officer
United States

Morph1 Posted at 2016-4-8 13:42
There is no longer firmware available to just download onto the card and insert the card in the cra ...

Morph , first sorry about the Inspire debacle.  You will not be crazy about that P4, I would return that and re-order the Inspire.  Maybe a local dealer in Canada carries them ?  Any how the problem the above folks are having is there upload with the SD card was fine on the aircrafat but they are having difficulty with the RC unit.  If the GO APP wont download the update  correctly or if it locks up, I figured out a way to load it with a SD card plugged into the usb port on the RC  (Thumb Drive )

Donnie
2016-4-8
Use props
Oleksiy
lvl.3
Switzerland

I could not update RC for a while, until I noticed that after reinstalling DJIGo app, I had to login with my DJI credentials again.

I logged in and the RC was updated in no time.
2016-4-8
Use props
jmesq32
lvl.1

Portugal

Fbu.com Posted at 2016-4-8 13:12
You must update both the Aircraft and the RC for everything to work on this particular update . ...

Hi can you please help , I have mine at version 1.7 should I update also update my tree battery s with version 1.8 ?

Thanks in advance

Jorge Mesquita

2016-4-8
Use props
Donnie
Second Officer
United States

jmesq32 Posted at 2016-4-8 14:13
Hi can you please help , I have mine at version 1.7 should I update also update my tree battery s  ...

Jmesq32, You already updated your batteries at 1.7 or at 1.6 correct ?  This update for the Advanced and Pro does not have a Battery update.   So to answer your Question NO , because the release notes do not say update to the batteries.  
releas notes.PNG
2016-4-8
Use props
Donnie
Second Officer
United States

Oleksiy Posted at 2016-4-8 14:11
I could not update RC for a while, until I noticed that after reinstalling DJIGo app, I had to login ...

Oleksiy, good point , thanks for bringing this up .  

Donnie
2016-4-8
Use props
Donnie
Second Officer
United States

dimitris.thass Posted at 2016-4-8 11:35
no i just came in , i was cutting the grass lol, i will try another drive later thanks i will keep  ...

dimitiris, make sure you are not pressing any buttons down with method.   just turn mine on and let it sit for a while until you hear beeping.  Make sure aircraft is off.  

Just so you understand, when you do the c1 c2 red record button and press the Wheel ISO on top right of the RC down and then you turn on the transmitter .  THIS METHOD RE- SETS THE TRANSMITTER BACK TO 1.3.  

You could then simply try to plug in the Go app to your device  and update the standard way.  Make sure you have a good internet wireless connection if you do it this way.  

Make sure the Go App is not want you to re register, that sometimes happens , I would check the go app first and make sure it is not want that.

Make sure the GO App is compatible.  WHAT are you using for the go app.  Apple devices like I pads work the best.   

Let me know - donnie
2016-4-8
Use props
parkerbohon
New

United States

Donnie Posted at 2016-4-8 10:33
I would try another Thumb drive.  I have done Many repairs with this file .  I am sorry it is not w ...

Your usb thumb drive worked for me! Thanks so much. simple solution. i did have to wait for about 2 mins for it to begin beeping and the lights to change. was about to take out usb and it started working. nivana!
2016-4-8
Use props
dimitris.thass
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1140607 ft
  • >>>
Greece

Your method was the first i try 1.05.0080 and after with the 1.06.0000, nothing no beep at start of RC not later even when i let half a hour, no pressing any buttons.
when i do the c1 c2 red record button and press the Wheel ISO on top right of the RC down and then i turn on the transmitter it download 1.6.0 but when it going to update nothing happens and after a few min "update fail"  Retry .
I have Android App i dont like Apple devices and i dont know anyone with Ipad on Iphone
2016-4-8
Use props
Donnie
Second Officer
United States

dimitris.thass Posted at 2016-4-8 15:35
Your method was the first i try 1.05.0080 and after with the 1.06.0000, nothing no beep at start of  ...

I would get another thumb drive and try again , I  know the file is good because people e mail me and like  post 132, say it works also.  Just load it again and give it some time.  The only other thing is you may have a damaged USB  port or damaged RC. ( I cant fix that, it would be Humpty   Dumpty)  
When you get the new thumb drive and load it up , do this first:  do the C1 C2 , red top left record  button, top right iso wheel push down:  With all four pressed down turn the RC on and leave on 5 seconds while still pushing  and then turn off.  This will Clear the Transmitter or at least take it back to version 1,3  :  Now load the new thumb drive  with the 1.6 file and we should have success.

Give it at least half an hour / really should work . My stats are 39 /40 success.  That makes me speculate you have a bad USB port or bad thumb drive.
I am out of Ideas after that and it will have to be sent in.  I am sorry you are having trouble  

Keep in mind I am just a forum member and dont work for DJI, I just try  and help fellow pilots I make Nothing  doing this.   Also 1.5 was am older file and since I dont work for DJI i dont feel I need to update the moment a new version comes out, I did my best to help .

donnie

2016-4-8
Use props
Johnny Danger
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2997710 ft
  • >>>

Updated aircraft first with RC off, Smoothly.  Attempted to do the second battery, I guess the firmware for that battery didn't need updated.  Didn't do anything.  Still able to control and access the aircraft using it.

Updated the RC over WIFI, with aircraft off, No issues.  All is working well here.
2016-4-8
Use props
mishko.bb
lvl.1

Serbia

All-in-One firmware version updated to:v1.8.80
DJI GO app Android version updated to: v2.7.2

Everything works properly, without errors
2016-4-8
Use props
SFGiants24
lvl.2
Flight distance : 394524 ft

United States

Help please
IOS my rc will not connect with the bird. I have 2.7.1 ap, updated rc to 1.6, but still will not connect. Every time I turn on the rc and the bird I get a message in the go app that upgrade is required. I have upgraded many times and it still will not connect. I have deleted and reinstalled the go app several times, nothing.
2016-4-8
Use props
SFGiants24
lvl.2
Flight distance : 394524 ft

United States

Sorry duplicate post

2016-4-8
Use props
Phuglie
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Well the updates seemed to go OK - the hidden LOG file says everything is correct .. tomorrow I'll put it on a perfectly flat surface and do the IMU, gimbal calibrations... etc.
2016-4-8
Use props
Donnie
Second Officer
United States

Phuglie Posted at 2016-4-8 17:19
Well the updates seemed to go OK - the hidden LOG file says everything is correct .. tomorrow I'll p ...

Wonderful , You did the batteries as well correct ?  After the IMU, be sure to do the Camera Gimabal calibration .  If you  forgot to do the batteries, just format and load the SD card with the 1.8 FW and do the batteries.  

Have fun , you look like a gal on the Internet called the "Truther Girls "  she is out of Canada and has a weekly blog ( You Tube )  on conspiracies and interesting stuff .

Cheers from over the Pond - donnie  
2016-4-8
Use props
Donnie
Second Officer
United States

Johnny Danger Posted at 2016-4-8 16:19
Updated aircraft first with RC off, Smoothly.  Attempted to do the second battery, I guess the firmw ...

Keep in mind if your batteries were updated at 1.6 or 1.7 there is no update to the batteries on the Phantom advanced or Pro Version with this update  .  Only the Inspire 1 had a battery update on this fw.

Cheers- donnie

P.S.  glad you have success !!!
2016-4-8
Use props
Donnie
Second Officer
United States

parkerbohon Posted at 2016-4-8 15:13
Your usb thumb drive worked for me! Thanks so much. simple solution. i did have to wait for about  ...

Parkerbohon, thanks for the feedback , I will add it to the post so Pilots know it may take a bit to start,  

Cheers - donnie
2016-4-8
Use props
Phuglie
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Donnie Posted at 2016-4-8 23:45
Wonderful , You did the batteries as well correct ?  After the IMU, be sure to do the Camera Gimaba ...

Hi Donnie,

Yes I did the aircraft from 1.4 - 1.5 - 1.6 then all 4 batteries - 1.7 and then 1.8. Next the RC to 1.6 - tomorrow the IMU, Gimbal, clean the lens - inside and out, familiarise myself with the app (seems so different to what I remember)...  wait for a nice day and go flying

Thanks again.  I can see a resemblance with the woman you pointed out - we're both of a certain age - I too have been known to speak my mind ;)
2016-4-8
Use props
gerzon113
New

United States

I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM AS ALL OF YOU. AFTER UPGRADE THE FIRMWARE THE RC LOST SIGNAL AFTER 10 FEET OF FLIGHT.
2016-4-8
Use props
PartsGuy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 418346 ft
United States

Donnie, I updated my P3P and RC today. I did not have the RC on during the aircraft update. It took multiple times to receive notification for the RC update. I do my P3P work in my garage and it always gives me a compass error message. As it did this time. So not thinking I moved outside and reset the RC and the P3P. The update came on and I downloaded it and installed it while standing by the aircraft which was powered on. Did I do any damage? I flew about 15 minutes after that and took short videos. Did I screw up? Could I have caused damage to the bird? It seems fine.
2016-4-8
Use props
johncjm68
New

Australia

gerzon113 Posted at 2016-4-9 07:36
I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM AS ALL OF YOU. AFTER UPGRADE THE FIRMWARE THE RC LOST SIGNAL AFTER 10 FEET O ...

Me too. Just picked up new P3A one day ago updated FW. Link is fine, signal is fine but have lost power to propellers. Devistated
2016-4-8
Use props
Henk8
New
Flight distance : 144537 ft
Netherlands

Sorry, but this doesn't work. Lost all the data instead. double bad luck
2016-4-8
Use props
eddycheah
lvl.3
Flight distance : 261660 ft
Malaysia

I have some suggestion for updating,For aircraft update use sd card(Download from DJI ),For remote controller try to use online wifi Go app update(Don't use sd card )From begining I try to use sd card updating several time for my remote controller but unsuccess. But use online wifi Go app update to solved the problem。
2016-4-8
Use props
gussam013
New

United States

You need to update the phantom and the remote . I did mine today both work fine . I updated the phantom first . then after it was all done I downloaded the update for the radio on the go app and installed . also the app needs updated too
2016-4-8
Use props
gussam013
New

United States

ops Posted at 2016-4-7 05:22
My P3 Pro has been able to upgrade, but the RC hasn't upgraded.
Now I am in the same situation as  ...

You need to update the radio also . i did mine today it works fine .  i updated my radio with the app .  also the app needs to be current

2016-4-8
Use props
gussam013
New

United States

You know when you downloaded the update it it said on the dji website to upadte the radio and the app . Read people !!!
2016-4-8
Use props
gussam013
New

United States

gussam013@gmail Posted at 2016-4-8 21:58
You know when you downloaded the update it it said on the dji website to upadte the radio and the ap ...

Mine worked fine the first try . dint rush it
2016-4-8
Use props
JockC
lvl.4
Flight distance : 459416 ft
Australia

I've had a test flight since the upgrade and all appears to be OK. I've since tried to recalibrate the RC but it never finishes (The "finish" button never becomes available). I'm using the IOS 7.5.1 app. Calibration has previously worked for me. Any ideas?

Edit. Found it!  Silly me. It's been a while since I'd done it. I had been moving the joysticks but hadn't moved the gimble wheel.  All OK now.
2016-4-8
Use props
sandmark
lvl.2

I think my RC or Bird is stuffed.
Ive been at this for days now looking at nearly every post on here ( thanks for all the help! cheers everyone)
Latest info.
Dji Phantom 3 Advanced purchased in Feb 2016.
I have a iPad Air 2 running 9.3.1 just the Dji Go app ( wifi on, Bluetooth off)
The bird finally gave me a successful update of 1.8.8
Deleted and reinstalled the Go app multiple times.
App on Ipad wont connect to the RC. It comes up with the (page how to connect)
with the RC , Bird and Go app on the c1 button does nothing ( remote wont talk to the bird)

I then shut everything off
Turned on the RC and the bird
Plugged in my Android Sony phone (its on the list also)
started the Go app on it and it came up with the camera button option.
I pressed the camera option and I have the black/dark grey screen with all the menu options.
At this point before the update of the RC I could hit the c1 button and control the camera gimbal straight down and forward etc  (full control of the Bird just no camera view on the screen)
At the same time it said I need a firmware update (whoo hoo. Finally)
Updated the RC through the Go app to version 1.6.0 successfully.
Shut every thing down and restarted the RC then the Bird and then launched the app.
Everything works except the live camera feed on screen which has been intermittent from day one.
When on the menu (about) option It displays:
app version 2.7.2
Version (aircraft) 1.8.80
RC 1.6.0
The funny thing is I just started it on the sony to triple check the firmware versions on screen and stuff me the camera feed is working again!!!! WTF
Shut it all down
Turn on the RC, Bird and launch the Go app on the Ipad
Comes up with the white screen connect your Aircraft ( and yes the lead is good ;) )
I think I have a very wierd problem , possibly an Intermittent video module, but that dosent explain why it half works on a sony.
I am so friggin over this.
Anyway to those that can Happy Flying I will stay tuned.

2016-4-8
Use props
melco
lvl.2
Flight distance : 423261 ft
Greece

Hi everybody.
Special thanks to Donnie and to everyone else for their contributions. Every bit of information is a great help and in this spirit I bring forth my experience.
Just like most I had problems upgrading to the new firmware.
My problem was that the aircraft refused to acknowledge and install the 1.8.80 bin file; although I was using the original micro SD card from DJI that had been formatted on the aircraft with nothing else on it!
What solved the problem; a slow format of the same micro SD card on my laptop (Windows 10). With a 'clean' SD card and the bin file on it the aircraft updated in normal fashion and consequently linked straight away to the previously updated controller (version1.6.0)  with the 2.7.2 Go App. running on Android.
Hope this helps.
2016-4-8
Use props
Flipperman
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4224925 ft
United Kingdom

All good.

For info, the aircraft upgrade took 7mins of beeping on my P3 Advanced.
2016-4-9
Use props
RJay
lvl.1

Malaysia

Restart the RC after upgrading rc firmware,
2016-4-9
Use props
Tautvilas
lvl.3
Flight distance : 145709 ft
Lithuania

standart question for those who successfully installed firmware: any new problems during flight? Vibrations? Camera positioning issues? Anything that should stop me from upgrading 1.6 to 1.8? And dji app 2.4 to 2.7?
2016-4-9
Use props
JockC
lvl.4
Flight distance : 459416 ft
Australia

Tautvilas Posted at 2016-4-9 21:14
standart question for those who successfully installed firmware: any new problems during flight? Vib ...

I had to reinstall the DJI Go app in order to get the RC update to work but, apart from that, the upgrade has been great. As posted earlier, I have tested it with DJI Go,  Vertical Studio and Litchi and all have worked flawlessly.  I haven't noticed any variations to flight  characteristics in any of the applications. I recommend the update.
2016-4-9
Use props
Tautvilas
lvl.3
Flight distance : 145709 ft
Lithuania

JockC Posted at 2016-4-9 14:36
I had to reinstall the DJI Go app in order to get the RC update to work but, apart from that, the  ...

Glad to hear that everything is great! Considering to do this upgrade. It's been a while since last update to my phantomas
2016-4-9
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules