DJI Phantom Battery: How to check if it's good or bad
12384 23 2015-1-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Humboldt710
lvl.2

United States

I just saw this video by Mic Bergsma on YouTube and it was very interesting. I haven't seen this info posted anywhere else as a way to test the battery cells. Basically hold the battery button until it flashes then it will show solid green bars for a good battery or it will show a blinking cell if it is damaged. Here is a link to Mic's video on YouTube.
http://youtu.be/-uTuDeCY1W0

P.S. One of my batteries is showing the flashing cell... Lame.

My Hanger
Phantom 2w/H3-3D gimbal & GoPro Hero3+, 600mw 5.8vtx w/VAS BB Ultra, iOSDMini, Large Skids
Phantom 2w/600tvl, 600mw 5.8vtx w/VAS BB Ultra, V2 ESC's, MultiStar 2212Motors, iOSD Mini, Custom Wood Skids & Paint
Lumenier QAV250 Carbon on 4S, Cobra 2204/1960Motors, KISS 18a ESC's, Aero Guard, CF Camera Mount, CC3D, FrSkyD4R-II, Mobius
Hubsan X4 Stock mini racer, Hubsan X4107DNon FPV(now) racer project, Taranis X9D w/external Antenna & 2200 mah lipo, Dominator V2's w/goggle mod

2015-1-13
Use props
Gerry1124
Second Officer

United States

My DJI program PT2 says I have a damaged cell in one battery.  I did the instructions in the video to the same battery and all 4 lights stay green and means it is good.  Can you explain that?
2015-1-13
Use props
Humboldt710
lvl.2

United States

I have a totally damaged battery from a crash that is definitely not good and it tells me all cells are good though? Who knows.
2015-1-13
Use props
Gunny Huntarr
lvl.2

United States

the 2 sec hold is to check the "level" of the battery.  Holding the button for 5 sec test the "life" of the battery
2015-1-13
Use props
Gerry1124
Second Officer

United States

Held the button down for 6 seconds and all 4 lights are steady green, even though I get damaged cell warning when I check it in PT2.
2015-1-13
Use props
Gunny Huntarr
lvl.2

United States

Page 9-10 of the http://download.dji-innovations.com/downloads/phantom_2_vision_plus/en/Phantom_2_Vision_Plus_User_Manual_v1.6_en.pdf

4 lights after the 5 sec hold indicated 90-100% "Life" of the battery.  Not the current "level"
The App software is really the only way to see if there is something fishy with the battery.

2015-1-13
Use props
Gerry1124
Second Officer

United States

Gunny Huntarr Posted at 2015-1-14 07:26
Page 9-10 of the http://download.dji-innovations.com/downloads/phantom_2_vision_plus/en/Phantom_2_Vi ...

Current level is 2 lights steady, half charge about 50%.,
2015-1-13
Use props
Gunny Huntarr
lvl.2

United States

Gerry1124 Posted at 2015-1-14 07:28
Current level is 2 lights steady, half charge about 50%.,

so if you got 2 solid green on "level" and 4 solid green on "life" based on what you told me.
2015-1-13
Use props
Gerry1124
Second Officer

United States

Gunny Huntarr Posted at 2015-1-14 07:31
so if you got 2 solid green on "level" and 4 solid green on "life" based on what you told me.

Right, but when I connect it to PT2, I get the message, damaged cell, do not use.  According to the video, if button is pushed for 5 seconds, the lights will flash how many cells are damaged.
2015-1-13
Use props
Jamie Hellmich
lvl.4

United States

Gerry1124 Posted at 2015-1-14 07:34
Right, but when I connect it to PT2, I get the message, damaged cell, do not use.  According to th ...

What are the voltages for each cell when you check in Assistant?
2015-1-13
Use props
Gunny Huntarr
lvl.2

United States

since it's at 50% level right?  I suggest you plug it into the charger and hold the button until it resets.  See it that will clear the error.  
2015-1-13
Use props
Gerry1124
Second Officer

United States

Here is the screenshot of the battery when connected.
fsscr240.jpg
2015-1-13
Use props
Jamie Hellmich
lvl.4

United States

Gerry1124 Posted at 2015-1-14 07:44
Here is the screenshot of the battery when connected.

The battery is almost perfectly balanced, within 0.001 volts .  That is pretty much perfect.

If it were me, I would charge the battery to full, and if it shows 12.6 volts when full or close to it, I would not hesitate to fly it.  You might try cycling it down to fully depleted and recharging to see if the message goes away.

I've been using LiPo batteries for years, and as long as they balance, they charge with no errors in my chargers, flight times are not diminished by 75% or so versus new, and they aren't swollen too bad, I use them.  I have some I've been using for 5 years with well over a hundred charges.

If you are concerned, can't get any warranty help and don't want to use it, send it to me and I'll "recycle " it for you.
2015-1-13
Use props
Gerry1124
Second Officer

United States

I've bled it down to 7% and fully recharged it,  Still get the message and when connected to the DJI APP on my tablet when everything is up and  there are 7 reports of bad battery.  The battery came with another Phantom I bought online.  Both batteries I got with it worked great.  It is at least 6 months old as I got the second Phantom in July for $500.  The owner crashed it and broke a wing.  I ordered a new shell and transferred everything to the new shell and flies perfectly.
I'm charging it again and we'll see if the error is still there and the balance of each cell.
2015-1-13
Use props
Jamie Hellmich
lvl.4

United States

10-4, good luck, Gerry.
2015-1-13
Use props
Gerry1124
Second Officer

United States

Here is the same battery after a full charge
2015-1-13
Use props
Gerry1124
Second Officer

United States

Same battery fully charged.
fsscr241.jpg
2015-1-13
Use props
Jamie Hellmich
lvl.4

United States

Well, your largest voltage imbalance at full charge is still only 0.031 volts, which I would not consider out of balance enough to trigger any error or fault.  But who knows where DJI set the imbalance amount threshold, if that is what is causing the error.  My Thunder Power LiPo/LiFe/NiCd/NiMh/Pb charger will not trigger a fault unless the imbalance is 0.2 volts or more.

Even the capacity numbers look good.

I don't know what else the software would monitor other than voltage, amperage in and out, voltage imbalance, and charge/discharge counts.  What else would they mean by "damaged", other than voltage or amperage issues?

It's nice to have these batteries built to just plug in to the aircraft cartridge style, but I would rather have a balancing charger controlling things instead of the balancer built into these battery housings.

Me? I'd probably use it.  But I wouldn't tell anyone else to.
Hey... maybe they are putting G-Force recorders in them. You say it was crashed?
2015-1-13
Use props
Gerry1124
Second Officer

United States

Jamie Hellmich Posted at 2015-1-14 09:34
Well, your largest voltage imbalance at full charge is still only 0.031 volts, which I would not con ...

I'll try it at low altitude and see what happens. There's enough snow on the ground so I can kill the motors if it starts to do stupid things.  3 feet deep now outside on the level.
2015-1-13
Use props
Jamie Hellmich
lvl.4

United States

3 feet!  Wow!  It was in the 70's today here in FL, and 63° right now.
2015-1-13
Use props
Gerry1124
Second Officer

United States

Snow on the ground in the last few days.  right now it's -8 degrees outside.
The Phantom I bought online just had 1 arm broken, bought in July and it flies perfectly.  The battery worked good until last month.
DSCN0024.JPG
january 10.jpg
2015-1-13
Use props
Gerry1124
Second Officer

United States

Snow around the area.
10373613_807568632634613_2008073912473127890_n.jpg
2015-1-13
Use props
Humboldt710
lvl.2

United States

I had another person comment on YouTube (thedjiguy) and he said to check out http://wiki.dji.com/en/index.php ... eparing_the_Battery It states that holding the power button while the battery is off for 5 seconds will show overall battery life, NOT if a cell was damaged. I also noticed that Mic Bergsma made his video private, probably because people pointed the error out to him as well.
2015-1-13
Use props
Gunny Huntarr
lvl.2

United States

You may have noticed I already posted the battery state indicators earlier in the thread

Page 9-10 of the http://download.dji-innovations.com/downloads/phantom_2_vision_plus/en/Phantom_2_Vision_Plus_User_Manual_v1.6_en.pdf

4 lights after the 5 sec hold indicated 90-100% "Life" of the battery.  Not the current "level"
The App software is really the only way to see if there is something fishy with the battery.

2015-1-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules