Taking P3 on a plane
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
C Haranzo
lvl.2
Flight distance : 369026 ft
United States

I live in the united states and I was wondering what the regulations are on drones and more specifically the batteries of the drones. I have a P3P with 2 batteries and I was wondering if I could take these batteries through security and onto the plane.
2016-4-7
Use props
stalked-buddha
Banned

United Kingdom

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2016-4-7
Use props
Drone Man
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3896588 ft
United States

I just went thru airport security here in ABQ 20 minutes ago, they scanned my drone bag which contained my P4 , 4 batteries, props and ipad.
They said nothing, didn't even look at me...total non issue.
2016-4-7
Use props
C Haranzo
lvl.2
United States

Drone Man Posted at 2016-4-7 17:08
I just went thru airport security here in ABQ 20 minutes ago, they scanned my drone bag which contai ...

thanks a lot. Appreciate it. safe flying
2016-4-7
Use props
C Haranzo
lvl.2
United States

stalked-buddha Posted at 2016-4-7 17:05
If  the rules are similar to those in the uk spares are fine tp take into the cabon but sugest a few ...

After doing a little bit of research it looks like that may be true here in the United States as well. Thanks!
2016-4-7
Use props
Gabe R
lvl.4

Drone Man Posted at 2016-4-8 05:08
I just went thru airport security here in ABQ 20 minutes ago, they scanned my drone bag which contai ...

I flew from Baltimore to houston back in the fall flying united. Same thing happened to me, not a single question about it.
2016-4-7
Use props
jrm11
lvl.3
Flight distance : 224577 ft
United States

Some good information here:

http://travel.stackexchange.com/ ... commercial-airlines

All info seems to indicate that batteries should NOT be checked baggage. Carry-on is your only option.

Be aware that when traveling with a Phantom your bigger problem may to be the size of the case. Airlines regularly enforce the carry-on size rule. If you have a case that exceeds the size limit, you will need to check the case (making sure to remove your batteries and place them in a carry-on bag).

Also check the TSA website and airline website for specific policies.
2016-4-7
Use props
nicolas.w.roth
lvl.2
Flight distance : 28556 ft
Switzerland

jrm11 Posted at 2016-4-8 04:57
Some good information here:

http://travel.stackexchange.com/questions/58057/are-lipo-batteries-allo ...

hello,

i am just coming back from a trip to Laos and Thailand from Europe.

I flew with Swiss, Bangkok Airways, Lao Airlines and Thai Airways with the P3A in a backback (Dakine Sequence 33L) with 2 batteries in the bag. I took my bag as a carry on luggage on all flights and encountered zero issues. Nobody questionned the content of my bag after the x-ray scanning so I would tend to say that there is no problem.

On the other hand, I lost several lighters and bottles of water......

cheers
Nicolas
2016-4-8
Use props
buzzcbr
lvl.4
Flight distance : 316545 ft
United Kingdom

I have taken mine on several long and short haul flights doing nothing to cover the batteries, they were all fully charged - no problems with any air carrier.
2016-4-8
Use props
Oleksiy
lvl.3
Switzerland

Some more info at the thread: travel with my phantom 3
http://forum.dji.com/thread-44622-1-1.html
2016-4-8
Use props
terrylewis
First Officer
Flight distance : 3517287 ft
  • >>>
United States

As stated, US TSA has no issues with DJI batteries when travel requirements are followed.

The TSA has consolidated their battery information At this US DOT Hazardous Materials link.

Our DJI batteries can be carried in Carry-on Baggage, but CAN'T be placed in Checked Baggage!

Our batteries mostly fall within the "Spare Lithium-Ion Battery", not installed in a device (up to 100 watt-hours):

P3 battery ->  68 wH
P4 battery -> 81.3 wH
Inspire TB47 -> 99.9 wH

Observe the link's "How do I protect my batteries". Battery slot in the DJI backpacks meet this requirement. Do not seat a battery into the aircraft during travel.

The Inspire TB48 has 129.96 wH and is limited to only two spare batteries in carry-on baggage.

Here's an older TSA blog: http://blog.tsa.gov/2013/06/trav ... safely-packing.html
2016-4-8
Use props
Oleksiy
lvl.3
Switzerland

terrylewis Posted at 2016-4-8 17:26
As stated, US TSA has no issues with DJI batteries when travel requirements are followed.

The TSA h ...

I read at a non-English forum that airport security did not like propellers, because they are kind of sharp. So I put propellers in my checked baggage.

I had no problems whatsoever with my P3A in the DJI hardshell backpack flying in Europe (Switzerland & Ukraine) earlier this year. The three batteries were also in the hardshell backpack.

I discharge batteries usually to about 30-40% before air travel for safety.

2016-4-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules