98115 49 2016-4-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djordan2
Second Officer
Flight distance : 79291 ft
United States

Landbo Posted at 2017-8-10 08:05
An old wise man once said. Never fly in stronger winds than you can manually fly your vessel home in ATTI mode without GPS !!!   

Regards Leif.

I absolutely agree with this statement.  Practice flying manually.  It's a different ball game all together.  As far as wind speed is concerned. I've flown in winds up to around 30 MPH. I have a couple of videos on YouTube demonstrated the handling characteristics.
2017-8-23
Use props
rwcreigh
lvl.4
Flight distance : 111818 ft

United States

thats a good question, as a new owner i was going to ask the same question
2017-8-23
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Also, forecast speed is for 10m, the higher you go, the speed can increase :
2017-10-25
Use props
Aerial-Image
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1452408 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

You can check just how windy it is when your at height is to switch to ATTI mode for a few seconds when your stationed in a hover and see how far and the direction it drifts and make a mental note. FYI
2017-10-25
Use props
Churubusco
lvl.4
Flight distance : 36 ft

United States

I read about many unfortunate fly aways on this forum. I am very strict and conservative about flight conditions prior to flight. I won't fly over 14 mph. Maybe I am lucky not to have had an incident in the last year or maybe it is due to sticking to my threshold. My money is not flying above 14 mph
2017-10-25
Use props
djilover10
lvl.2
Flight distance : 63225 ft
United States

Labroides Posted at 2017-8-22 17:20
Your Phantom won't even notice 8mph.
It can handle much stronger winds than that.
You just have to be careful what you do in strong winds with landing and takeoff and not fly off a great distance downwind.

I have been in very strong wind. So damn hard to land.
2017-12-24
Use props
Changj
New
United States

My PS3 was blown away 2 days ago; it went so far away that I couldn't even see it. Fortunately, RTH brought it back without any damage. I checked the weather history, it was 12 mph wind speed, max wind speed of 18 mph, and wind gust of 26 mph.

It was a horror show trying to maneuver between trees, electric poles, wires, and try not to hit the house. Learned my lesson here.
2018-1-2
Use props
Ed Schirra
New

United Kingdom

Been flying for 3 years now. Professionally. I have experienced 3 things. All of them vital to safety but all with drone recovery. Most were in Atti mode.

1. Trees. If a wind factor is causing a drone to drift away then trees can lose it forever. If you are coming in low and heading towards a forest or woods area, my advice is to get under the drone and use the power cut function and catch it. If you don't feel confident catching it then power cut it over soft grass, gorse or heather or any other soft landing area. The alternative is a tree hit and a tumble down, hitting extended branches and twigs. Worse case: It gets stuck too high to get it down.  (I was lucky when I hit an oak. I lost a blade but it landed in long, soft grass at the base and the body came apart. Could have been worse.

2.   Gusts. Unpredictable surges will mean total loss of control because each time you power the drone back to safe landing area, a gust will blow it away. You can plan for a safe landing in Atti mode with a strong wind but with regular gusts up to 40-50 mph you will experience drift away. Solution? Power Cut it by getting under it as best you can. If the gusts are severe then power cut it over soft grass or wheat or something else soft or lose it by coming down in trees or over a road (drones don't get on very well with trucks) or over water.

3.   Most important. Battery time. If drifting and pushing back then much more power is being used. Whatever you do, eventually, it will power-out and come down. Use option 1 and power cut it while under it and catch.

I have experienced all three of these and on the third one I managed to get it to within a safe landing area. While power cutting isn't the ideal, at least it gives you control and brings it down to an area where you can catch it easier or bring it down away from trees, obstacles, roads or water. All potential drone death areas.

I was filming on the Jurassic Coast around the edge of Beer Cove where the needles are. If you go to where one of the needles has fallen,, stand there and look up and right. What looks like a P4 is lodged up in the grass on the (very) vertical cliff slope. Good luck if you recover it. Think you might need another friend and some strong rope. Anyone climbing down would be mad without securing themselves first.
2018-10-13
Use props
Steeven Matthews
New

Canada

What is the maximum wind capability for flyind with my dji mavic mini just receive it and damn he go away was 21km out side but i think were i was was higher
2020-4-29
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules