Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
arunmehta
lvl.4
Flight distance : 120909757 ft
  • >>>
Canada

hubertfehnker Posted at 2015-3-14 15:41
Just got the Inspire, but for no reason all over sudden it  keeps going  away by it self , very frig ...

when it does.... that take control with your sticks in atti mode until gps kicks in
2015-3-14
Use props
hubertfehnker
New

New Zealand

what is atti mode ?
2015-3-16
Use props
gixxertaylor
lvl.1

United States

Ebarronh what was the result? Did dji compensate you a new inspire one? I am on the verge of buying and would like to know the worthiness of the customer service.
2015-4-6
Use props
shanehann
lvl.1

Canada

Just found this post which is good cause I can maybe get some advise from people who have dealt with dji.  I just post the below on Facebook inspire 1 forum.  This is crazy no where in the manual it says you have to calibrate the IMU before flying or I would have done so.  I have had a phantom for 4 months before this inspire.   Any I inspire or help would be appreciated.  Thanks

Ok so my excitement of getting my new inspire 1 Thursday ended fast!! I update the firmware on the unit with the original battery and the controller all went fine!  Brought it up in the air for a test run in the backyard and everything looked great traveled 87m and landed perfect.  Decide to take it to the local park to do a little longer test around the park thinking everything would be fine until it happened.  The nightmare of anyone who owns a drone!  

The inspire one went nuts and started to go crazy just after 700meters/2:19min into the flight.  So I brought it over top of me hoping to land it and it was continuing to fly away from me in one direction to another with no control.   I continued to fight with it for over 2min more trying to land it down on the school yard field.   I was in "P-GPS" mode, but couldn't manage to lower it down smooth enough with out crashing hard.  So I then reverted finally to the auto land feature and as soon as I did that it continued out of control and flew away and crashed hard on top of the public school roof next to the park hitting the air condition unit.  It landed hard.  

Lucky it was 7:30pm and no kids where around in the school yard.  
I normally go where there is more of a open area but didn't think I would run into this issue and was only doing a quick test run.  The unit is totally smashed up as you can see in the pictures.  I still don't know what the hell happen.  The app was green and ready to fly after I calibrated it twice.  After thinking about all my steps I did do a couple of things that I'm still not sure if it was the cause or not.  That's why I'm posting this for your ideas and to warn everyone what could happen.  

BTW I thought I pushed record on the camera but I guess I didn't with everything new I must have forgot.  Before leaving I did change the battery to my spare that I didn't update the firmware on cause it was brand new and I just didn't think of it.   And I did change the SD card that had the firmware bin on it to a larger 64 gb so I would have enough space for videos. If the battery needed to be update I cannot tell now cause its smashed.   But when I think about this and when I used that second battery with out updating the firmware the app should have told me not to fly.  But it didn't and it was green saying ok to fly.  

I did talk to the supplier who I purchased it from and they use these all the time for production and he also said it should have told me on the app if the battery would require an update.  He said they follow the app too and if the app says its ok to fly then it is.    There is no way for me to know now what the firmware was on the battery since the battery is damage now.   And if it was a battery firmware issue, I'm thinking it would have just fell out of the sky or something not try and fly away.  

The last thing I wonder about is if I should have received the locking clips for the props.  During the flight it looked like all 4 props were attached,  but can't say for sure.  The pieces I got back the next day included only 1.5 props.  The other ones are either broken on the roof or elsewhere.  I know for a fact they were connect and locked before I took off cause I verified.   

The only last idea I have that could have caused this would have been interference in power lines or something.  How ever there was no power lines around and I have flown my phantom 2 there at least 3 times in the past with no issues.  

These are all the ideas I could think of as to why this fly away happened other than the firmware update that could have caused this.   Any thoughts on why this could of happened and the best way to get DJI to replace this unit immediately. I did email them not call.  They replied and gave me a ref. number and said someone will be working on my case.   That's where I am now.  Luckily the school was very relaxed over what happen thank god and nothing was damaged!!! Don't think I will be flying in that area anymore.   Pictures coming.

Thank you
Shane
2015-5-17
Use props
shanehann
lvl.1

Canada

I purchased my unit from a supplier in the Florida last Wed.  Could I not call the credit card company and get buyer protection and get a full refund and send the unit back to them unless they will replace it?  Anyone else know anything about this idea?
2015-5-17
Use props
borisgon
lvl.1
Flight distance : 92326 ft
Chile

shanehann@gmail Posted at 2015-5-18 04:53
I purchased my unit from a supplier in the Florida last Wed.  Could I not call the credit card compa ...

This is my case:
2015-5-23
Use props
sbtripp
New

Canada

ebarronh@aol.co Posted at 2015-1-14 11:09
Completely agree with you. Try to fly safe until we get official news from DJI on how to avoid thi ...

I put latest firmware on my Aspire and had a serious flyaway..it seemed fine and smooth at 50 ft. but then started up and it went crazy going where ever it wanted and climbing like crazy...I fought it for a couple of minutes to get it back over me so I could cut motors and crash it but just couldn't get it close enough or low enough. Then it just headed north out of sight and was quite low and I pushed RTH and got voice confirm. It was gone for a long time. I had gone looking to north with remote for 1/4 miles or more but never expected to see it again. Went back home turned off remote and went out on segway in subdivision to east asking some kids and they said they had seen it a minute ago very high going towards my home according to where they pointed. I started searching homes both sides and found it crashed about maybe 200 feet from start point and everything is on video. This f-----ing thing went miles over people, homes, highways and a lake smooth as silk with amazing video and appeared to come back to exact spot of takeoff but when lowered down went crazy again over my home and then video quit and I assume it crashed seconds later( probably battery dead) (was a 5700 battery so lasted longer) I've flown many times from my yard but this was after new firmware...all DJI says is thats unfortunate have to return it for repairs. Meanwhile I'm in eastern Canada and already bought a Phantom 3 that failed at about 1 hour old( internal failure and DJI said not fixable..return)( solid red lights on full time) so thats when I bought the inspire because was ticked about not having copter after waiting for a month for 3.  I have not flown since the Aspire and repaired temp. the fractured carbon fiber looking tube R.F.    Didn't even break a blade but battery was out on ground 5 feet from bird..will I ever have guts to fly it or any again thinking what could have happened....maybe now that hearing others have had these experiences and maybe a fix.............
2015-7-5
Use props
wsalhab
New

United Kingdom

after updating my RC correctly I took the inspire 1 for a test flight. I felt it was unstable. I turned and brought it back 50 meters from me I tried to stop it, it would not respond and just kept on flying ended up hitting the building behind me. I did not record the flight but my dealer made a video explaining what happened from the log files link below still Dji kept saying it is a pilot Error. disappointing I have to pay hundreds of pounds now to fix it. more worrying I could have killed some one. no confidence in the machine again.

2015-9-15
Use props
frank320
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1440459 ft
Singapore

wsalhab Posted at 2015-9-15 21:17
after updating my RC correctly I took the inspire 1 for a test flight. I felt it was unstable. I tur ...

Sorry for your crash. But i have to agree that it looks like pilot error. You went full forward stick/speed, hit 17m/s, let go of the sticks, and the inspire proceeded to slow to 10m/s and crash into the building. In my opinion, your Inspire behaved as it should and crashed into the building. You only let go of the full forward stick when the Inspire was around 25m from the  building. In short, the Inspire had 1.5s to stop from 17m/s in less than 25m - it ain't gonna happen. It was going to crash because of your last full stick controller input.

Did you expect the Inspire to go from 17m/s to full stop instantaneously on a dime?

2015-9-15
Use props
wsalhab
New

United Kingdom

frank320 Posted at 2015-9-15 15:19
Sorry for your crash. But i have to agree that it looks like pilot error. You went full forward sti ...

that is not the case at  all. you could see 50m from the building I take my hand  of the stick. the Inspire normally stops completely or slows down but  it does not, so what do I do next the inspire is now 20m closer  I tried to stop it with RC but no effect at all. sorry I am an experienced flyer
2015-9-15
Use props
wsalhab
New

United Kingdom

wsalhab Posted at 2015-9-15 16:08
that is not the case at  all. you could see 50m from the building I take my hand  of the stick. th ...

plus if it was not for the building it would have  just carried on
2015-9-15
Use props
frank320
lvl.3
Singapore

wsalhab Posted at 2015-9-15 23:08
that is not the case at  all. you could see 50m from the building I take my hand  of the stick. th ...

Not true. Check out the video you posted above, right at the 15 second mark.
Full forward throttle, Distance: 18.8m and probably about 35m from the building. In short, only 2 seconds before impact did you then let go on the full forward stick with Inspire going full speed towards building at 16m/s.

Replay your video - 15 second mark. Your dealer replayed that same segment also.

Additionally, check out your own video at the 45 second mark just before impact - the inspire had slowed after you released the full forward stick from 16m/s to about 10m/s before impact. Your inspire did all it could to slow down and stop, but it was never going to be able to stop from a speed of 16m/s, in less than 2 seconds within 35m. Simple math and physics.

Sorry, it is pilot error.

Question you have to ask yourself, since you mentioned you are an experienced RC pilot, is: What were you thinking going full forward speed(16+m/s or 60kmh) towards a building 35m or so away, at a height of 4m and then just letting go of the sticks???

Further, an experienced RC pilot, knowing he has just made this mistake, would have pulled pitch back full(right stick) and full throttle(left stick), to give it full reverse thrust, instead of just letting go of both sticks and letting the aircraft drift(auto brake in Inspire's case) towards the building. There was none of those recovery stick inputs in your video above, although none of that would have mattered in this case anyways, unless your inspire could defy the laws of physics, the crash was going to happen.
2015-9-15
Use props
wsalhab
New

United Kingdom

frank320 Posted at 2015-9-15 16:31
Not true. Check out the video you posted above, right at the 15 second mark.
Full forward throttle ...

You must work for Dji frank320. I am experienced and I did the right thing. You are trying to imply that I made an error flying at that  speed towards the building. There was enough space to stop the craft easily. If you look at the turn before,  I was going at the same speed and I managed to turn with in few meters. For your information if you take your hand of the RC the inspire stops vert fast like pulling the breaks. I did this with plenty of room. The craft does react at all. Any Inspire owner knows this. Any one reading this post can go and do the experiment. Fly it and then stop by taking your hand of the controller and see how fast it stops. I am disaointed by the tactics DJI are employing. They could have just owned up and fixed it. They should not release a craft that could hurt some one with bugs in the software.
2015-9-15
Use props
wsalhab
New

United Kingdom

wsalhab Posted at 2015-9-16 07:11
You must work for Dji frank320. I am experienced and I did the right thing. You are trying to impl ...

Plus if you watch the video properly you see that I take my hand of the RC at 48m away from the building. The craft does not  react at all. The craft travels at least 10m with out reacting. I put back word control the  the craft does not react. I then just move the controls to try and get a reaction but nothing. If you watch the craft properly it does not react at all to anything I am doing on the RC. This is a  craft that supposed To react very fast to any command. Other wise who do you trust it ?  I am experienced flyer and a film maker. Millions of views all over social media. You can just google my name. I flown the inspire 1 all over the place. Over sea cliffs bad weather. I know how it should react. This was a fault on top of that I have witnesses.
2015-9-15
Use props
chris.green.ima
lvl.2
Flight distance : 13901 ft
  • >>>
United States

I agree with you wsalhab.  The inspire should have stopped on its own when you centered the sticks.  Plenty of space to do this.   And NO giving full left stick up is not the same as full throttle on a manually controlled craft frank.  
2015-9-15
Use props
frank320
lvl.3
Singapore

wsalhab Posted at 2015-9-16 14:11
You must work for Dji frank320. I am experienced and I did the right thing. You are trying to impl ...

No, i don't work for DJI. As a matter of fact, if you read a couple of my posts prior to this thread, you will see that I am extremely critical of the way DJI handled its X5/R release, specifically, the lack of details and the potential aircraft difference between Inspire X3 upgraded to X5/R versus the Inspire PRO X5. I even suggested existing Inspire X3 owners who ordered their X5 upgrade kit to cancel their orders and wait for more details about the "improved" Inspire PRO with X5 before committing. If anything, i am probably on their blacklist...

So having said that, i am as impartial as they come. It all boils down to this: You were flying the Inspire, full forward speed and accelerating to around 60kmh, 3.8m above ground level(AGL), straight towards a building 35-50m away, and just let go of the control sticks, and expected the Inspire to screech to a halt in less than 45m, within a time frame of less than 3 seconds. The crash was inevitable!

Another factor that was in play, that i originally did not want to bring up, for fear of further confusing folks, is that you were flying the Inspire 3.8m AGL at 60kmh and wanted it to stop rapidly. At that speed and so low to the ground, the Inspire was bound to get into VRS, which will also vastly reduce its braking/lift capability. At 3.8m AGL, your Inspire's downwash was hitting the ground, bouncing back up and getting sucked back into the props. Read this and you will see what i mean.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vortex_ring_state

Hence, my statement, if you fly the above route again with a perfectly functioning Inspire, 9 out of 10 times, you will either crash into the building or hit VRS and crash into the ground.

If you can find a drone manufacturer that will warranty above such "close-quarter stunt" flight characteristics, do let us know.

2015-9-16
Use props
frank320
lvl.3
Singapore

chris.green.ima Posted at 2015-9-16 14:30
I agree with you wsalhab.  The inspire should have stopped on its own when you centered the sticks.  ...

Chris,
I understand that. But the poster mentioned he was an experienced RC pilot. Now, i am an experienced 3D RC heli pilot for many years, and i have put myself in the above poster's situation before - flying too fast towards an immovable object. I panicked and my RC heli instincts took over and i immediately went full pitch back(mode 2 right stick), and increase throttle and pitch(left stick) to counter the expected prop wash. We saw none of that in above video. Now, which of you RC pilots here, with your aircraft speeding towards an imminent crash in front, would just let go of the sticks? I sure as hell wouldn't...

Point here is, the poster mentioned he has lost confidence in his Inspire. I think the issue here is the other way round.  Poster needs to improve his flight experience and flight awareness of his surroundings. I sure as hell wouldn't be confident handing control to the poster, who would fly a 3kg aircraft at 60kmh towards a building 35-50m away, at 4m above ground level, only to let go of the control sticks as the aircraft was charging towards the building...

Look, i know i might come across like a harda$$, but the reality is, if we choose to engage in risky flight characteristics, AND flying a 3kg aircraft at 60kmh towards a building 35-50m away, at 4m above ground level surely consitutes a risky flight profile, we have to assume reponsibility for ourselves when things don't go the way we planned. Put yourself in DJI's shoes, if they warranty this fly characteristic, what message would they be sending? They be encouraging everyone to fly their Inspire like a light-weight FPV drone, 4m AGL, at a speed of 60kmh straight towards concrete buildings. Just asking for trouble...
2015-9-16
Use props
frank320
lvl.3
Singapore

Just to prove i am not biased towards DJI... In this case(post #125), just a couple of post above, based on the video and stick input, i would venture to guess that something was indeed wrong with this Inspire, and not pilot error. Granted we do not know if this pilot had his IMU/compass calibrated properly and checked them prior to the flight.

If the logs showed that his IMU and compass values were within range during take-off and this happened, it should be covered under warranty by DJI, or at least DJI has to provide a proper response.

Why?
1) without stick inputs, the inspire flew all over the place
2) obviously incorrect v/s of -49m/s - crazy data, probably bad sensor
3) insane height variation - from +150m to -50m(does not look like its possible from the map)

in my opinion, if this pilot had done his pre-flight checks properly, and sensor values were within range, then this Inspire's behavior should not happen. Not pilot error and should be covered under warranty. Bear in mind though this post was 2 firmware updates ago, where it was known that there was some flyaway bug.
2015-9-16
Use props
wsalhab
New

United Kingdom

frank320 Posted at 2015-9-16 11:36
Just to prove i am not biased towards DJI... In this case(post #125), just a couple of post above,  ...

You are just trying to cloud the issue here frank320. The main problem here is not my flying skills. I flown a lot in that area I made a film there it is online. The issue is the inspire did not respond to commands from the RC.
2015-9-16
Use props
frank320
lvl.3
Singapore

wsalhab Posted at 2015-9-16 19:14
You are just trying to cloud the issue here frank320. The main problem here is not my flying skill ...

wsalhab,
Sorry you feel that i am trying to "cloud" the issue. I am not. Read all my above posts, because if I was trying to "cloud" the issue, i wouldn't have spent the time to write 3-4 long detailed posts, explaining the math, physics and aerodynamic properties(VRS) of why flying a 3kg Inspire, 4 meters above ground level, at a speed of 60kmh, directly at a building 40-50m ahead, then letting go of the controls, was surely going to result in a crash...the first 15 seconds of your video clearly showed you turning the Inspire and then going full forward towards the building as the aircraft build up speed to 16m/s, directly towards the building, 4m AGL. My argument is, after that point(15s into the video), it didn't matter what you did, or whether you have any more control, it was too late and destined to crash into that building.

The reason i spent so much writing and explaining this, from which i get zero benefit, is that i think this is important for everyone pilot to understand:

It is NOT ok to fly your 3kg Inspire, 4m AGL, at full speed greater than 60kmh, pointed directly towards any object, less than 50m away(i would venture to say the safe limit here should be 150m).

Consider youself lucky that it only crashed into the building and will cost you only a couple hundred pounds. If you had hurt or killed someone, with the video above, given the flight charateristics, you be charged with gross negligence, or worse.
2015-9-16
Use props
chris.green.ima
lvl.2
Flight distance : 13901 ft
  • >>>
United States

frank320 Posted at 2015-9-16 08:11
wsalhab,
Sorry you feel that i am trying to "cloud" the issue. I am not. Read all my above posts, b ...

50m is quite a distance.  My inspire would EASILY stop from full speed within that distance.  If it didn't I would send it in.   VRS affect in this case is pure hogwash at that height and speed.   The only potential positive affect from going left stick up when trying to stop the craft may have been the craft gaining altitude to go over the building but that depends on the height of the building.  In GPS mode pushing straight up on the left stick while the craft is trying to brake may actually have been detrimental as now the craft is trying to gain altitude while stealing power from the brake action.   We can debate all day as to whether this flight path was reckless but the facts point directly to an aircraft controller failure of some form.
2015-9-16
Use props
wsalhab
New

United Kingdom

chris.green.ima Posted at 2015-9-16 16:25
50m is quite a distance.  My inspire would EASILY stop from full speed within that distance.  If i ...

Thanks Chris
2015-9-16
Use props
wsalhab
New

United Kingdom

chris.green.ima Posted at 2015-9-16 16:25
50m is quite a distance.  My inspire would EASILY stop from full speed within that distance.  If i ...

Thanks Chris
2015-9-16
Use props
frank320
lvl.3
Singapore

chris.green.ima Posted at 2015-9-16 23:25

Do me a favor and view wsalhab's video again. This time focus on time frame from 31 to 33 second on the video. His inspire had slowed down from 16m/s to about 10m/s prior to this. Then about 10m before hitting the building, at time frame 32 second, he went full pitch forward for god knows what reason... and then full pitch back, basically rocking the Inspire that was still speeding forward and canceling the autobraking. As i said before, this crash is pilot error.

It's all there. video time frame 32 second.

2015-9-16
Use props
wsalhab
New

United Kingdom

frank320 Posted at 2015-9-16 17:54
Do me a favor and view wsalhab's video again. This time focus on time frame from 31 to 33 second on ...

Frank320 you definitely work for DJI. All the movements I was making on the RC controls did not have effect on the inspire at frames 30 and 31. I was moving the controls hoping to get any response from the inspire. This is my last reply to you.
2015-9-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules