Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
.MOV or MP4?
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Bhujang
lvl.4
Flight distance : 534587 ft
United Kingdom

Hi All

WHat is the best format to use for videos? Im looking for better quality rather than compression. Ive been using the .MOV file format and just noticed that YouTube only loads them up at 360 dpi saying it prefers the MP4 Container.

Any suggestions, hints, pointers much appreciated

Cheers

Bhu

2016-4-8
Use props
terrylewis
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3517287 ft
  • >>>
United States

MOV and MP4 are just containers for encoded videos and have no effect on the quality of the embedded video.
So as you noticed, the decision is your editing program or the consumer of your video like youtube or vimeo...
2016-4-8
Use props
Bhujang
lvl.4
United Kingdom

terrylewis Posted at 2016-4-8 18:24
MOV and MP4 are just containers for encoded videos and have no effect on the quality of the embedded ...

Thank you for that. OK so if YouTube is asking me for MP4 and as long as Movie Maker likes MP4 I guess MP4 is the way for me...
2016-4-8
Use props
mikeybarrkid
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Yea you will be fine with MP4. MOV works better for things like final cut and other mac based software.  But only cos apple don't seem to like supporting MP4.
2016-4-8
Use props
DJI-Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft
Hong Kong

Both mov and mp4 have same quality.So it depends on the player or editing software that you use.
2016-4-8
Use props
FAS1
lvl.4

United States

So basically, .mov is for apple and MP4 is for android?
2016-4-8
Use props
wellsi
Second Officer
Flight distance : 8330187 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

FAS1 Posted at 2016-4-9 05:12

Not quite; It's nothing to do with Android; it's the video editing and production software you choose to use.  
Apple based software likes  .MOV.  MP4 is fine for pretty much everything else and is better for uploading to You Tube.  
2016-4-9
Use props
matti
lvl.1
Flight distance : 92349 ft

Finland

FAS1 Posted at 2016-4-9 07:12

I use Final Cut Pro on OS X 10.11 and DJI P3P mov and mp4 behave just the same there. The only difference is the capture time stamp in the file: mov seems to set it to GMT (so DST has an effect) while mp4 to the local time.
2016-4-9
Use props
Bhujang
lvl.4
United Kingdom

How domyoumfindnusing final cut? Is it intuitive and straight forward or do I need a degree to work it?
2016-4-9
Use props
fuffy
lvl.1

Macao

The Youtube accepts both mov or mp4 (and AVI, WMV, MPEG, 3GP,etc ) and basicly  the video image quality depends on the codec. A little more about Youtube is when the video is uploaded to the site, YouTube will make it 16:9 or add vertical black bars (for 4:3). Well, more or less, the MP4 IS the best choice for Youtube video. But there are more and more people like using the mkv, because based on many factors, the mp4 to mkv is some kind trend for some digital guys.

2016-4-18
Use props
Drewsamm
lvl.2

China

MP4 is more universally-used, and MOV is more compatible with Mac. I think there is no "the best" but the "better".
2020-11-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules