Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Camera lens removal
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
richbeavers
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1083625 ft
United States

I have a ne P3A and have been looking at SD Filters. They say to just unscrew the lens cover off of the front of the camera and attach them (when I get them). I have tried as hard as I can to unscrew it but can't not sure I want to use channel locks on it. So how does it come off, or does it come off.
Rich
2016-4-8
Use props
MichaelJ
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

It unscrews, but is VERY tight at first. Try using a rubber jar opener to give you some grip. Also, a set of camera filter wrenches would work nicely.
2016-4-8
Use props
JtrJr-UAV Pilot
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4341 ft
United States

Rich,

Go very easy on it, the metal I'd extremely thin. Try this:

Jerry
2016-4-8
Use props
richbeavers
lvl.2
United States

Jerry, I tried the prop tightener but all I did was break it. I will have to try something else.
Rich
2016-4-8
Use props
JtrJr-UAV Pilot
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4341 ft
United States

richbeavers Posted at 2016-4-8 16:10
Jerry, I tried the prop tightener but all I did was break it. I will have to try something else.
Ric ...

Rich,

The more pressure you put on it the harder it will be to get it off. You're basically mashing the threads of the lens cover into the threads of the camera, making it next to impossible to remove. This has been an ongoing issue. There are many threads about it on this forum and others. Kids and Grandmothers can remove it, us brutal guys will destroy the camera before we get it off. I've had to do it on three P3Pro's. You may have already damaged it enough that it will be a PITA to remove now. The best I can tell you, is try to get it by the very outer edge of the lens cover. In my video, I'm just grabbing the edge of the cover. The further in you have to go the harder it's going to be to get off.

Jerry
2016-4-8
Use props
Ken R.
lvl.2
Flight distance : 212303 ft
United States

I used a rubberband, Worked like a charm. Don't squeeze!
2016-4-8
Use props
iflyrc
lvl.1

Australia

Hi Guys

I FULLY agree....DO NOT SQUEEZE while gripping.  The aluminium lens cover is extremely thin, so the harder you try to "grip" it, the more the aluminium "bites" onto the thread, and you will distort it.  I also used the motor prop tool, and very gently turned it by grabbing the front edge of the cover.  I even let the tool slip around the cover as I turned.....came off pretty easy!!

Cheers

Eddie
2016-4-9
Use props
RJay
lvl.1

Malaysia

Yes I agree, hold the lens cover gently but firmly.. turn it anticlockwise ...
2016-4-9
Use props
Bhujang
lvl.4
Flight distance : 534587 ft
United Kingdom

Mom mine is lock solid too. I have up and so didn't bother to get me any nd filters. Maybe I will try again when it's older.
2016-4-9
Use props
jyurkyandsons
lvl.2

United States

this is why I ordered a snake river push on , expensive but what you pay for is what you get.
2016-4-9
Use props
CloudCityDrones
lvl.2
Flight distance : 177106 ft
  • >>>
United States

Good Afternoon.
     Taking the lens off is quite difficult the first time. Due to the thin aluminum the harder you try to get it off the tighter it becomes. A light twist will actually get the lens off.  If you have any other questions or need any more help then feel free to give us a call or go to our website!
          I hope this helped!   
http://www.cloudcitydrones.com/
2016-4-9
Use props
davidconnolly02
lvl.2
Flight distance : 402516 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Heat the lens cover with hair dryer then use a damp cloth for grip and it should screw off
2016-4-9
Use props
sunshinejim
lvl.2

Canada

I finally took mine to a camera shop and they were able to take it off.
2016-4-9
Use props
AG0N-Gary
Second Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

A broad rubber band and a light grip that is spread evenly around the circumference should unscrew it without problem.  Do NOT try to muscle it off, and don't think this is only a problem with a DJI drone.  It is pretty common even with professional camera, except that pros learn not to tighten them more than necessary.  I still carry a couple of rubber bands with my cameras for just this purpose.
2016-4-9
Use props
richbeavers
lvl.2

Thanks everyone, I had a bowl of Wheaties and a can of Spinach and it came right off. Just kidding but it was on very tight.
2016-4-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules