How to fly with Offline map
5438 16 2016-4-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Murilo Carmello
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1562549 ft
Brazil

For people, like me, that use a tablet without internet and like to see the maps, I have here some tips of how to use the map offline

The first solution is to Share the internet from your mobile phone
For this, turn the wiffi on of the tablet and of the celular, then on an iPhone, open the Settings screen and tap “Personal Hotspot” near the top — it should be below “Cellular” and above “Carrier.” On an Android phone, open the Settings screen and look for a feature named something like “Tethering & portable hotspot” — it may be in a different place depending on your phone’s manufacturer and what version of Android you’re using. You can also use third-party tethering apps on an Android phone.

But I have read some topics of people talk about interference with the Wifi On

The second option is to have the maps off line on google maps:
Open Google Maps (while online) and search for your desired location.

Once you've found the location/area you want, the easiest way to save it for later is to go to the options menu by tapping the three lines and tapping Offline areas.

Navigate to offline areas in your menu once you've found the location you want to save.

Next, tap the plus or add symbol in the bottom right of the screen and you will prompted with a message that says "download this area?"

Drag the map inside the square box until it encompasses the area you want a map of. Pinch to zoom(putting two fingers on the display and bringing them together) to close in on the area you want. Move your fingers in the opposite way to zoom out and encompass a larger area.

Once you are happy with the map area, tap Download.
Hit download and give your map a name.
You will be prompted to name your area. Do so in the box that appears.

Once you have downloaded the map to your device, you can access it by tapping the menu icon at the top left of the main Maps page and returning to Offline areas, where you should now see your downloaded area.

You will find your saved map in Offline areas. Rename it by tapping the pencil icon at the top right.

Limitations of offline maps:  

There are some limitations to the functionality of the offline maps, mostly regarding the size of the location you’re looking for. You cannot download a map of, say, the whole of Denmark: the box you draw around the area you want has a limited size, and it's not possible to download anything that takes up more than around 1.5 GB of storage space.
Downloaded Google maps tend to require quite a lot of storage space to accommodate the detailed information they provide
For me, a map with 20km radius had 100 Mb
2016-4-10
Use props
DJI-Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft
Hong Kong

Very useful suggestions. Thanks for your sharing.
2016-4-11
Use props
dbortolli
lvl.1

I may be missing something but it doesn't seems like the offline area from Google Maps is loaded/recognized by the DJI GO app (Android). Have you been able to use that method before?
2016-4-20
Use props
ham2405
lvl.1

OK, I have the map stored. Now, how do you get Go to use that map? I have a totally blank map screen. The only thing I see on the Go screen dealing with maps is in the 'Other' menu where the map line is greyed out. It is rather dangerous to fly when one has no idea where 'home' is! It could be in the next state for all I know!

FYI, I have an android device and it was not turned off before going to the area with no wifi for it. Also, P3Standard.
2016-4-24
Use props
Murilo Carmello
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1562549 ft
Israel

dbortolli and ham2405: for me the DJI Go identifies the map "Offline," I do not need to do anything
Tonight I will check if there is any Android configuration I'm using and put here

Another suggestion is: while with the wifi, open the DJI Go the map at the location you will fly, this map will be saved in the cache DJI Go
2016-4-25
Use props
ham2405
lvl.1

I think I discovered my problem. When I was at the flying place, I didn't have GPS turned on in my tablet. I experimented here at home with this. I didn't get a blank map screen when I started Go without GPS, I got a map showing the entire north and central American continents. If I then turn GPS on, the blue dot eventually pops up on the continent view screen when GPS lock occurs. If GPS is on before starting Go, then the map comes on showing the area about 1 mile by 1/2 mile with the blue dot marking my location. It will be a few days before I can test this out at my alternate location. I'll post an update when I do the test.

BTW, this testing was done *without* my P3S being on.
2016-4-27
Use props
FatedFilmsNC
lvl.4

United States

dbortolli Posted at 2016-4-20 16:35
I may be missing something but it doesn't seems like the offline area from Google Maps is loaded/rec ...

You are correct. Before DJI Go App 2.7.1, I was able to download maps for offline use using Google Maps and they would show up in the corner during flight. Every since I downloaded 2.7.1, the maps will not appear anymore from Google Maps. I have not been able to test the Go app 2.8.0, but I will be today.
2016-4-28
Use props
FatedFilmsNC
lvl.4

United States

Murilo Carmello Posted at 2016-4-25 07:51
dbortolli and ham2405: for me the DJI Go identifies the map "Offline," I do not need to do anything

Just an FYI - it is recommended by DJI to turn OFF your WiFi on your device before flying, since the connection between the RC and the aircraft is also on the same band as that WiFi, and can cause interference in your flights/range.
2016-4-28
Use props
ham2405
lvl.1

I finally made it back out to my flying place. I refreshed the map yesterday. The result, same old *&^%. A blank map screen. WHAT THE H.... DO I NEED TO DO TO GET THE MAP FUNCTION WORKING?? (Yes I was yelling. I'm getting thoroughly PO'ed at DJI. I read the FB pages full of fly-aways, fell from the sky, can't connect and/or severely reduced RC range after updates, ad nauseum. I'm beginning to wonder if it was an expensive mistake to have purchased a DJI product.
2016-5-22
Use props
Thomas.
lvl.2
Flight distance : 81132 ft

ham2405 Posted at 2016-5-23 07:25
I finally made it back out to my flying place. I refreshed the map yesterday. The result, same old * ...

Could you solve this issue? Please let us know!
2016-6-1
Use props
Phantomski
Second Officer
Flight distance : 14869882 ft
United States

Keep in mind that working without the map is NOT a show stopper.. You will still be safe, you will still see you orientation, and you will still see your flight track... So as much as it's nice and cool, and if resolved it's convenient, it does not affect your flying or the safety of your flying....
2016-6-1
Use props
ham2405
lvl.1

Phantomski Posted at 2016-6-2 01:04
Keep in mind that working without the map is NOT a show stopper.. You will still be safe, you will s ...

When the home position is set, where is it when set? All I see is a stupid blank grid, not the map of where I am! For all I know, the bird could be setting China as home and I would not know.

I'm using a BLU studio 6.0 HD with android 5.0.2 to fly my P3S. I know Google works offline because I've driven around with it, monitoring Google maps and watching it display my position
2016-6-2
Use props
Phantomski
Second Officer
Flight distance : 14869882 ft
United States

The home point is set by GPS coordinates received by the GPS on the drone, has nothing with actual presence of the map or not. Map on the tablet is just a visualization of the gps coordinates.. so u r ok with a blank map.... You can usually also see a blue dot, that is you via GPS on the tablet.. so as long as the blue dot and the green circle are next to each other, u r good....
Now, setting your phone to a hotspot mode, at least for a few minutes as you start flying, may be smart, so this way you CAN get your initial map.....
I am very surprised that dji app does not just use google cached maps...   
Anyhow, hope the above helps you a bit to be "at ease" about setting H for China....

2016-6-3
Use props
lpfreeking976
lvl.2
Flight distance : 131224 ft

The map that first comes up is not blank, it covers pole to pole.  Pinch to zoom in about 10 times and your lcoal area saved map should show up.   Downloading the map using P4 GPS seems to produce a full map at start up.

Thanks to original  poster for posting information.
2016-6-4
Use props
ham2405
lvl.1

Reply to Phantomski: In regards to no maps, try this out. I'm going to have you go to a neighboring town to a store there you have never been to - WITHOUT A MAP. Let's see how well that works! I have places that I want to fly to and take some pictures and some of them are out of sight. Without a map, how do I find them?

Reply to lpfreeking976: There is no map! I'm getting a grid shown on a yellow background. I've seen what you describe but I'm not getting even that!

Reply to FatedFilmsNC: I didn't notice before, but WiFi MUST be on because that's how a Standard RC communicates with the display device.

Finally, I have tried 3 different android devices with 3 different android versions and the result is the same. The Go app has a problem that DJI has NOT addressed in the 2, or maybe it's 3, last android versions of the app.
2016-6-26
Use props
ham2405
lvl.1

Today I tried a 4th android device with a fourth version of the android OS. Same effing crap as with all the others. At this point, I do not believe that the DJI Go app map function has ever worked on an android device with the P3 standard! I have as yet seen anyone show me that it works.
2016-7-3
Use props
fanseb872376
lvl.1

United States

Probably doesn't make any difference here now, but I stumbled onto how to cache the map for where I'm going to fly. With my BLU studio 6.0 HD with android 5.0.2, I connect to the web here at home, launch the Go app and scroll to the area where I'll fly, staying zoomed out so about 10 square miles shows on the Go app screen. I then shut down the app but NOT the phone. When I get to the flying spot and launch Go, it has the map in place.
2017-1-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules