My world in space pano
994 11 2016-4-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Kneepuck
Second Officer
Flight distance : 275105 ft
United States

It's sort boring where I live when it comes to making a world panorama as demonstrated by Dji-Ken.    His came out excellent,  with many interesting features.  Mine kind of looked like a turd.  So,  I decided to put it in space and here it is.  Panorama is made of 33 pictures,  arranged and stitched in Hugin,  polar coordinates done in Photoshop,  copy and paste and edge blending done in PaintShop Pro.  The original pano was 66 megabytes.  This picture is 260 k.  It was a way to kill a little time.

2016-4-10
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Yeah, well looks are deceiving. And your pile of doodoo looks cool.
Keep at it, and an eventual winner will show up, after a while. ;-)

RedHotPoker
2016-4-10
Use props
Kneepuck
Second Officer
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2016-4-10 23:44
Yeah, well looks are deceiving. And your pile of doodoo looks cool.
Keep at it, and an eventual winn ...

Why,  Thank you,  kind sir.
2016-4-10
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

You know, it almost reminds me of the interior of a large bone, with the rough porous landscape.
Yeah, you will find a better place to take your pics, and then we will all see your wonder... ;-)

RedHotPoker
2016-4-11
Use props
johnsr
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1579022 ft
France

Also agree, that is quite a world view. A little depressing, but here it would be a muddy pile of ... When I tried the same game here on a rainy afternoon, I found that the most "textured" results come from panoramas taken closer to the ground such that cliffs, trees, buildings or whatever go above the height of the bird. Then I didn't get a neat closure (how did Ken get around that?), so I just mirrored half the panorama and put the two pieces together, giving a weird symmetry.
Have fun!

Note: added this "portrait world" later...

IMG_6874_Panorama_bisbis.jpg
2016-4-11
Use props
Kneepuck
Second Officer
United States

johnsr Posted at 2016-4-11 05:16
Also agree, that is quite a world view. A little depressing, but here it would be a muddy pile of .. ...

You may want to give the Hugin app a try.  Works on Windows and Ios.  The Panorama shot I made my world out of is actually a 33 picture 360 degree panorama that can be viewed just like the 360 degree photos in google earth.  You can use fspviewer to scroll around in it,  and you will not be able to see the seam between pictures at all.  I did not upload it here because it is 66 megabytes,  but I can if you want to see it.  The Hugin program basically does all the work for you,  It even corrects exposure levels so you don't get those pyramids in the finished output.
BTW,  Your world looks kind of like a woman with a butterfly on her head,  viewed from the top.
2016-4-11
Use props
johnsr
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1579022 ft
France

Kneepuck Posted at 2016-4-11 18:26
You may want to give the Hugin app a try.  Works on Windows and Ios.  The Panorama shot I made my  ...

Thanks for the suggestion!
2016-4-11
Use props
sidtx
lvl.4
Flight distance : 266729 ft
United States

Despair not!

The mythbusters proved that you can Polish a Turd.

Sid
2016-4-11
Use props
Adam Flurk
Second Officer
Flight distance : 425466 ft
United States

Very cool. 66mb isn't too bad. I like using Photoshop CC for my panoramic shots but haven't put anything together with more than 5 shots or so. I can't even imagine 33. Thats crazy! Checkout Photoshop's Automated Photomerge feature (file > automate > photomerge).

This one is only like 4 or 5 photos if I remember correctly. Will def have to try a full 360 soon!

2016-4-13
Use props
Kneepuck
Second Officer
United States

I have used Photoshop,  but I find the Hugin app to be easier when doing a large pano.  Hugin will automatically correct exposure variations,  as well as allow you to set things like field of view, focal length,  etc. Hugin has presets for may different types of lenses and can output many different kinds of panoramas including stacked 360's.  It creates editable control points, does automatic vignetting and allows you complete control over every aspect of the final product.  At the same time,  if you choose the defaults
,  it is a 3 click process to create a perfect pano, after selecting the shots you want to use.  I really can't say enough good things about this program. I don't think I have even begun to exercise all the features that it provides.
I don't know if this link will work,  but I did post the Pano on Facebook.  Here it is.

******edit:  nope ,  didn't work.  I will put the pano up on Photobucket and post the link here**************

2016-4-13
Use props
Kneepuck
Second Officer
United States

Adam Flurk Posted at 2016-4-13 08:32
Very cool. 66mb isn't too bad. I like using Photoshop CC for my panoramic shots but haven't put anyt ...

I am now uploading the image to Photobucket.  I don't know what it will do to the image quality, but the original image is at 12 mp resolution, as produced by the P3 camera.  You can zoom it in a lot and not pixelate out until it is quite zoomed, as any 12 mp digital photo would be.
I have a pretty slow internet connection,  so the upload may take a bit.  While waiting, I will ask,  does anyone know how to upload to Skypixel without so many issues?  They want less than 20 megabytes and a 2:1 aspect ratio to upload a 360 pano.  .  Both those requirements pretty much destroy the quality and stretch the image vertically.  Am I missing something here?

On my computer this image is  14594x4221 pixels

If you could roll the image into a tube with the left and right sides touching,  you would see this is a full 360 pano.  Made of 33 images..  Only the sky is not , because the Phantom can not look all the way up.

2016-4-13
Use props
Adam Flurk
Second Officer
Flight distance : 425466 ft
United States

Kneepuck Posted at 2016-4-13 13:39
I am now uploading the image to Photobucket.  I don't know what it will do to the image quality, b ...

Yeah, unfortunately not able to view the large / actual size of the image. Looks awesome tho! I created a site for people to upload pictures / media from drones but have only been using it to host my work, lol. Haven't tried uploading something that large tho. I know there's a limit but not sure. http://dronesorlando.com/
2016-4-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules