From GPS to ATTI mode with New Firmware update.
928 6 2016-4-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
stephenbrink62
lvl.3
Flight distance : 380522 ft
South Africa

Hey guys

Anybody experience any problems with the new firmware update causing your bird to jump from GPS to ATTI mode with full satellite.
2016-4-11
Use props
tworivers
lvl.1

Canada

I have recently experienced a similar problem.  I did two flights on April 13 that had close perfect GPS conditions (I have about 25 years experience surveying with GPS in mountainous terrain so I know good conditions and these were almost perfect).  For both flights we had around 12 satellites tracked when the bird was on the ground - that would only get better in the air.  On both it kicked into Atti mode - I cannot see reason why that could be related to satellite availability.  There could issues with satellite signals kicking in and out - around the same period of time, we have experienced loss of our Sirius radio radio in areas where where we have not ever had issues - could point to some sort of atmospheric interference, possibly.  I realize they are different satellites and signals but the fact they are occurring at the same time and are both somewhat anomalous, begs the question about some common cause.  

Or, as you are suggesting, perhaps something went wrong with the firmware update.  We have not done the very latest update - which version are you running?
2016-4-22
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>

It could be high KP index at the time you were flying. Updating the firmware should not do anything to your GPS. If the problem persists in open areas, contact support but the only reason I can think of if it kept jumping in and out of GPS mode in an area would be the KP index causing it.
2016-4-22
Use props
tworivers
lvl.1

Canada

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-4-22 08:34
It could be high KP index at the time you were flying. Updating the firmware should do anything to y ...

Thanks Ken - just wanted to clarify one of your comments.  "Updating the firmware should do anything to your GPS".  Should that have read "should NOT do anything"?   Just want to make sure I understand that correctly.
2016-4-22
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>

tworivers Posted at 2016-4-23 00:20
Thanks Ken - just wanted to clarify one of your comments.  "Updating the firmware should do anythi ...

Sorry about that, fixed it.
2016-4-22
Use props
tworivers
lvl.1

Canada

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-4-22 10:21
Sorry about that, fixed it.

That's cool - just wanted make sure about that!

I have done some reading about K index.  Sounds like it could be relevant.  Having a difficult time finding archived data so I can see what happened on April 13 but I did find the following from NOAA's Space and Weather Prediction Centre:  http://services.swpc.noaa.gov/text/daily-geomagnetic-indices.txt

Looks like values were high for the High Latitude Centre (Anchorage, I believe).  I am at about 50.7 latitude.  Do you or anyone else think that values would also be high at my location?  Is there a way to extrapolate?
2016-4-22
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>

tworivers Posted at 2016-4-23 01:40
That's cool - just wanted make sure about that!

I have done some reading about K index.  Sounds l ...

There's app out there that show the index wherever you are at. Just download one of those and that will help you.
2016-4-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules