United States

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
props2.jpg
2016-4-11
Use props
tloveday
lvl.2

Canada

After you did the firmware update on your drone did you update your new battery?
2016-4-11
Use props
Tmygun
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2972497 ft
  • >>>
United States

Have to ask.....did you calibrate the IMU after you did the aircraft upgrade?
2016-4-11
Use props
nigelw
Second Officer
Flight distance : 518084 ft
United Kingdom

"Before you all say I should have or did you ?"

Not sure why you're posting it on here if you don't want people's input.
2016-4-11
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Possibly unrelated but you said "I was not near metal just outside my house in the driveway."
Which was it?
Is your driveway concrete?
Concrete usually has steel reinforcing and is not a good place to calibrate the compass or launch from.
2016-4-11
Use props
R&L Aerial
First Officer
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

You forgot the cold IMU calibration, it's a must do after ever firmware update.
2016-4-11
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

R&L Aerial  Posted at 2016-4-12 07:58
You forgot the cold IMU calibration, it's a must do after ever firmware update.

So say lots of people on forums but DJI don't believe it's important enough to advise it.
I've done many firmware upgrades without any recalibration of anything and never noticed any ill-effects.
A lot of what gets repeated on forums is just superstition with no factual basis.
2016-4-11
Use props
ArcticM39
lvl.2

United States

labroides@yahoo Posted at 2016-4-11 15:33
So say lots of people on forums but DJI don't believe it's important enough to advise it.
I've don ...

I did the last update on my P3A, set it aside for a few hours, and forgot to do the calibrations. Remembered it only after it had been in the sky for a while. Everything worked just as before and it flew beautifully.
I think labroides may be right...
2016-4-11
Use props
kevinfl1959
lvl.1

United States

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
2016-4-11
Use props
DJI-Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft
Hong Kong

Sorry for your crash. I'd suggest you to contact our NA office as below :
Email: support.us@dji.com
Phone: +1 (818) 235 0789  
Mon-Fri 9:00 am - 5:00 pm (PST)
2016-4-11
Use props
JockC
Second Officer
Flight distance : 459416 ft
Australia

labroides@yahoo Posted at 2016-4-12 08:33
I've don ...

I agree. I think the "must do an IMU calibration" is just something that has developed in these threads over time with no real justification. I didn't bother with an IMU calibration for the last two updates and it's worked just fine.

Edit. In fact, I would even say that, unless a particular firmware update specifically requires an IMU calibration, doing an IMU calibration after an update might make it more difficult to diagnose any flight instability problems that might develop because you won't know whether it was the firmware update or the IMU calibration that caused the issue.
2016-4-11
Use props
kirk2579
Second Officer
Flight distance : 37415 ft
United States

JockC Posted at 2016-4-11 23:41
I agree. I think the "must do an IMU calibration" is just something that has developed in these th ...

just a little history on how these habits and advice came about.

we have flown Phantom 1 's Phantoms 2's , Phantom 2 visions' etc. and literally have been the beta testers for the p3 and p4 in that time.

What seems to work fine in the p4 and p3 did not always play so well early on.
Just a short 15 months ago the P2 vision was top of the lne and most long time users ended up changing GPS antenna, shields, etc to keep them in the air.

Many , many things were different and far less reliable..
Each new quad has included  hardware  updates that the users found and added or asked for.

The GPS/Glonass chip in the p3 was such an upgrade unless you had a p2 you have no idea...
The redundant Compass and IMU in the FC for the P4 is another.

In other words these suggestion's have a solid basis and are to be followed, or not, at each persons choice....and or risk.

based upon 30 years of working in computing sometimes it is best to just flush the data and redo as a matter of preventive maintance

Good luck and have fun flying!
2016-4-11
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>

kirk2579@aol.co Posted at 2016-4-12 12:27
just a little history on how these habits and advice came about.

we have flown Phantom 1 's Phant ...

Sorry for your crash,
I don't think the firmware update caused your aircraft to crash. If you sync your flight records and post your email for the DJI login, I can have your records from the app read.
Also, if there was an error the flight data recorder in the aircraft will tell exactly what caused the crash.
Call the number that was posted and they open at 7am and then will issue an RMA and email you a shipping label to sent your aircraft in for repair.
You can also extract the DAT files from the aircraft and upload the flight data to Dropbox and provide the link with your RMA and they will analyze the flight data.
And agin in the meantime, I can read your flight records from the app, basically see the same you see when you playback your flight record but with more information.
2016-4-11
Use props
Paul Schulze
lvl.1
Flight distance : 280591 ft
United States

I cannot calibrate my compass on concrete if it has rebar in it.  The metal in the concrete can cause calibration problems.
2016-4-11
Use props
kirk2579
Second Officer
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-4-12 00:36
Sorry for your crash,
I don't think the firmware update caused your aircraft to crash. If you sync ...

Ken

you got the wrong guy,
I still flying!!!

I was addressing the guy saying that there is no "real "justification for the habits and practices we have learned to use for years now as far as calibrating after certain events and fw changes

The couple crashes I have had over the years are on ME
2016-4-11
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>

kirk2579@aol.co Posted at 2016-4-12 12:49
Ken

you got the wrong guy,

Sorry bud.
2016-4-11
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>

Sorry for your crash,
I don't think the firmware update caused your aircraft to crash. If you sync your flight records and post your email for the DJI login, I can have your records from the app read.
Also, if there was an error the flight data recorder in the aircraft will tell exactly what caused the crash.
Call the number that was posted and they open at 7am and then will issue an RMA and email you a shipping label to sent your aircraft in for repair.
You can also extract the DAT files from the aircraft and upload the flight data to Dropbox and provide the link with your RMA and they will analyze the flight data.
And agin in the meantime, I can read your flight records from the app, basically see the same you see when you playback your flight record but with more information.
2016-4-11
Use props
JockC
Second Officer
Flight distance : 459416 ft
Australia

kirk2579@aol.co Posted at 2016-4-12 14:27
based upon 30 years of working in computing sometimes it is best to just flush the data and redo as a matter of preventive maintance...

Based on more than 35 years in computing, my experience is that you should keep the number of changes at one time to a minimum. Doing the firmware update and an IMU recalibrate makes it less certain as to what may have caused any change in behaviour.

If the DJI engineers make a change to the firmware that specifically affects the IMU or other component then I'm sure they will include the need to do a recalibration in their release notes otherwise the best change, as far as testing is concerned,  is always the minimal change.
2016-4-11
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

JockC Posted at 2016-4-12 15:10
Based on my 35 years in computing, my experience is that you should keep the number of changes at  ...

I would agree with you in theory, but you are not going to get the average flyer to follow the disciplines you mention. So often you read how someone unboxed their brand new Phantom, then immediately upgrade the firmware on everything in sight, and found it did not work. Instead of getting it in the air and finding out if it was OK from the start.
2016-4-11
Use props
wellsi
First Officer
Flight distance : 8330187 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Geebax Posted at 2016-4-12 06:17
I would agree with you in theory, but you are not going to get the average flyer to follow the dis ...

In fairness to the new user, they wouldn't upgrade everything in sight if the Go App wasn't flashing a big orange banner across saying "New Firmware - Upgrade now..."  We've had 3 upgrades in 5 months. And every time there are loads of threads on here complaining about upgrade failures and crashes.  
Do you upgrade your spare batteries? Do yourecallibrate the IMU?  Different upgrade procedures for Standard and the Advanced and Pros.  Sometimes the Go App needs updating too.
Really, it's a mess. It's a messy procedure and a mess that they have to keep upgrading things every couple of months.....

Steps off soap box........

2016-4-11
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

wellsi Posted at 2016-4-12 16:33
In fairness to the new user, they wouldn't upgrade everything in sight if the Go App wasn't flashi ...

And I agree with that too. In fact I began a thread about the awful update process some time ago, I reckon it is one of the worst examples of programming I have seen in years.

I only wish we could get hold of people before they open their box and start updating everything. Just say to them ignore the warnings, just go and fly your aircraft first.

2016-4-11
Use props
R&L Aerial
First Officer
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

JockC Posted at 2016-4-11 23:41
I agree. I think the "must do an IMU calibration" is just something that has developed in these th ...

The manual says to do Imu  calibration after firmware upgrade, it's not some wives tale.
2016-4-12
Use props
kirk2579
Second Officer
United States

JockC Posted at 2016-4-12 01:10
Based on more than 35 years in computing, my experience is that you should keep the number of chan ...

somewhat agree, especially about multiple changes at once.

definitely makes trouble shooting more difficult..
and this is why once I do compass and IMU after a major event I don't touch again ....
Until next major event,, crash,, FW update,, part change etc.
2016-4-12
Use props
kirk2579
Second Officer
United States

wellsi Posted at 2016-4-12 02:33
In fairness to the new user, they wouldn't upgrade everything in sight if the Go App wasn't flashi ...

I agree on the APP can be confusing as to what it asks for and what it requires the user to do..

I actually would love to see just a flying control APP.
GO APP LITE
The GO APP minus all the video editing and manuals etc .
One designed to fly the phantom and control it. vs all the extra stuff they included that most frankly have never looked at.

They are trying to do 2 or 3 apps of work in one large clunky app that is growing all the time.
2016-4-12
Use props
kirk2579
Second Officer
United States

JockC Posted at 2016-4-12 01:10
Based on more than 35 years in computing, my experience is that you should keep the number of chan ...

they don't really do full release notes...

they hit the big points only.

under layer fixes and adjustments are made all the time that are never noted in release.

They, DJI, recommends strongly to do the IMU and Compass AFTER a FW upgade.
I find that so far it has worked for me now for a couple years and 6 phantoms to follow that simple process.

good luck and have fun flying!
2016-4-12
Use props
kevinfl1959
lvl.1

United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-4-12 00:56
Sorry for your crash,
I don't think the firmware update caused your aircraft to crash. If you sync y ...

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
2016-4-13
Use props
kevinfl1959
lvl.1

United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-4-12 00:36
Sorry for your crash,
I don't think the firmware update caused your aircraft to crash. If you sync ...

I sync'd the data.  It shows that it was in flight hovering...  dropped altitude fast  - no stick movement.  After it hit the ground upside down  I moved the sticks to shut down the motors even though they were not turning just in case.  

Not willing to share my email in forum.  Please PM me for it.  TY Ken
2016-4-13
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>

kevinfl1959@gma Posted at 2016-4-14 12:31
I sync'd the data.  It shows that it was in flight hovering...  dropped altitude fast  - no stick  ...

I just saw that you have posted you have an RMA, what's that ticket number and I will look at your flight records tomorrow.
2016-4-13
Use props
kevinfl1959
lvl.1

United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-4-14 00:46
I just saw that you have posted you have an RMA, what's that ticket number and I will look at your ...

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
2016-4-14
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

I looked at your flight and I do not see any errors. You took off 45% battery and at 3:31 you were hovering at 3m and had 33% battery. Then I see your stick movements lowering the aircraft and landing.
I do not see any crash and that is the flight from 3/26.
They sent you a shipping label and when your aircraft gets here they will get the full flight data from the flight data recorder and be able to tell better the exact movements of the aircraft.
2016-4-14
Use props
kevinfl1959
lvl.1

United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-4-14 17:11
I looked at your flight and I do not see any errors. You took off 45% battery and at 3:31 you were h ...
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
2016-4-14
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>

kevinfl1959@gma Posted at 2016-4-15 08:31
The flight was on 4-11 that this happened on.

The last flight I see in your records is 4/1 and there is no crash in that one. Can you re-sync again.
2016-4-14
Use props
kevinfl1959
lvl.1

United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-4-14 20:48
The last flight I see in your records is 4/1 and there is no crash in that one. Can you re-sync ag ...

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

2016-4-27
Use props
kevinfl1959
lvl.1

United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-4-14 20:48
The last flight I see in your records is 4/1 and there is no crash in that one. Can you re-sync ag ...

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
2016-4-27
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

kevinfl1959@gma Posted at 2016-4-28 04:56
I resynced it again.     It clearly shows that it dropped and hit the ground before I initiated a s ...

Kevin,
I just spent quite a bit of time in the repair shop and talked to several techs and got them to play back the flight record from your aircraft.What happened is after you took off, at 23 seconds one of the motors spun up to full RPM and the reason for that was from a propeller not being tightened and it through a prop and flipped.
I am sorry about that, it is not covered under warranty.
I wish I had better news for you.
Kevin.png
kevin1.png
2016-4-27
Use props
kevinfl1959
lvl.1

United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-4-27 17:18
Kevin,
I just spent quite a bit of time in the repair shop and talked to several techs and got the ...

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

2016-4-29
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>

kevinfl1959@gma Posted at 2016-4-29 22:48
I tightened all the props.  The UNIT Stopped flying in mid air at a hover and no props came off the ...

I am sorry about that, the data is pulled from the flight controller and it shows one motor going to full throttle at 23 seconds and the only way that can happen is if it lost a prop. That is what the data analysis team told me.
There is nothing more I can do as I am only here online to answer technical questions.
2016-4-29
Use props
kevinfl1959
lvl.1

United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-4-29 11:04
I am sorry about that, the data is pulled from the flight controller and it shows one motor going  ...

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
2016-4-29
Use props
kevinfl1959
lvl.1

United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-4-29 11:04
I am sorry about that, the data is pulled from the flight controller and it shows one motor going  ...

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
2016-4-29
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>

kevinfl1959@gma Posted at 2016-4-29 23:17
I understand that you are here for Tech assist. But theses Photos DISPROVE what they are saying !

Since the aircraft is still here, I will have a different technician evaluate and they will let you know the outcome.
2016-4-29
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules