Pilots license for commercial use of drone?
3353 14 2016-4-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Ant2596
lvl.1

I own a DJI Inspire 1 v2 and am looking to use my drone for commercial use with my video production business. I have applied for a section 333 exemption. I have been hearing that I may need some sort of pilots license to actually operate the drone under section 333. Is this true?

Thanks,

Anthony
2016-4-11
Use props
R&L Aerial
Second Officer
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

You need a sport pilot license the kind you get for an ultralight.
2016-4-11
Use props
terrylewis
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3517287 ft
  • >>>
United States

Specifics are available in the FAA 333 Exemption FAQ:

http://www.faa.gov/uas/legislati ... n_333/333_faqs/#q12

"A. By law, the FAA cannot authorize an aircraft operation in the National Airspace without a certificated pilot in command of the aircraft (Title 49 of United States Code § 44711). Exemptions granted in accordance with Section 333 carry the following requirement regarding the pilot in command (PIC) of the aircraft:

Under this grant of exemption, a PIC must hold either an airline transport, commercial, private, recreational, or sport pilot certificate. The PIC must also hold a current FAA airman medical certificate or a valid U.S. driver's license issued by a state, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, a territory, a possession, or the Federal government. The PIC must also meet the flight review requirements specified in 14 CFR § 61.56 in an aircraft in which the PIC is rated on his or her pilot certificate.

More information about obtaining pilot certification is available at:
http://www.faa.gov/pilots/. "
2016-4-11
Use props
R&L Aerial
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Also I don't have any of this regulatory bull crap and my drones work great for commercial use, as a matter of fact I have a 500 dollar gig coming up this weekend.
2016-4-11
Use props
Ant2596
lvl.1

Thanks guys, this really is ridiculous. Should I submit a blood sample too just to be safe?
2016-4-11
Use props
vonbaron1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 42014 ft
  • >>>
United States

Ultralight pilot don't need a license or registration.  Its like a lawn mower.  Just take it home and use it.  lol
2016-4-11
Use props
Ant2596
lvl.1
United States

R&L Aerial, has anyone given you any problems regarding flying your drones for commercial use?
2016-4-11
Use props
TyJo
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1595030 ft
  • >>>
United States

Best thing to do is operate at a hobbyist. Under the current rules a hobby pilot has little restriction, just fly safe.

I don't charge my clients for drone work, I do that for free, as a friend....however i do charge them for media delivery.. Just make sure you document the transaction well.

Also a good resource is this podcast.
https://dronelawtoday.com/
2016-4-11
Use props
jjwebbe
lvl.1
Flight distance : 78304 ft
United States

TyJo Posted at 2016-4-11 18:41
Best thing to do is operate at a hobbyist. Under the current rules a hobby pilot has little restrict ...

Just FYI, the FAA does not take that position. Does not matter either way to me, but this is what the FAA states: (From FAA website)

Do I need a Section 333 grant of exemption if I'm not charging for my services?
A. Unless you are flying only for hobby or recreational purposes, you will need FAA authorization via a Section 333 grant of exemption to fly your unmanned aircraft system (UAS) for your business. This applies even if you are only flying to supplement or aide your business and not charging fees for doing so.
2016-4-11
Use props
LICENSED PILOT
lvl.4
Flight distance : 692090 ft
  • >>>
United States

YES, as a minimum you must have an FAA sport pilot certificate to fly under the 333. Until the FAA gets off the dime and establishes the UAS Operator certificate process,maybe later this year...

I know there are plenty of people who will tell you that don't need a pilot license, just "stay under the radar." That is up to you. In my business area the first thing realtors want to know is if I am "legal" and do I have liability insurance.  I have a construction site job coming soon with a major construction company and they wanted to see all documentation up front. On the 19th I am doing a presentation to the county chiefs of police which includes an overview of the legal aspects of hobby versus commercial operations and what paperwork the cops should be asking for if they receive a complaint of "a drone is spying on me" and who in the FAA wants to receive this information from the cops. they do.
http://www.faa.gov/uas/law_enforcement/

BTW. the feds are also wise to the game of "I only charge for the pics or the media." It is still a violation.

Flying legal is a personal, and moral decision. Can you afford to lose your car and home in an injury lawsuit because there was no liability insurance? A civil jury will see the failure to fly legally as reckless and will not side with you.

That's my 2 cents worth of free advice. Keep in mind that those who tell you to fly illegally will not be paying for your lawyer if you get in trouble.

I feel obligated to give you an honest answer. Now you'll see a few hostile responses, which I will not respond to. Good luck with your 333.
2016-4-11
Use props
TyJo
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1595030 ft
  • >>>
United States

Bottom line, there is no government regulation without an exemption....it's just taking the FAA long to figure out how much money they want to take out of your pocket.

All of the licensed pilots (no offense) want strict rules in order to comer the market, more rules less competition, just ask UBER.

Also the FAA rules are guidelines, not law. The FAA can't make laws. Most cases brought by the FAA are those folks being idiots in the air. When meet with a folks and they ask me about safety I tell them i spent $4k on the drone and don't plan to do any dumb with...

Fly smart, don't do anything stupid
2016-4-12
Use props
R&L Aerial
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Ant2596 Posted at 2016-4-11 18:47
R&L Aerial, has anyone given you any problems regarding flying your drones for commercial use?

No one has ever questioned me, I simply tell that I only except cash. I have a full time job as well so it's just a side gig.ive got an FAA registered drone pilot t-shirt I wear. I even told one guy that legally I can't charge for this service but I do take equipment donations so he gave me 100 dollar "donation" for a few pictures of his farm.
2016-4-12
Use props
Ant2596
lvl.1
United States

R&L Aerial  Posted at 2016-4-12 08:28
No one has ever questioned me, I simply tell that I only except cash. I have a full time job as we ...

Thanks for the information guys.
2016-4-12
Use props
Ant2596
lvl.1
United States

R&L Aerial  Posted at 2016-4-12 08:28
No one has ever questioned me, I simply tell that I only except cash. I have a full time job as we ...

Thanks for the information guys.
2016-4-12
Use props
Jason Cash
New

United States

Ant2596 Posted at 2016-4-11 13:58
Thanks guys, this really is ridiculous. Should I submit a blood sample too just to be safe?

If you get vaccinated you'll be OK to fly without a license
2022-6-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules