6618 42 2016-4-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Nicola90s
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3060869 ft
Russia

Hi everyone!

Some days ago I found that the right stick of my remote controller wasn't fixed in his position and if you press on it you could see that the black plastic around it goes down, moreover I also could hear the sound of a free screw inside it when I was sake the RC.

I want to clarify that the RC never fall down or had some impacts.

I was thinking that I just need to open the RC and put that screw back to fix the problem, but when I opened it I understood that the problem was that three (3/4!!!) screw housings were broken! I fixed with plastic gun, but the result is not much good...now I cant close perfectly the RC or the right stick have some friction when you move forward.

P.S. Plastic inside is very bad quality

Someone know if it is possible to buy only the RC case replacement?

Moderator of the forum know if I contact DJI the can sell me only the plastic case of the RC?

Thanks in advance for your help!

IMG_3386.jpg
IMG_3385.jpg
2016-4-12
Use props
DJI-Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft
Hong Kong

Sorry the plastic case is not available on our official online store. You can contact support@dji.com and send it back for RMA but it would cost a lot of  money and take a long time  (shipping fee/ custom fee/ repairing fee). So it would be better to solve your issue--  buying a second-hand RC
2016-4-12
Use props
Nicola90s
lvl.4
Russia

DJI-Paladin Posted at 2016-4-12 17:11
Sorry the plastic case is not available on our official online store. You can contact  and send it b ...

Repair the RC will coast more than buy new one?! Mine work good, is just that pice of plastic.
2016-4-12
Use props
DJI-Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft
Hong Kong

Nicola90s Posted at 2016-4-12 17:52
Repair the RC will coast more than buy new one?! Mine work good, is just that pice of plastic.

The shipping fee and custom fee would be high if you decide to send it back to DJI HK.
2016-4-12
Use props
nemisusdm
lvl.1

United States

My controller is doing the same thing for no apparent reason.  I just emailed customer service.  My p3p is just 3 weeks old and I always babied it.
2016-4-24
Use props
knarfboy
Second Officer
Flight distance : 494508 ft
  • >>>
Germany

See here: http://forum.dji.com/thread-50534-1-1.html

Same probem and more pictures.
Hint: check if you have warranty request a waranty repair!

German DJI Support Forum: http://www.kopter-support.de/viewtopic.php?f=54&t=502

2016-4-25
Use props
knarfboy
Second Officer
Flight distance : 494508 ft
  • >>>
Germany

@ DJI-Paladin
Since this is clearly dealing here with a design flaw and a quality problem with the plastic used, the warranty repair for the customer should be free.
And DJI should provide the cover as soon as possible as a spare part.
2016-4-25
Use props
Flight Raptor
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3014675 ft
  • >>>
United States

Might I suggest looking for a used one on ebay?  They are pretty decent prices used and typically someone that has crashed/destroyed their Phantom3 and trying to recover a little dough.
2016-4-25
Use props
Nicola90s
lvl.4
Italy

Flight Raptor Posted at 2016-4-25 21:36
Might I suggest looking for a used one on ebay?  They are pretty decent prices used and typically so ...

Ok, but why DJI doesn't provide also a shall as spare part?
2016-4-25
Use props
microcyb
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1095955 ft
United States

Since you cannot get a replacement part, I would just dab a small drop of gorilla glue there and reassemble the controller.
2016-4-25
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Same thing happened to my P3 after 5 months, I took it back for a full refund on P3, as not fit for purpose.

Chucked in a bit more and got a P4 and theGL300C controller that comes with it hopefully is better build quality. Certainly the metal bracket to the device holder is a big step & rock solid. It would be good to think that the materials and quality control have undergone upgrades as well. Time will tell.
2016-4-25
Use props
Flight Raptor
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Nicola90s Posted at 2016-4-25 12:49
Ok, but why DJI doesn't provide also a shall as spare part?

A very good question.
2016-4-25
Use props
rickb33952
lvl.2
United States

The plastic or the molding process seems to be the problem. Perhaps DJI should consult a mechanical engineer & consider offering a recall exchange program.
I was lucky and noticed that my C-1 switch felt funny and when I pressed it it moved inside the case. This was the first time I ever tried to use that switch. Upon removing the two cover halfs I saw that both plastic receivers were in pieces and had completely separated from the case. Since I had the case open I looked and saw that most other screw receivers were split or fractured. I suspect that this happened during assembly.
If I hadn't been curious and opened the case, I'm pretty sure the stick opposite C-1 could have jammed.
As a responsible preflight person, I took it upon myself to take the controller apart.
I am taking it to a dealer repair center and I'm sure that the best they will offer is glue & brace.
Good Luck everyone.
R
2016-9-15
Use props
djordan2
Second Officer
Flight distance : 79291 ft
United States

Why can't you just put some glue,  like J.B. Weld around the hole, and then put the screw back in.  Let it dry for and hour, and reassemble.  That stuff works great on plastic things.
2016-9-15
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

A good photograph of the problem should be enough to get a free replacement case sent out to the customer, if they want to do the job themselves. Those screw posts should not fail like that, it is bad moulding practices.
2016-9-15
Use props
Holger4221
Banned

Canada

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2016-9-15
Use props
Holger4221
Banned

Canada

2016-9-15
Use props
gch10
New

Poland

Plastics in the DJI is the worst I have encountered! Tragedy!
2016-9-15
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

gch10 Posted at 2016-9-16 15:29
Plastics in the DJI is the worst I have encountered! Tragedy!

I do not blame DJI as I don't know if they do their own plastic moulding, they may sub-contract the moulding out to someone else. However it is totally typical of Chinese plastic moulding. Any parts that do not mould properly are ground up and recycled again, in the race to cut costs.

The problem with that is, the process of moulding leaches out some of the plasticiser in the polymer that allows the plastic to bend slightly without fracturing. After the parts have been recycled several times, the plastic becomes weak and is easily fractured.

DJI need to speak to their (cheap) moulder and tell them to stop recycling on their parts. I ban the company that does my moulding from recycling for this very reason.
2016-9-15
Use props
Holger4221
Banned

2016-9-16
Use props
Flight Raptor
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Holger4221 Posted at 2016-9-16 09:45
I am getting on what you trying to explain. But I do have a problem that you are trying to protect ...

I Agree with this post.   While the subcontractor or supplier may be the source of the problem, DJI is selling the product and is solely responsible to the consumer for the product.

I work in the tech industry and we use 3rd party designed pieces all the time.  When my customer has an issue, they don't care what xyz company really designed/built the piece, they hold me (correctly so) accountable for fixing their issue.

Same is the case here.   Problem is that it takes too long for a case to be resolved like this and it is clearly a widespread issue.  I have a controller that I took apart to add a DBS mod, too....haven't bothered trying to get it sent to DJI because I had the product almost a year before I decided to mod it, but what I found inside was appalling:
1) Every screw mount that held the top and bottom halves together were in pieces once the screws were removed (screws were only thing 'holding' them in any form)
2) The little tiny posts thta the stock antenna attach to were cracked and crumbled upon touch.
3) The OUTSIDE corner of my controller is showing hairline cracks (similiar to the cracks everyone sees on the screw holes of their phantoms)

I have never dropped the controller and it is always in a padded case when not in use....

This is all most likely caused by over torque and what Geebax rightfully describes as re-use of old plastic.   Doesn't matter to me as a consumer.  The product design/material is flawed and DJI should be responsible period.  i just didn't wanna go through the hassle of trying to fight for a warranty for a product that I didn't abuse, but was almost a year old. I have toys I bought for my kid that he beats the hell out of that lasted longer than this $400 controller plastic!
2016-9-16
Use props
kdcox
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1386588 ft
United States

I wish some enterprising person would reverse engineer some nice carbon fiber body and RC shells
2016-9-16
Use props
Holger4221
Banned

2016-9-16
Use props
balciatilla
lvl.2
Flight distance : 282080 ft
Turkey

Dear DJI, why don't you provide controller's shall as spare part?
2016-9-16
Use props
MD_Icarus
lvl.4
United States

My guess is that it is a delicate procedure to take the electronics out and put them into a new case.  Not too  many people can do it right, and the ones who do not,  may have catastrophic consequences later on. There are so many tiny fragile electronic boards, ribbons, RF cables......

I just modified one to add a custom antenna, and it required careful, meticulous  & precise placement of many delicate components.  And I have more than 20 years experience working with advanced MIL-STD RF circuits.
2016-9-16
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Holger4221 Posted at 2016-9-16 23:45
I am getting on what you trying to explain. But I do have a problem that you are trying to protect ...

'But I do have a problem that you are trying to protect DJI. '

I guess there will always be someone who thinks you are protecting DJI. I am not, and I can't see why you would say that. Go back and look at my post #15, where I make it clear that it is DJIs responsibility to fix it.

All I said in my post was that this is typical of Chinese injection moulding practices, which are dodgy at the best of times.
2016-9-16
Use props
gigaspeed
New

United States

I just got done with a support case trying to get a replacement RC shell. I don't have the original proof of purchase and was told "We're sorry for the inconvenience but that's is the company policy. It is a requirement to provide the screenshot of your proof of purchase for use to initiate your part request".

I explained that I was looking to PAY for the replacement part not wanting a warranty. Time for some gorilla glue.
2016-9-23
Use props
Nicola90s
lvl.4
Italy

gigaspeed Posted at 2016-9-24 00:37
I just got done with a support case trying to get a replacement RC shell. I don't have the original  ...

I think that you should try to repair by yourself or try to find some second hand RC...
2016-9-24
Use props
Temblor
Banned
United States

2017-3-20
Use props
Temblor
Banned
United States

2017-4-16
Use props
Nicola90s
lvl.4
Italy

Temblor Posted at 2017-4-16 10:00
Since DJI will not help thier customers with DEFECTIVE plastic, I came up with a fix for the Joystck, Return to Home button, Lower case, and dials defects here. There should be a class action against DJI because they have ABANDONED thier customers with thier faulty products. But here is a $3.00 fix.. but it will take some time to repair https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rcx4VDik8eE

Wow that is really interesting possibility to solve the problem. Thanks for sharing!
2017-4-18
Use props
bluesy
New

Sweden

I do not understand the problem that you can not get spare parts for rc
DJI probably does not think the problem is big enough but the more we are writing and pointing out, they have to react to the end.
The answers we receive on this thread from DJI can only be said. Wrong answer
2017-5-29
Use props
HWCM
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5484997 ft
United States

If you google, you can find the shells for sale on a couple sites. I posted them a while back.
2017-5-29
Use props
HWCM
lvl.4
United States

http://www.goodluckbuy.com/dji-remote-controller-spare-parts-replacement-upper-shell-for-phantom-3-adv-pro-4k-quadcopter.html
2017-5-29
Use props
HWCM
lvl.4
United States

https://store.cloudcitydrones.com/dji-phantom-4-pro-remote-controller-upper-shell.html
2017-5-29
Use props
HWCM
lvl.4
United States

https://store.cloudcitydrones.com/dji-phantom-4-pro-remote-controller-bottom-shell.html
2017-5-29
Use props
Nicola90s
lvl.4
Italy

HWCM Posted at 2017-5-29 21:07
https://store.cloudcitydrones.com/dji-phantom-4-pro-remote-controller-bottom-shell.html

Nice to see that somewhere you can buy this replacement, unfortunately they do not ship in Europe.
2017-5-30
Use props
fans6fe7d03f
New

United States

Terrible response from DJI! If I would have seen this yesterday I would not have bought the Mavic Air last night. Even if you glue this thing other screws/brackets continue to break. Clearly a manufacture defect, DJI needs to do the right thing. These are not cheap drones, DJI making a bunch of $$$! Disappointing at best.
2018-1-24
Use props
fans6fe7d03f
New

United States

Terrible response from DJI! If I would have seen this yesterday I would not have bought the Mavic Air last night. Even if you glue this thing other screws/brackets continue to break. Clearly a manufacture defect, DJI needs to do the right thing. These are not cheap drones, DJI making a bunch of $$$! Disappointing at best.
2018-1-24
Use props
AIister
lvl.4
Flight distance : 626647 ft
Canada

use jb kwikweld and repair the pillars etc.  i did mine in a few minutes and better than ever.  gorilla glue sucks.  eventually went back to dji for warranty and they replaced it (canada to usa) no fees no cost to me at all.  
2018-1-24
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules