Colour Grading help
1198 8 2016-4-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
nigelw
Second Officer
Flight distance : 518084 ft
United Kingdom

Does anyone know of any software that can correct colour temperature dynamically from frame to frame, rather than for a whole clip?

This short clip for example, changes as the view rotates, between green tinted & magenta tinted because I left it set to auto (lesson learned).  I have quite a lot of footage from that day where this happens.

2016-4-12
Use props
granne
lvl.1

United States

You could always  do keyframing in adobe premiere. You could use a couple layers of footage, each with their optimal color grade, then just slowly change the opacity of the layers with keyframing so it is easy on the eyes. I know this doesnt directly answer your question, but that is what I am seeing i could do even with my adobe premiere elements 13.
2016-4-12
Use props
jrm11
lvl.3
Flight distance : 224577 ft
United States

Keyframes sounds like one good idea.

I have tried another. I split the clip into separate clips on the timeline Try to find the "midpoint" of where the clip changes. I then correct each section so they all match as best as can be.

Then I place the sections on different layers in the timeline, and stretch the start and end point so everything overlaps. I then add fade-in/fade-out to the overlapping sections. (Another option would be a cross-dissolve where the clips meet on the timeline and playing with the length of the dissolve).

Its a ghetto method, but I have had some success with it for continuous shots with changing values.
2016-4-12
Use props
birdingbilly
lvl.3
Flight distance : 843369 ft
United Kingdom

Not sure what you currently use in post but FCPX cannot natively keyframe colour correction, however, as with many things with FCPX there is a plugin that can, in this case RT Color Balance by Ripple Training - it's also a free plugin I think.  This will definately do the job.  Great clip by the way and quite a ballsy climb to get up Striding Edge in the snow.
2016-4-12
Use props
nigelw
Second Officer
United Kingdom

birdingbilly Posted at 2016-4-12 21:53
Not sure what you currently use in post but FCPX cannot natively keyframe colour correction, however ...

I don't have FCPX...yet.  But, knowing it can do the job helps with the buying decision.  I've not really been into video so still learning, especially the post processing side.  Once I've got a good selection of clips I'll look at putting something together.  It'll take some time though so no hurry at the moment.

I had planned to walk across Striding Edge & up to the summit, but the snow was fresh & powdery & straight onto rock so was a bit too loose for my liking.  I've made the trip a couple of times before in proper winter conditions so didn't have anything to prove.  It's quite airy up there!...

_MG_7834-19507.jpg
2016-4-12
Use props
nigelw
Second Officer
United Kingdom

granne@hotmail. Posted at 2016-4-12 18:06
You could always  do keyframing in adobe premiere. You could use a couple layers of footage, each wi ...

I'm not sure I want to invest in Adobe software.  I use Lightroom for my photography, but it's getting more & more difficult to get standalone non-subscription software & I really don't want to be forced down the subscription route in future.  Is keyframing specific to Adobe or is it a general video editing technique?
2016-4-12
Use props
birdingbilly
lvl.3
Flight distance : 843369 ft
United Kingdom

Keyframing is a general video editing technique - it enables you to change with time the impact of an edit - for example you can apply a blur at 100% and fade it to 0% over any period of time (number of frames) you choose.  Both Adobe PP and FCPX can keryrame  - for some unknown reason one thing you cannot keyrame in FCPX is colour correction but as I say you can do it with a plugin.  There is whole industry of Pugins and they are very important in the high end video editing world particulary for FCPX as Apple have adopted a somewhat different model to Adobe in keeping FCPX relatively straightforward whilst allowing Plugins to build on the functionality.  Adobe PP has more built in but the price you pay for that is a steeper learning curve and an interface that is just not as intuative IMO.  I should of course say that FCPX is of course Mac only so if you are a PC user then PP is the main (but not only) high-end way to go.  Both are of course superb pieces of software and neither are cheap !
2016-4-12
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

nigelw Posted at 2016-4-13 08:03
I'm not sure I want to invest in Adobe software.  I use Lightroom for my photography, but it's get ...

Blackmagic Resolve allows you to keyframe, and it is free.
2016-4-12
Use props
harb
lvl.2
Flight distance : 99986539 ft
Australia

Its going to be hard......
You might have to divide the clip into individual frames and fix one, then copy it and paste attributes , adjust the next frame then the next and so on.
If you key frame chunks, it will be noticeable , and if you keyframe each frame it would be a longer workflow than doing each frame individually.
You can get clip diving software pretty easy and then just use Photoshop or whatever you like.
I use both Photoshop and the full version of DaVinci Resolve, but there are plenty of others.
About the closest thing to doing it dynamically would be to Use a program like DaVinci, and apply a qualifier and tracking in a part of the frame that has white in it at all times....like the snow etc.
2016-4-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules