Flew 6 km into the ocean and return home would not work.
1162 9 2016-4-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
leanlinao
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1495906 ft
Philippines

P3 pro
I fortunately did not loose signal then near 6000 meters I decided to hit RTH and it did not do anything except turn a little but went back to original position (I tried RTH twice) so I just canceled RTH and manually flew it back.
I did have 17 or 18 drone gps and full

radio signal. So im guessing RTH isnt fully functional at over 5 km?? I use a solid windsurfer and I'll go for 7 km nexttime
Max should be 8 km with a new good battery

Had less than 30% battery left when I landed

Went back and forth to the ocean it was a thrill and it was fun. Gotta love flying in the night too in the ocean xD

Oh and I did not update to the latest firmware (just the 1 before that, has been the latest for a while) but both of those has zero correlation to this issue.

The wind and temperature was a major factor for battery life but when the wind helped my drone I went over 22 m/s. Wirh wind against only went 13 m/s.

Phantom 4's more powerful and more efficient would be great for long flights but having read that the radio's power is 20% less made me understand why some people were complaining about its range.

2016-4-12
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Distance shouldn't make any difference to RTH.
Have you used RTH before?
That's definitely an important thing to try out in controlled conditions before you need to use it.

An explanation might be found if you go to http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/
Follow the instructions to upload your flight record.

Come back and post a link to the report it provides and some of the experienced people here will probably be able to analyse it and give you an understanding of the cause
2016-4-12
Use props
leanlinao
lvl.4
Philippines

Ive used rth prolly 100x in the 15 jours of flight. I also tried rth 1/3 in the travel
2016-4-12
Use props
DJI-Tim
DJI team

Hong Kong

You got some great results... that's strange that it it didn't work out. Did you press RTH on the rc on in the app?
2016-4-13
Use props
Harb
lvl.3

Australia

were you using the Go App ?
There are issues with the RTH on 3rd party apps at the moment, still no fix from DJI firmware updates
2016-4-13
Use props
Tmygun
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2972497 ft
  • >>>
United States

Sounds like RTH somehow was set or reset to "Hover in Place" instead of return to home.  I've noticed that after some firmware updates, some things like RTH altitude and Max altitude etc.....go back to default.
I'm not suprised at all since since a firmware update can be pretty extensive.   Of course you said that you had not updated in a while so I doubt that would be the problem. Just a thought
2016-4-13
Use props
leanlinao
lvl.4
Philippines

DJI-Tim Posted at 2016-4-13 16:02
You got some great results... that's strange that it it didn't work out. Did you press RTH on the rc ...

I used rthon my radio not on the app and my app is dji
2016-4-13
Use props
leanlinao
lvl.4
Philippines

Tmygun Posted at 2016-4-13 21:29
Sounds like RTH somehow was set or reset to "Hover in Place" instead of return to home.  I've notice ...

I used RTH in the beginning to see if its working and it did work before i went out in the ocean but at near 6000m it doesnt work anymore.
2016-4-13
Use props
leanlinao
lvl.4
Philippines

Harb Posted at 2016-4-13 16:39
were you using the Go App ?
There are issues with the RTH on 3rd party apps at the moment, still no  ...

I did use dji app
2016-4-13
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

leanlinao Posted at 2016-4-14 00:26
I used RTH in the beginning to see if its working and it did work before i went out in the ocean b ...

It would be very interesting to find out what the issue was.
Without flight data people can only guess
I gave instructions above that would help you find out the problem.
http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?m ... 6&fromuid=10818
2016-4-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules