Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
iPad mini wifi only..
1275 11 2016-4-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
soerenlandersen
lvl.2

Sweden

I have bought an iPad mini 3, but wifi only...got it used - in a god deal. I think it's perfect for my phantom 3 advanced...
But..
When it only has wifi the gps doesnt update my homepoint?
Can I when start a new mission...take my iPhone 6s first, update my homepoint - and then change to the iPad....and the homepoint will be the new one from the iPhone ?
I like safety - and i love my phantom...so i'm not that interesstet in loosing it ;-)
Hope you guys understand my question :-)
2016-4-13
Use props
G_MEZ_G
lvl.3

United States

Why not use your iPhone as a hotspot for your iPad?
2016-4-13
Use props
soerenlandersen
lvl.2

Sweden

G_MEZ_G Posted at 2016-4-13 20:43
Why not use your iPhone as a hotspot for your iPad?

Sharing the 4g from the iPhone ? :-)
Sorry for my missing knowledge about these things.... And I know the site called Google ;-)
2016-4-13
Use props
G_MEZ_G
lvl.3

United States

soerenlandersen Posted at 2016-4-14 03:01
Sharing the 4g from the iPhone ? :-)
Sorry for my missing knowledge about these things.... And I k ...

It's ok. Just go to your iPhone settings and select personal hotspot. there you can turn it on. Then on your iPad, go to settings and WIFI and your phone will show under available WIFI networks. Just make sure and place a password on it so no one else can use your service.
2016-4-13
Use props
soerenlandersen
lvl.2

Sweden

G_MEZ_G Posted at 2016-4-13 21:08
It's ok. Just go to your iPhone settings and select personal hotspot. there you can turn it on. Th ...

Got it!!
Thank you!!
2016-4-13
Use props
dhaiken
lvl.2

Connecting to a Hotspot does give you Internet access, but it does not provide GPS functionality for the device.
The GPS in the Drone establishes your Homepoint prior to take-off.
A Wi-Fi only iPad does not allow you to reset your Homepoint after take-off and doesn't provide the Follow Me function.
Everything else works as usual.
2016-4-13
Use props
endotherm
Second Officer
Flight distance : 503241 ft

Australia

A wifi-only iPad can work out its position from nearby wireless access points if there are enough of them nearby.  I think Apple call it assisted-GPS.  Just go to your "maps" app and see it in action.  It isn't as accurate as having real GPS in the device though.  If you want to add the functionality , you can get an external bluetooth GPS and connect it to your iPad.  iOS will see it as part of the system and it will act exactly the same as if it had GPS built in.  It is really only useful to update your controller's location, or for "follow-me".  Otherwise you don't miss it.  Be aware that iOS requires a certain type of "Apple-compatible" external GPS for it to work, they need to be WAAS enabled.  They are typically used by pilots in real aircraft for navigation in flight, and can be around $100 or more  (still cheaper than buying a GPS enabled iPad ).

Have a read of these posts, there is more discussion about it here.  I have the Garmin GLO and it works 100% (better than the Apple inbuilt actually, it has a higher update frequency and hasGPS and GLONASS which I don't think the Apple devices have).
http://forum.dji.com/thread-40404-1-1.html
http://forum.dji.com/thread-41263-1-1.html
http://forum.dji.com/thread-44320-1-1.html
2016-4-13
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

endotherm Posted at 2016-4-14 15:21
A wifi-only iPad can work out its position from nearby wireless access points if there are enough of ...

'A wifi-only iPad can work out its position from nearby wireless access points if there are enough of them nearby.'

Maybe, but the Go App will not use that information, it is looking for a real GPS unit in the device.

'If you want to add the functionality , you can get an external bluetooth GPS and connect it to your iPad.'

This will work, but is a rather expensive way of doing it. Burt if you can afford it, it is a good way of obtaining GPS functionality.
But It does beg the question, how much is Follow Me and Update Home Point to you. Personally, I never use either.

2016-4-13
Use props
quickpoint
lvl.4

United States

Geebax Posted at 2016-4-14 01:25
'A wifi-only iPad can work out its position from nearby wireless access points if there are enough  ...

i don't get it,  i use an ipad mini 2 wifi and i never have any problems with gps.  always updates my location on the map just fine.    i use my iphone 6s as my hotspot if i need to download a map for the area but i have map cache map in backround on.  
2016-4-13
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

quickpoint Posted at 2016-4-14 15:44
i don't get it,  i use an ipad mini 2 wifi and i never have any problems with gps.  always updates ...

The iPad WiFi only devices are not fitted with a GPS receiver, only the cellular models have GPS.

2016-4-13
Use props
soerenlandersen
lvl.2

Denmark

So - let me get this right...
2016-4-14
Use props
soerenlandersen
lvl.2

Denmark

Oops - the homepoint will be updated when I start my flying, but - if I move during flight....it won't be?
2016-4-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules