Flying over edge of a plateau
946 8 2016-4-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Tabvla
lvl.2

United Kingdom

I will be doing an assignment that will require photography in an area of natural beauty.  The dominant feature of this area is a high plateau, the edge of which is sheer and abruptly drops more than 1,000 metres to the valley floor below.

Given the limitations of the altitude restrictions of the P4, my question is -  What will the P4 do if I fly it over the edge of the plateau?

It is easy to understand that for this shoot to accurately portray the significance of the contrast between the plateau and the valley that flying over the edge of the plateau is essential.

T.

2016-4-14
Use props
birdingbilly
lvl.3
Flight distance : 843369 ft
United Kingdom

It will just keep going - how far down you can go I don't know. At anything above 10m the P4 is blind as to how high above the ground it is.
2016-4-14
Use props
madaerial
lvl.2
Flight distance : 512251 ft
United States

I think you want an official answer - and I understand why. Everything I have read says you should be fine. But I'd like to see an official answer as well.
2016-4-14
Use props
nigelw
Second Officer
Flight distance : 518084 ft
United Kingdom

It'll just keep flying at that level.  The height restriction is measured from the take off point & the aircraft doesn't know what's below it beyond VPS distances.  As for the legality of such a manoeuvre...

Where abouts is it?  You really need to stay within 400ft (120m) of the ground below (or 1000ft with a competent spotter) to stay the right side of the law, although that only matters if you get caught, which is unlikely unless you hit an aircraft or paraglider.
2016-4-14
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

The designers of the Phantom 4 are pretty clever people.
You won't be the first person to want to fly over the edge of a mountain and the designers have considered that already.
Why do so many people imagine a phantom that zooms around the sky wherever they want, is going to drop because they fly over an edge?
2016-4-14
Use props
parkgt
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1167008 ft
United States

Unless you fly out a great distance horizontally from the cliff face mentioned (especially if you are below the  rim) it is doubtful that manned aircraft will be encountered.
2016-4-14
Use props
Tabvla
lvl.2

United Kingdom

labroides@yahoo Posted at 2016-4-14 23:35
The designers of the Phantom 4 are pretty clever people.
You won't be the first person to want to fl ...

I would rather ask a "stupid" question than risk losing my investment in both time and money.  When one is unsure it is usually best to seek the guidance of those who have greater knowledge and experience.

T.

2016-4-16
Use props
Tabvla
lvl.2

United Kingdom

nigelw Posted at 2016-4-14 22:31
It'll just keep flying at that level.  The height restriction is measured from the take off point &  ...

Thanks.... great reply, tells me exactly what I need to know..  

As for the legality of the manouevre, well currently Rock Hyrax don't have the legal right to raise a lawsuit and as they are the dominant tenants of the plateau I am not expecting any legal problems.... but, having said that the custodians of the cliff are a pair of eagles who I will be avoiding at all costs.  Seems eagles have a particular preference for turning Phantoms into recyclable plastic.

T.

2016-4-16
Use props
nigelw
Second Officer
Flight distance : 518084 ft
United Kingdom

Tabvla Posted at 2016-4-16 13:56
Thanks.... great reply, tells me exactly what I need to know..  

As for the legality of the man ...

I was thinking more the CAA regarding altitude above ground level, although they only get involved if there's a problem.  The police are meant to enforce the CAA's rules, but I think you're more likely to be arrested by the Rock Hyrax when you consider what the average policeman knows about flight restrictions.
Edit: just looked up Rock Hyrax.  You're probably not flying in the UK then
2016-4-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules