GPS coordinates in the EXIF header
2629 6 2015-1-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DarylWM
lvl.2

Australia

Hello.

In the P2V+, shooting photos in interval mode, sometimes the GPS coordinates recorded in the EXIF of photos seems to be the location the Phantom took off, and not the location of the Phantom when it took the photo. Has anybody else noticed that?

Daryl.

2015-1-14
Use props
Jamie Hellmich
lvl.4

United States

No, I had not notice that.  In fact, I did not know that the photo data contained the GPS coordinates at all because I read someone's statement on this forum, or another, that it did not.

Now that I've actually looked myself, it sure does.  Cool.

Thanks,

Jamie
2015-1-14
Use props
DarylWM
lvl.2

Australia

From this morning's flight (see the image thumbnails below) I can see consecutive images where one image has the coordinates for the take-off point (e.g. DJI00357 and DJI00359), and the other image has the coordinates for the Phantom's current position (e.g. DJI00358). I've seen it happen often enough, and randomly enough, to suggest it might be a bug. At this point it seems the coordinates in the EXIF are fairly unreliable and therefore pretty much useless. Is there a way of raising issues with DJI for investigation?
Untitled.png
2015-1-15
Use props
gil
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1379308 ft
United States

I discovered the same problem when I was trying to import the embedded GPS information in a 3D mapping program.  Got really wacky and totally useless output from the program.
2015-1-16
Use props
pcasqueiro
New

Angola

DarylWM Posted at 2015-1-16 08:20
From this morning's flight (see the image thumbnails below) I can see consecutive images where one i ...

I also have a problem with the altitude reported. I have several pictures taken during ascending, different heights ad they all show the same altitude EXIF data
2015-5-20
Use props
BazzaVMC
lvl.2

Australia

DarylWM Posted at 2015-1-16 08:20
From this morning's flight (see the image thumbnails below) I can see consecutive images where one i ...

That's very interesting...
According to your coordinates you were flying near the Woodend & Distric Netball Club (Buffalo Stadium)  in VIC, is that correct?
(Adelaide here)
2015-5-20
Use props
forbesam
New
South Africa

I've compared the exif data from a Phantom 3 Professional with photogrammetric resections of the GNSS position with a standard deviation of about a metre in horizontal position. The vertical position appears to be relative to the take-off point. I've only done this for a small block of eight photographs and would be interested if anyone else has obtained similar results.

I'd also like to know if there is anything like the exif GPSImgDirection tag stored in the DNG file (that's kappa to photogrammetrists).
2015-9-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules