phantom vision 2 smoking and won't start
1798 13 2016-4-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
mthomas007
New

I bought my vision 2 september of 2014.  Sucessfully flew twice shortly after.  Left in case until last week.  Tried to fly again.  Battery would not stay on.  short beeps then nothing.  Charged battery and same thing happened but eventually stayed on.  Pulled the sticks in to start motors.  motors started oscillating back and forth,  then smoke started pouring from one motor or wire.

CANNOT BELIEVE THE LACK OF QUALITY.  Anyone else?

2016-4-14
Use props
Northofthe49th
Second Officer

Canada

Tough to analyze given that it sat for that long a long period, wow...only two flights and you put it in the closet...too bad you were not able to enjoy it more...
Have you done the "double click" to turn on the battery, that is, one push then release and quickly push again and hold until you hear the beeps that it is on...this is literally something that has to happen within a couple of seconds max.....
The battery should not have been left charged past 50%, if it was, that is/was problem #1...and that battery is likely toast...
As for the smoke..tough to say, depending on where you are if it was left in a case in high humidity etc. and stored it could seize in a sense...
Did you have prop guards on and remove before you stored it? many have put the wrong screws back into the base of the motor which are longer (that is the ones for the prop guards are longer) which will fry the motor if put back in without the prop guards on as they will bind...there have been several that fried all four by having done this....
Anything else you can share? pictures? video etc...might help..
You may be able to get away with one esc and motor otherwise for the one that fried.
Good luck.
2016-4-14
Use props
Michael M
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1984898 ft
Canada

call dji

2016-4-14
Use props
roy
Second Officer

I would start by checking the ESC's most likely where the fault is. Electronics don't like sitting for long periods of time. A corrosive action can build up that is conductive and bingo a short. Flying these guys they can get al kinds of little critters in the air intakes that can start the action. Even dampness or dirty air. Was she setting eith the battery installed but not on. A little soldering and she can be good as new. Good luck.
2016-4-15
Use props
Michael Starley
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2812 ft

Turn it off.

Tension breaker   
2016-4-15
Use props
SVTRay
lvl.3

This is most likely the result of the battery pack. We're talking a battery pack that is what a year and a half old and hasn't even been maintained. You stated the battery had a hard time staying on, after multiple times of messing with it you finally got it to stay on and then attempted to fly. I'm amazed the battery wasn't all puffed out for starters. The media or material in these packs degrade over time. It probably died and overloaded a circuit causing something to fry in the bird.
2016-4-15
Use props
talk2t_c
lvl.4

France

Sorry to hear of your problems.  Those batteries are probably the early ones that don't discharge to a safe level in storage.  Talking of which - you are very lucky not to have had a fire whilst storing - could have happened.  The first batteries in my Phantom 2 Vision (bought two years ago) were the old type and they started to swell and would only last about 10 minutes - so I got rid.  I got two new ones and many flights later still going strong.  
2016-4-15
Use props
DillPickleAdil
lvl.2
Flight distance : 184577 ft
Canada

Your complaining on the lack of quality on a 2 year old drone, that you only used twice over the course of two years? k.
2016-4-15
Use props
mthomas007
New

It was the guards scews
2016-4-22
Use props
Northofthe49th
Second Officer

Canada

Thanks for the update, had you mentioned you took off the prop guards in the original email as part of your process it would have likely been deduced that the longer screws going back in without the guards would have been the cause,
Anyhow, lesson learned, a couple of new motors and you should be flying again.
2016-4-22
Use props
quickpoint
lvl.4

United States

so you didn't preflight and check over motors to see if the spin freely?
2016-4-22
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Looking at the motors, the longer screw does not affect the motor spinning, what it does do is bite into the insulation on the motor coils and short them out. Not a good design really, it would have been better to have blind holes to prevent that.
2016-4-22
Use props
Kneepuck
Second Officer
Flight distance : 275105 ft
United States

Just goes to show you,  smoking is bad for you.
2016-4-22
Use props
mthomas007
New

Netherlands

Easy for people to judge after reading something.  In real life when you haven't flown it for over a year and you're on vacation,  the first thing in you're mind isn't thinking about screws.  I don't even remember that the screws were longer.

Anyway,  at least I know now.  A good lesson for me and everyone else.   New motors are on order and probably a new battery since that was an issue too.   I think my next drone will be a custom.
2016-4-29
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules