Is it safe to fly with out the latest update?
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
davidathomas42
lvl.2

United Kingdom

I have just got back from holiday and not flown the P3P for about 2 weeks now and see that there is yet another firmware update of the RC and App etc etc.

I wanted to go do a quick flight today to take a picture of a property but don't have time to mess with the updates. Especially as a lot of people are having real trouble with it looking at the forum.

As it was all working perfectly and singing and dancing as I wanted last flight I assume it will be exactly the same next flight apart from it will say update required.

There's not some silly glitch in the software that will make it crash on purpose I am
guessing because I have not done the latest update yet?
2016-4-15
Use props
ccbiggz
lvl.3
Flight distance : 117697 ft
United States

I don't fly with the latest firmware and don't seem to have any issues. In my day job, I am always the last guy to update firmware on equipment. I let the early adopters figure out the bugs, then I update.
2016-4-15
Use props
BASS 666
lvl.3

United Kingdom

im still on 128 so don't update if you don't want to ... dji will tell you to do it every time but its up to you ...
2016-4-15
Use props
showardsh1967
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2661 ft

update the dji go app. before update and  then the phantom then the rc an you shuld have no problem
2016-4-15
Use props
Tmygun
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2972497 ft
  • >>>
United States

I updated the P3 and then the RC to the latest and it seems to be rock solid to me......flown 3 times more then 1 1/2 miles on one of the flights and everything worked great. Steady in place...no vibrations....video great while in flight.

I did do a cold IMU, gimbal and RC recalibration after the update.
2016-4-15
Use props
dieselwind
lvl.2

United States

I think my update problem was an isolated event, but when I upgraded my P3P to 1.8, it ended up failing miserably and gave me the dreaded [08 00] and [15 00] device not detected.  I know this happens when you have the RC on during the update, but I didn't even have the RC with me when I updated the aircraft.  I've updated before, and never had issues.  Like I said, I've only seen a few people here that had the same issue as me.
2016-4-15
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>

You are totally fine to update and there is nothing wrong. You will see RC signal lost error  message until both the TC and aircraft are updated.
DJI recommends updating to the latest firmware but you are free to do as you choose.
2016-4-15
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>

dieselwind Posted at 2016-4-15 23:08
I think my update problem was an isolated event, but when I upgraded my P3P to 1.8, it ended up fail ...

The module 8 and 15 happens when the video transmission module gets corrupted and it only happens to a tiny fraction of users and not caused by having the RC on during firmware update.
2016-4-15
Use props
knupla2
lvl.3
Flight distance : 922 ft
United States

As long as the last updates you did are working fine - fly.

That said, for the greatest majority of us that **follow the update instructions** to the letter, there have been no problems as long as we use clean update versions directly from the DJI download site.  So that means as soon as you can get to it, I'd suggest you do the update.

For me - every update I've done has gone exactly as expected, and - again for me - there is no way I can justify not doing an update the *should* improve my investment in my P3P.
2016-4-15
Use props
Ricardo
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4356421 ft
United States

knupla2 Posted at 2016-4-16 00:34
As long as the last updates you did are working fine - fly.

That said, for the greatest majority of ...

I agree also. I have updated my P3A now 4-times. A few problems until I followed the instructions to the letter. It does appear to be better with the latest DGI-Go app. It seems to do the update through your Wi-Fi pretty good. I still always download the file manually and put it on my sd-card and re-link the copter and R.C. and make sure all my settings stayed as I had them. I also think it is best to have the "latest & greatest" firmware to protect my investment! So far I have not have any flight issues. I recently did purchase the Argtek antenna upgrade, and I can consistently get out around 3-miles. That is over flat land or water since I live next to the Mighty Mississippi river.  I had great results up to 2-miles with the windsurfer ones too. Knock on wood.....I have never experienced any type of fly-away or uncontrollable behavior. Don't know about everyone else, but I am having the time of my life flying my Phantom!
2016-4-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules