Tried to remove landing foot's white tube – BIG mistake!
2071 7 2016-4-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
rustysilverwing
lvl.3
Flight distance : 7962966 ft
United States

I should have been more cautious, but trust and need overwhelmed my judgement.

A hard landing broke one of the white tubes on the front landing feet. I asked about it and several folks said there was nothing inside such as an antenna, and it could be removed and replaced with something similar.

Wrong.

I broke off the damaged bottom of the tube, found a spring for the shock absorbing function, but also found what I take to be an antenna (see photo.) Lucky for me, my efforts did no damage to that, but I'm left with an even grungier Inspire than before.

I'd be grateful for suggestions. And ever more grateful if anyone wants to sell me a proper replacement.

Wes
[size=14.6667px]

front landing arm w/broken white tube

front landing arm w/broken white tube
2016-4-15
Use props
terrylewis
First Officer
Flight distance : 3517287 ft
  • >>>
United States

Look on eBay, and search for Inspire  Part 9 Landing Gear....

Example Landing Gear part...
2016-4-15
Use props
Aeromirage
First Officer
Flight distance : 1778045 ft
  • >>>

I have seen them on eBay as low as $25.
2016-4-15
Use props
Phantomflyer
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1016486 ft
United States

Rusty,
Is that definitely the antenna, or inner portion (shaft) of the spring loaded damper.

https://store-72he74ld.mybigcommerce.com/cart.php
http://store.easylift.com/fpd-1012a1-sw/

Btw, I responded to your inquiry on the DJI Forum as well. Maybe you could post a short description of your repair process should you decide to make the repair yourself using the damper part  info. provided above.  : )
2016-4-15
Use props
rustysilverwing
lvl.3
United States

Phantomflyer Posted at 2016-4-15 20:32
Rusty,
Is that definitely the antenna, or inner portion (shaft) of the spring loaded damper.

good idea...and I'll try to puzzle out the "antenna"
2016-4-15
Use props
Phantomflyer
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1016486 ft
United States

rustysilverwing Posted at 2016-4-16 11:08
good idea...and I'll try to puzzle out the "antenna"

There is info. on another forum that indicates the antenna wire is located inside the actual leg support.
POI. There is an Inspire sticker and labeling suggesting not to cover the leg portion of the assembly where in the antenna is housed.
2016-4-15
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
Flight distance : 1837356 ft
  • >>>
United States

The antenna is not inside the plastic shock rod assembly. It is located on the outside of the gear leg underneath the plastic label that says (do not cover antenna) The spring and metal rod inside the tube give the landing gear the strength needed to handle the weight and or bad landings.  

If you buy a replacement from eBay, you should at least watch some YouTube videos showing the proper way to install these parts. You need to un solder the antenna wire inside and may not be to user friendly if this is not your thing.
links of interest:

Good luck with your project

Rich
2016-4-15
Use props
rustysilverwing
lvl.3
United States

I resolved the issue for now by removing the white tube residue and replacing with a similar width and length. Onlya cosmetic fix but now it looks more self-respecting.

2016-4-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules