Phantom 3 EXIF Data
3625 13 2016-4-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
SamEAS
lvl.2

United States

So I use my Phantom 3 for mapping purposes and just recently updated from V1.4 to the latest firmware. I am now having the issue in my EXIF data that the drone is using GPS instead of the barometer like it used too. Does anyone know where (and if) the barometer data is being stored and explicitly how to access it? I cant find it anywhere!

Thanks!
2016-4-15
Use props
xuqi2011
New

China

The barometer will not appear in your EXIF data,The EXIF data only have GPS information !
2016-4-15
Use props
SamEAS
lvl.2

United States

xuqi2011 Posted at 2016-4-15 18:20
The barometer will not appear in your EXIF data,The EXIF data only have GPS information !

Are you sure? I've been reading about this recently for some other users and they said that the baro elevation is now recorded as the "Relative Elevation".
2016-4-15
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

SamEAS Posted at 2016-4-16 11:26
Are you sure? I've been reading about this recently for some other users and they said that the ba ...

I am not on steady ground with this, but I would have thought the GPS data is the only reliable height indicator, even if it is not particularly accurate anyway, as the barometer reading is relative to the elevation of the take off point only.

2016-4-15
Use props
SamEAS
lvl.2

United States

Geebax Posted at 2016-4-15 18:32
I am not on steady ground with this, but I would have thought the GPS data is the only reliable he ...

Thats actually fine as we can build it based off the take off point and move our maps up to the actual NAVD83 elevation in a CAD program later. The GPS is off by 100+ ft right now so its pretty bad.
2016-4-15
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Geebax Posted at 2016-4-16 11:32
I am not on steady ground with this, but I would have thought the GPS data is the only reliable he ...

GPS is really bad for alittude accuracy.
It's not just bad, it swings all over the place +/- 200 feet is common.

DJI putting the GPS altitude in the normal place in Exif and moving the more accurate barometric altitude somewhere else a few firmware versions ago was a mistake.
DJI know how bad GPS is for altitude ... they don't use it for flying.

Here's what Garmin say to explain the problem with GPS altitude accuracy.
        How accurate is the GPS elevation reading?

GPS heights are based on an ellipsoid (a mathematical representation of the earth's shape), while USGS map elevations are based on a vertical datum tied to the geoid (or what is commonly called mean sea level). Basically, these are two different systems, although they have a relationship that has been modeled.

The main source of error has to do with the arrangement of the satellite configurations during fix determinations. The earth blocks out satellites needed to get a good quality vertical measurement. Once the vertical datum is taken into account, the accuracy permitted by geometry considerations remains less than that of horizontal positions. It is not uncommon for satellite heights to be off from map elevations by +/- 400 ft. Use these values with caution when navigating.
2016-4-15
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

labroides@yahoo Posted at 2016-4-16 12:28
GPS is really bad for alittude accuracy.
It's not just bad, it swings all over the place +/- 200 f ...

Yes, I understand the issue of really poor GPS altitude data. But if it is provided in the EXIF data it is probably adhering to the EXIF standard or whatever. Your top of the line DSLR does not have a barometer in it to provide a more accurate reading either.
2016-4-15
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Geebax Posted at 2016-4-16 12:54
Yes, I understand the issue of really poor GPS altitude data. But if it is provided in the EXIF da ...

Up to Firmware 1.4, DJI only included barometer data in the Exif data but for some reason only they know they've added the GPS altitude and put it in the same field that barometer data was previously
2016-4-15
Use props
SamEAS
lvl.2

United States

labroides@yahoo Posted at 2016-4-15 20:13
Up to Firmware 1.4, DJI only included barometer data in the Exif data but for some reason only they ...

So how do you access the barometer data? Its got to be there still somewhere? I can't find it for the life of me.
2016-4-15
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

SamEAS Posted at 2016-4-16 13:34
So how do you access the barometer data? Its got to be there still somewhere? I can't find it for  ...

If you have Photoshop, it shows pages of Exif data
2016-4-15
Use props
SamEAS
lvl.2

United States

Hmm okay. I'll give it a shot!
2016-4-15
Use props
SamEAS
lvl.2

Okay so Photoshop is the only one that I have been able to bring the barometer data up in. All the other EXIF viewers seem to exclude the relative elevation data.
2016-4-15
Use props
RPRIETO
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1240 ft
Portugal

SamEAS Posted at 2016-4-15 23:03
Okay so Photoshop is the only one that I have been able to bring the barometer data up in. All the other EXIF viewers seem to exclude the relative elevation data.

Had the same question. It also shows in GIMP but not in Irfanview.
2017-5-18
Use props
RPRIETO
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1240 ft
Portugal

RPRIETO Posted at 2017-5-18 05:15
Had the same question. It also shows in GIMP but not in Irfanview.

update: installed a neat pearl program called exiftool (my antivir did not flag anything, but I cannot guarantee if it is clean or not; use your discretion). Shows all the exif info, just by dragging a single picture or a folder with multiple pictures. Exif info can be exported to csv. Includes all metadata from DJI
2017-5-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules