NTFS or PAL - That is the question.....
1978 5 2016-4-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Homestead72
lvl.2

United Kingdom

I am in the UK and although I have got the measure of flying my P3A now, I still have a lot to learn in terms of photography and video.

I believe that in the UK, PAL is our standard, but does that actually matter anymore??  Surely to get best footage I should be shooting in NTFS at 30fps or 60fps (if I want to slow it down).

Any advice from more experienced people would be appreciated.

Thanks
2016-4-16
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

It largely depends upon what you intend to do with the footage. The only real time you need to observe the PAL or NTSC issue is if the footage you shoot is going to be released for broadcast. If you are going to play it on your TV, computer or upload it to Youtube, then it does not matter one bit. These days the advanced Smart TVs will handle almost any frame speed. Or my Sony will anyway.

2016-4-16
Use props
Homestead72
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Geebax Posted at 2016-4-16 11:12
It largely depends upon what you intend to do with the footage. The only real time you need to obser ...

Thanks Geebax.

But I should get a better quality video with NTSC (30 or 60fps) than PAL shouldn't I?
2016-4-16
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Homestead72 Posted at 2016-4-16 20:28
Thanks Geebax.

But I should get a better quality video with NTSC (30 or 60fps) than PAL shouldn' ...

Only so far as the higher frame rate is concerned. Nothing else changes really.
2016-4-16
Use props
birdingbilly
lvl.3
Flight distance : 843369 ft
United Kingdom

PAL and NTSC are standard def analogue formats - they are totally irrelevant for HD and above - so to answer the OP's question it makes absolutely no difference which it is set to - I don't understand why DJI have that setting as an option.
To get the best (cinematic) footage shoot 4K 25 fps, or failing that 2.7K, or failing that 1080P.  To get good quality video you need to have motion blur in your footage else it will look jerky, this is acheived by keeping your shutter speed slow - the general rule of thumb being twice the frame rate so if you shoot 25 (24.98) fps then try and use a shutter speed of 1/50 sec, if you shoot at 30 fps then try and use 1/60 sec.  There is not a huge diff between shooting 25 or 30 fps.  ND filters will most likely be needed to get the desired shutter speed as DJI for reasons best know to themselves don't fit a variable apperture to Phantom cameras.
2016-4-16
Use props
Homestead72
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Many thanks guys.  Great info from this forum as always.
2016-4-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules