Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Two Props Won't Spin
729 5 2016-4-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Quatzu
lvl.1

United States

On about my sixth or seventh flight ever, I have two props chattering and struggling to get going.  I performed a couple of actions right beforehand, perhaps you guys can help me find the cause. Here is what happened beforehand:

1. I took the guard bases off and put the original screws back in.  Now (too late) I have come to understand that changing the screws can in fact punch through part of the motor.

2. I recalibrated. Part of the way through, I experienced a computer issue and the Phantom assistant said it went into Failsafe Mode. Odd, since everything finished calibrating with no problems.

I fear #1 is to blame and I must buy new motors. Can anyone relate?

Thanks,
Ken
2016-4-16
Use props
If you replace the scores with the original shorter screw there should not be a proble. However if you pulled of the guard and used the same screws they will damage the motor windings as they are to long without the guard.
Ii f you used the correct scores then the issue may be your IMU calibration. Start over and make sure the Phantom is level front to back and side to side. Shim under the legs to get it level. Calibrate fairly quick as the unit can heat up and give you errors. Good luck and hope you get her levels out.
2016-4-18
Use props
jsegovia3830
lvl.1

United States

Interesting, hope it works out for you. This is the 1st time I've heard of this issue
2016-4-18
Use props
Quatzu
lvl.1

United States

roy@mcscomputer Posted at 2016-4-18 06:27
If you replace the scores with the original shorter screw there should not be a proble. However if y ...

That's why I'm confused. I did replace the screws with the original screws. It seems if I damaged my motors, it would have been a problem when I had the guards on. I have since ordered two new motors, but tonight I will attempt to re-calibrate. I did calibrate with shims, a level, etc. but maybe something else went wrong. Thanks.
Speaking of which, how important is it that I calibrate outdoors? I calibrated indoors on a level marble countertop built on a wooden base, away from any metal. Which is more important when calibrating - the levelness of the surface or the ability to grab satellites?
2016-4-18
Use props
mthomas007
New

Wow,  I thought i bought a lemon until I read this.  I totally forgot I put the longer screws in after taking the guards off.  Explains why smoke started coming from one.  Definitely will be buying new motors now.  

THX!
2016-4-22
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

Quatzu Posted at 2016-4-19 00:28
That's why I'm confused. I did replace the screws with the original screws. It seems if I damaged m ...

'Speaking of which, how important is it that I calibrate outdoors?'

You can calibrate the IMU indoors, the only requirement is a level surface, the compass must be calibrate outdoors though.
2016-4-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules