Phantom 2 Version 2 Differences???
2868 6 2015-1-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
zadecross
New

United Kingdom

I am looking at buying a Phantom 2, I already have a Go-Pro, there is one second hand for sale near me with the black perl screen, and all the other accessories which allow you to view the Go-Pro footage from the remote. This is going for £670, but the guy said he brought the Phantom 2 last summer.

I read somewhere that there has been a latest release, a newer model that came out in November 2014, with improved motors etc etc.

Would I notice a big difference in the versions being a firs timer? I want to use it to shoot footage of skateboarding and for extra filler clips, as well as take on holiday. It seems like a great bargain, but if there are massive improvements with the latest version I would rather pay £707 for just the drone and H3-3D and wait to buy the screen and transmitter at a later date.

What does everyone think on this? is there a big difference between the latest version release in November and the previous Phantom 2 version?

2015-1-15
Use props
Daninho
lvl.4
Flight distance : 70203 ft
Germany

I dont think there is a big difference, the new motors still not convincing me and to be honest, i would NOT buy a used Phantom2 V2 right now because there was a large batch of faulty ESCs or better said faulty firmware and you cant update the FW, you have to send it in. Other new features like gimbal wheel instead of the small lever is the nice to have but not necessary. I dont like the build in lipo feature, i prefer the 4xAA solution. Then there is a new shielded compass, i guess you can retrofit it if you like but i dont had any problems with my "old" compass so far. this is the only feature i would be interested in but im not sure what the benefit would be. It would be interesting to know more about that from a DJI technican.
2015-1-15
Use props
mike
Captain
Flight distance : 228255 ft
  • >>>
United States

zadecross, here are the notable differences:

- More powerful motors & new thrust boosted props
- New ESCs (you want version 2.1, but some 3.0 units have an older version)
- New remote with rechargeable battery & wheel to tilt the camera
- New compass with static shield
- Better GPS shielding to prevent loss of satellites when recording video
- Additional shielding/ferrites added to other cables to prevent interference
- Vented WiFi unit to prevent overheating (not done on all 3.0 units)

You can buy an old version 2 and upgrade these things yourself. But, it'll cost hundreds more to do so.
2015-1-15
Use props
Daninho
lvl.4
Flight distance : 70203 ft
Germany

the better wifi is not from interest and the better GPS shielding as well because the Phantom2 dont use any wifi and the GPS problem is exclusive to the vision models. I get usually over 10 sats with my phantom2 from 2013. If you want a V2.0 version than you have to make sure the ESCs are version 2.1 otherwise you can save money and buy the old version
2015-1-15
Use props
pingo
lvl.2
Flight distance : 15285 ft
Germany

I could buy V 3.0. How to check, whether ESC ist 2.1? Thanks
2015-1-15
Use props
mike
Captain
Flight distance : 228255 ft
  • >>>
United States

pingo, other than opening the Phantom after you buy it, it seems there is no way to check. A lot of resellers don't know what they have when you ask them. See more here:

http://www.phantompilots.com/vie ... ecf407a5ecd51394374
2015-1-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules