lvl.2

Canada

Safe Wind Speed for Beginner Pilot?
2016-4-16
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Around 15 mph is OK. The aircraft can hold station OK at that speed. It can actually do a lot better, but if it loses position, you need to be quite a good pilot to bring it back.
2016-4-16
Use props
DJI-Tim
DJI team

Hong Kong

For the beginner,  no wind i would say... However Phantom can resist 4th level of wind or co called Moderate Breeze.  
Don't worry, once you have a GPS on it won't be difficult to fly it at all
2016-4-16
Use props
leorvasquez
lvl.2

Well, I am not a total beginner and I wanted to get out today and did, but it was going between 12-15 mph and I didn't want to risk anything. I wanted to fly around the park, the river and a bridge and decided it was not safe. But that is just me. I didn't feel it was worth all the money I have invested in my P3A. :-) If it were under 10 mph I would have felt more comfortable.
2016-4-16
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

leorvasquez Posted at 2016-4-17 14:19
Well, I am not a total beginner and I wanted to get out today and did, but it was going between 12-1 ...

" it was going between 12-15 mph and I didn't want to risk anything"

12-15 mph won't risk anything.
Your Phantom can travel at 35 mph and hold position in 30 mph winds.
The Phantom wouldn't even notice 12-15 mph
2016-4-16
Use props
GM01
lvl.2

Belgium

Be careful if you are out in the open as even a 10mph wind can play havoc as you try to land = risk of tipping your Phantom over.
Had the experience once and don't plan to repeat it
2016-4-16
Use props
garretn
lvl.2

United States

GM01 Posted at 2016-4-17 02:59
Be careful if you are out in the open as even a 10mph wind can play havoc as you try to land = risk  ...

+1 on the landing in high winds..
Try to fly in areas that don't have a lot obstacles so that gust of winds don't shift it around enough to cause it to crash into something.  Practice catch landings they come in real handy for this is rough terrain.
2016-4-17
Use props
RICK8162JR
lvl.2
Flight distance : 47192 ft
United States

they r made to fly in wind 15 mph no problem practice in the wind you will need the skill to know how ur bird flys be carful on take off and landing
2016-4-17
Use props
knupla2
lvl.3
Flight distance : 922 ft
United States

DJI-Tim Posted at 2016-4-16 20:52
For the beginner,  no wind i would say... However Phantom can resist 4th level of wind or co called  ...

Where I don't disagree with this - I would caution a beginner to make certain if they chose to fly in wind - do so WELL away from obstacles.  Wide open spaces only and be VERY mindful of landing.

Following three wind tipovers on landing - I now hand catch.  Hover and walk to the Phantom, don't bring the Phantom to you.  Once it's stable, catch its' landing gear and pull the left command stick all the way back to shut it down.
2016-4-17
Use props
flyfishnevada
lvl.2
United States

I fly in 10-15 mph winds but I live in the middle of nowhere with few obstacles and lots of flat ground to land on.  But I took my P3S up to Lake Tahoe yesterday and decided to leave it in the Jeep.  10-15 mph winds but lots of people, trees, water, etc.  No thanks.

Totally depends on the environment.  Find a big, flat area with no obstacles and practice in light winds.  That's the only way you'll ever learn.  That being said, the Phantom does an amazing job of remaining in position and steady.
2016-4-17
Use props
mjlstudios
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1540131 ft
  • >>>
United States

labroides@yahoo Posted at 2016-4-17 01:15
" it was going between 12-15 mph and I didn't want to risk anything"

12-15 mph won't risk anything ...

This is true...but take off and landings can be a bit tricky!
2016-4-17
Use props
Nink
lvl.2

Canada

Open space is fine at 15Mph but as soon as you get near buildings they create wind tunnels between them and the wind has to go around the building so it accelerates and takes everything in the winds path with it. Also if you are new don't try and fly in wind in ATTI Mode as you really need to have a good feel of the quad and how to react in wind before you want to attempt that.   
2016-4-17
Use props
AG0N-Gary
First Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

If I had waited for a no wind day, I might have waited weeks or months.  Winds here are almost always 10-15, typically 20-25.  I was watching the official weather stat pages last week just for grins and noticed we had average winds of 12-15 mph every day for several days in a row.  Peak gusts those days were 35-53 mph.  I flew all of those days.  I normally land and take off in the driveway and will hand catch now and then, just for for variety.  I've flown in 25-35 mph winds with no problem, but mostly as a test and I was very aware of what was going on at all times.  Don't be afraid of it.  Make sure you're in P mode if you're not practiced in ATTI mode. and don't be reckless.  Always keep in mind that if you fly downwind, you will go far in a short amout of time, and it will take LOTS of battery power to get back to a safe landing place (like home).
2016-4-17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules