Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Phanton 4 propeller guard...obstacle sensing detecting disabled.
3911 15 2016-4-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
HagTaz
lvl.2

So the propeller guards finally came out for the phabtom 4, but it says the obstacle sensing detection would be disabled.  First question, why does it need to be disabled?  
Sencond question, can you just use the back ones since the sensors are only in the front?
2016-4-17
Use props
Tmygun
First Officer
Flight distance : 2972497 ft
  • >>>
United States

It needs to be disabled because the prop guards extend far enough out that the front sensors detect them as a constant obstruction. They are in the forward collision avoidance field of view.

I suppose you could use JUST the rear prop guards, but as someone else brought up in a previous post, that might imbalance the P4 and make the aircraft work harder to stay level or affect flight dynamics because of different air/wind resistance.
2016-4-18
Use props
DJI-Paladin
DJI team
Flight distance : 2408 ft

Hong Kong

Tmygun Posted at 2016-4-18 21:25
It needs to be disabled because the prop guards extend far enough out that the front sensors detect  ...

Yes you are right but it looks strange if the rear guards are installed only.
2016-4-18
Use props
Motch
lvl.2
Flight distance : 44213 ft
  • >>>
United States

Just ordered the PG's..
Will tell you how it flies with just the rear ones on.
I still don't understand why they (DJI) can't adjust the software to compensate for the front PG's.  At the same time, she should still fly ok with the rear ones.  I'll be posting!
My other concern is how easy/quick disconnect they will be.
I have the quick connect/disconnect ones for my P3 and I love them.  Easy to transport the P3A and I fly with red guards in the front, white in the back.  Also great for Situational Awareness~

Always
Motch
2016-4-26
Use props
waynekathy7
Second Officer
Flight distance : 175492 ft
United States

I put white tape over the black lines and the CA system stays on. Not sure how it will affect the system but I will do some tests.
2016-5-3
Use props
Motch
lvl.2
Flight distance : 44213 ft
  • >>>
United States

Please... keep us updated!
2016-5-4
Use props
gswilder
lvl.2
Flight distance : 18409 ft
  • >>>
United States

Got mine and have installed them. Great engineering job by DJI. Haven't flown with them yet. Will let you all know how it goes.
2016-5-4
Use props
sploodge
Captain
Flight distance : 809350 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

waynekathy7@gma Posted at 2016-5-4 03:26
I put white tape over the black lines and the CA system stays on. Not sure how it will affect the sy ...

What will happen is the P4 will randomly detect them and cause the P4 to stop flying forwards, the lines you removed is set as such the OA software knows what it means and turns itself off. The OA is disabled for a reason. If you want OA why have PG?
2016-5-4
Use props
HagTaz
lvl.2

United States

There's a set you buy that won't disable the sensors.
2016-5-20
Use props
Moshe.mmm
First Officer
Flight distance : 73281 ft
  • >>>
Israel

Motch Posted at 2016-4-27 00:36
Just ordered the PG's..
Will tell you how it flies with just the rear ones on.
I still don't underst ...

XYT New Technology DJI Phantom 4 accessories Propeller Guard/Protector won't affect the Phantom 4 Obstacle Sensing system
http://s.aliexpress.com/qANFjYjI
2016-5-22
Use props
waynekathy7
Second Officer
Flight distance : 175492 ft
United States

Mine flies just fine with just the rear guards on. When I put the white tap on my front set. The CA remained active but slow forward flight was jerky. The CA was activating momentarily every 10 feet or so.
2016-5-22
Use props
Exib
First Officer
Flight distance : 153760 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Moshe.mmm Posted at 2016-5-22 16:40
XYT New Technology DJI Phantom 4 accessories Propeller Guard/Protector won't affect the Phantom 4  ...

Have you tried these yet?
2016-5-23
Use props
djsemperwifi
New

United States

I have these prop guards
Drone DJI Phantom 4 Propeller Guard Protector won't affect Obstacle Sensing system
They DO trigger OA if the drone tilts a considerable amount.  If you end up in a High Velocity Wind scenario,  it can be a real pain. At that point I guess you are better off disabling OA
2017-2-25
Use props
Laptop
lvl.1
United States

sploodge Posted at 2016-5-4 22:15
What will happen is the P4 will randomly detect them and cause the P4 to stop flying forwards, the lines you removed is set as such the OA software knows what it means and turns itself off. The OA is disabled for a reason. If you want OA why have PG?

How did that work.. I am frustrated that the collision system is disabled.     Makes no sense.  The protectors are very important when landing in windy environments.

Let me know how it works out... I will try the same.
2017-9-6
Use props
Laptop
lvl.1
United States

How did that work.. I am frustrated that the collision system is disabled.     Makes no sense.  The protectors are very important when landing in windy environments.

Let me know how it works out... I will try the same.
2017-9-6
Use props
Laptop
lvl.1
United States

Let me know how this works out.
2017-9-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules