Can You Spot A Bug Before it Hits Windshield? PROVE IT!
1111 18 2016-4-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
leonardk12.comc
lvl.2
United States

All these post about pilots seeing drones is very much like one driving 60 or more, miles per hour and seeing a bug before it hits the windhsield. The bug is to small and the speed to great. A quad copter can be so very hard to see a few hundred feet away when one knows where to look for it. So rise up quad copter community, lets prove them wrong. Simple testing. A couple of quads fly together taking pictures of each other. Lets see how far away once can be spotted looking into the sky and down against different backgrounds, country and city. Then useing a 4 in sport mod see how going only 44 mph can make it harder to see the "bug".

Before the "evil" drones it was "suspected" bird strikes. Now no more birds but "drone" strikes. Personnel think the pilots are not being totally honest and living in the fear created by the irresponible media who has to answer to no one for there reporting and lies. Get the videos and lets just see what is visiable and what is not.
2016-4-19
Use props
nigelw
Second Officer
Flight distance : 518084 ft
United Kingdom

I've seen small birds while driving at 125mph quite clearly.  And I've recognised my wife's face at 140mph.  Her face isn't so big.
2016-4-19
Use props
quickpoint
lvl.4

United States

nigelw Posted at 2016-4-19 12:40
I've seen small birds while driving at 125mph quite clearly.  And I've recognised my wife's face at  ...

but none of those things you are seeing are flying,  white object on a light blue/white back round.   if you thing about it, 200-400 feet up on a horizon drones blend in quite well to the back round.     

not saying it didn't happen but its very hard to spot a small object that can blend into the back round so easily while moving at high speeds.   cars at speed really don't count because back round is static and can be identified,  in the air distance of unknown objects can not be exacly determined with no points of reference in the backround other than clouds,  and small targets like phantoms may not even been seen at all because of their size and color.   inspire blacks and 3dr's possibly because of the colors.   but white is highly doubyful.   

also while landing and taking off.  most pilots are not looking for objects to hit.  they are looking for other hazards on the ground and other planes,  while checking radar and other information.  comercial jumbo jets can look for drone all they want.  if they did spot a drone nothing could be done to do anything anyway.  not like they can take evasive action to avoid.   its not the most manuverable plane in the sky.  even if it was,  wouldn't have more than a few seconds to do anything anyway
2016-4-19
Use props
nigelw
Second Officer
United Kingdom

quickpoint Posted at 2016-4-19 17:56
but none of those things you are seeing are flying,  white object on a light blue/white back round ...

A bird is flying.  My wife's face is in a crowd of faces at the race circuit (you don't think I'd do 140mph on the road now, do you?)  It's very easy to see them when you get close.  It really isn't very fast when you get used to it.
2016-4-19
Use props
nigelw
Second Officer
United Kingdom

The problem is you need a lens equivalent to something like 43mm & a very high resolution sensor.  The P3 or P4 camera won't help at all.
2016-4-19
Use props
quickpoint
lvl.4

United States

nigelw Posted at 2016-4-19 13:11
A bird is flying.  My wife's face is in a crowd of faces at the race circuit (you don't think I'd  ...

Face in a crowd can be picked out because you are looking for something specific in a specific location.   You are activly looking for something specific in a designated place.  With points of reference.  In the sky on with light object on in light background with nothing standing out will be quite hard.  

Not downplaying what you are saying just making point that land vs air environments are totally different.
2016-4-19
Use props
birdingbilly
lvl.3
Flight distance : 843369 ft
United Kingdom

maybe it had flashing green and red lights on it - despite what all you experts on here think I will continue to give the benefit of the doubt to the captain of the British Airways plane who was actually in the cockpit and believes it was a drone - time will tell
2016-4-19
Use props
leonardk12.comc
lvl.2

So you believe pilots are infallible, they never fly while drunk, or land at wrong airport or mis-judge and crash, or mis-interpet what they see, or look for something to place blame on that they did that never makes the news.
2016-4-19
Use props
Kneepuck
Second Officer
Flight distance : 275105 ft
United States

There have been a fairly large number , even in radar controlled airspace,  of near misses between full sized aircraft ranging from private planes to commercial.  There have even been collisions. In most all cases,  the pilots did not even see the other planes until too late.  This is not so uncommon as people may think.  Pilots are trained to look out for other aircraft at all times.  The thing is,  because of the speeds involved,  it is usually not possible for them to have time to react.  That's why they are constantly striving to improve collision avoidance systems.  But for the pilot of a full sized aircraft to see and avoid a craft as small as a Phantom while they are busy during take off or landing is asking a bit much of them.
That being said,  I still feel the governments are not reacting in a way that will alleviate the situation.  Passing new laws that restrict the areas in which hobby pilots can fly is a waste of legislation.  Far better ,  instead of saying when and where we can fly,  to make the consequences for damaging another person or property so huge that it will, perhaps, be a deterrent. Lets face it.  People who do stupid things with drones are not going to be stopped by laws telling them not to do such and such a thing.  We already have such laws in place, and idiots still break them all the time.  All those laws do is restrict those of us who obey the laws,  and would probably not do dumb things like fly near an airport anyway.  Common sense dictates that.  You can not legislate stupidity and willful misbehavior.  But you can punish it.
Anyway,  that is my opinion.
2016-4-19
Use props
nigelw
Second Officer
United Kingdom

quickpoint Posted at 2016-4-19 19:50
Face in a crowd can be picked out because you are looking for something specific in a specific loc ...

It all depends on circumstances.  A near miss could easily be seen at speed depending on the angle of view.  As you say, a white drone on a plain grey sky would be difficult, but against the ground in shadow on a sunny day would be easy.  If you did see it, you'd probably be able to see if it was a bird or a drone quite easily.  That said, I've never piloted a plane, so who knows.
2016-4-19
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

I was piloting a plane at 6000' and had a 'WTF was that' moment when a pelican went by going the other way. I knew what it was and even what species it was.
2016-4-19
Use props
igot2n0
Second Officer
Flight distance : 740548 ft
United States

I don't know if it is possible for an airline pilot to see a drone before the two collide But here is what I know:

300 mph = 440 ft. per second
500 mph = 770 ft per second

So, could a commercial airline pilot see a drone before they collided? Maybe yes, maybe no.
2016-4-19
Use props
Kneepuck
Second Officer
Flight distance : 275105 ft
United States

igot2n0 Posted at 2016-4-19 17:36
I don't know if it is possible for an airline pilot to see a drone before the two collide But here i ...

If they were specifically looking for a drone,  possibly.  But they don't expect to see a drone in their airspace. They are busy enough looking for large objects like airplanes.
2016-4-19
Use props
quickpoint
lvl.4

United States

Geebax Posted at 2016-4-19 18:48
I was piloting a plane at 6000' and had a 'WTF was that' moment when a pelican went by going the oth ...

with a wingspan of 8-11 feet it would be kinda hard to miss one!  much greater wingspan than a phantom.    wonder if the pelican was wondering what you were doing in his air space.    what were you flying as well? =P  

2016-4-19
Use props
Cessna172
lvl.4
United States

Google this.....

"Pilot UFO sightings"
162,000 results

Nuff Said

2016-4-19
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

quickpoint Posted at 2016-4-20 12:11
with a wingspan of 8-11 feet it would be kinda hard to miss one!  much greater wingspan than a phan ...

A PA28 Cherokee.
2016-4-19
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

I have known a few commercial airline pilots, and my overwhelming impression of them is that they are elitist snobs who believe they should be the only people allowed to fly planes. On that basis, they would identify drones in the hope they will get legislated out of the skies.
2016-4-19
Use props
quickpoint
lvl.4

United States

<------- jealous
2016-4-19
Use props
leonardk12.comc
lvl.2

Geebax Posted at 2016-4-20 10:30
I have known a few commercial airline pilots, and my overwhelming impression of them is that they ar ...

BINGO. Right on.
2016-4-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules