Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Got yelled at for the first time while flying
917 13 2016-4-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
diiennojs
lvl.2

I was flying over a lake (public lake not private property) taking pics and video of my wife on her kayak and this old lady just ran up to me telling me I am going to kill someone and the noise of my drone is annoying everyone. I asked her if she drove a car and told her she is more likely to kill someone in her car than my drone. The noise... well I just told her to mind her own business and the boats were louder than me. Whats funny is I had so many people asking questions and really enjoying watching my bird fly.
2016-4-19
Use props
quickpoint
Second Officer

United States

better off not even engaging grumpy people.  just not your head and smile at them.   when they get frustrated ramble back at them as in another language.  give them some ignorance as well.    or just outright ignore them for a while.  

if they are complaining they are so loud, get up real close to them and yell as loud as you can  WHAT, I CAN"T HEAR YOU OVER HOW LOUD THE DRONE IS.   bet they just walk away at that point with their head down.   

Just let that mental image wash over you for a second,    screaming at a little old lady pretending you can't hear her over how loud it is.    giggle
2016-4-19
Use props
RichJ53
Captain
Flight distance : 1788284 ft
  • >>>
United States

Maybe she was just having a bad day. Sometimes its better to shower them with kindness and explain what you are doing. Or you could even offer to show them the video you are taking and let them see the fun of our hobby / sport....

you never know what can happen.   

Rich
2016-4-19
Use props
Damager
Second Officer
Flight distance : 9052 ft
United States

RichJ53 Posted at 2016-4-19 12:21
Maybe she was just having a bad day. Sometimes its better to shower them with kindness and explain w ...

I was really worried about these kinds of issues, as I live (and have to fly, typically) in a fairly busy area.  I try to be considerate, but was concerned people would be annoyed.  Surprisingly the reaction has been very positive - lots of interest, and people want to learn more and see what my P4 can do.  
2016-4-19
Use props
quickpoint
Second Officer

United States

RichJ53 Posted at 2016-4-19 12:21
Maybe she was just having a bad day. Sometimes its better to shower them with kindness and explain w ...

true, but if that doesn't work cant really fall back on the drone is too loud plan. =P

i have had alot of people come up to me while flying and alot of over all interest in my drones.  but i have never had any negitave complaints.   flown at beaches, parks, random houses, all over.  never a single issue.  guess i just have a kind persona....    highly doubt that but more of i look like the kind of person you really don't want to start problems with.  either way i have never had an incident at all while flying.  
2016-4-19
Use props
RichJ53
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Damager Posted at 2016-4-19 09:31
I was really worried about these kinds of issues, as I live (and have to fly, typically) in a fair ...

Agree, not everyone will be positive, but I think it is pretty easy to show off what the aircraft can do...

I am sure you will do a great job on the next time around  
Rich
2016-4-19
Use props
RichJ53
Captain
  • >>>
United States

quickpoint Posted at 2016-4-19 09:32
true, but if that doesn't work cant really fall back on the drone is too loud plan. =P

i have had ...

I hear you!  I have had good experiences so far, and I am willing to take the time to explain things. I like to share what we do with people and maybe they to can join us with all of the fun that can be had!

Rich
2016-4-19
Use props
quickpoint
Second Officer

United States

RichJ53 Posted at 2016-4-19 13:26
I hear you!  I have had good experiences so far, and I am willing to take the time to explain thin ...

Can't forget a lot of elderly aren't happy unless unless they are miserable or complaining.     Some people are just not meant to be happy
2016-4-19
Use props
evsjas
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1995479 ft
United States

The police in my town love my drone. I have followed them eye level down the road. Even let one officer fly mine a little. Guess I am I'm one of the lucky one with the local police on my side and approving of drones.
   Trying to start a project film of them chasing my drone around the police station and car with the Benny Hill Show song music.
2016-4-19
Use props
Bhujang
Second Officer
Flight distance : 322867 ft
United Kingdom

Sure drones are getting a lot of bad press and some people in the general public feel obliged to make a complaint thereby. Also when they see people really free and enjoying themselves they just have to try to bring them down to their own self imprisioned level. Just fly be sensible and enjoy yourself.
2016-4-19
Use props
epatzer
lvl.1

United States

A recent article in our paper about the County banning drones over open space opened up the door to the wackjobs writing in. One misinformed woman was adamant about the dangers involved with drones, one being the noise, which could lead to distraction, and the other was the possibility of being struck and killed by a "50 pound" out of control drone...

All I could picture was a giant 50 pound bag of Dog Chow falling out of the sky.

2016-4-20
Use props
talk2t_c
Second Officer

France

Sounds like you made her day  
Just tell her it's only dangerous when people distract you.
2016-4-20
Use props
gtokarsk
Captain
Flight distance : 10666982 ft
United States

I admire you for not buzzing her... ;)
2016-4-20
Use props
mjlstudios
First Officer
Flight distance : 1540131 ft
  • >>>
United States

Have your eyes well up some tears, look them in the eyes and tell them "she is on her last month...I'm trying to get all the pictures and videos I can at this point. Please forgive me...(sob) I will miss her much..(Sob) I'll only have these pictures and videos for memories" I wonder what their reaction would be?

I know this sounds sick, but people are to eager to voice their opinions and their dissatisfaction on others harmless fun, hobbies and entertainment, that maybe they need to be set in their place. This could have been a true story for someone...and part of their memories they are trying to capture will be of this old lady and her loud mouth!   
2016-4-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules