Phone call whilst in flight question
12138 17 2016-4-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Speedbird1
lvl.3
Flight distance : 218337 ft
United Kingdom

Hello, I'm still on beginner mode and am taking it steady, however, I still am concerned as to what will happen whilst I am flying using an iPhone 6 plus if either an email or a phone call comes in.
Hopefully the answer will be that the DJI software on the phione will stop calls but I could do with settling my mind on this.
Any views please?
Mike
2016-4-19
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

The DJI Go app won't stop calls.
It can be distracting to have a call come in while you are using your phone for flying but it shouldn't have any effect on the flight.
You could drop your phone in a bucket of water while flying and still fly normally (without vision).
It might be an idea to put the phone in airplane mode or change the phone profile while flying if you don't want to take calls.
2016-4-19
Use props
ssunman
lvl.2

United States

I've actually taken a call ( Iphone 6s) from the wife while flying...that was a couple of firmware/software updates ago.  I had no problems.  I answered the call, put it on speaker phone, switched back to the go app and continued flying.  I'm assuming those conditions would still apply after the aforementioned updates.  I don't think receiving txts or email have any impact what so ever.
2016-4-20
Use props
Speedbird1
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Both of those replies are what i wanted to hear really. Airplane mode sounds prefect but if i do forget then knowing that my plane will continue to fly or at least not descend quickly to the ground makes me feel better.
Thank you
2016-4-20
Use props
Speedbird1
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Sorry about this but i've just realised that if i go onto airplane mode i will not have access to GPS. But again that will only be needed for viewing the flight afterwards, am i correct?

Whilst actual flying with the phone in airline mode it's the view of the camera i use and not GPS anyway isn't it?

Steep learning curve this flying lark eh?

Mike
2016-4-20
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Speedbird1 Posted at 2016-4-20 18:25
Sorry about this but i've just realised that if i go onto airplane mode i will not have access to GP ...

The only things that you can use the phone's GPS for are:
1.  Resetting the Phantom's home point to the current location of the controller.
2.  Follow-me
Otherwise the GPS in your Phantom takes care of everything.
2016-4-20
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Speedbird1 Posted at 2016-4-20 18:25
Sorry about this but i've just realised that if i go onto airplane mode i will not have access to GP ...

No, Airplane Mode means it shuts down all systems that transmit. GPS is a receive only system and is not affected.
2016-4-20
Use props
Speedbird1
lvl.3
United Kingdom

That's me now happy.
Thank you
2016-4-20
Use props
thegaz99
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2289144 ft
Australia

Speedbird1 Posted at 2016-4-20 19:27
That's me now happy.
Thank you

Ive received many calls while flying with no affects to aircraft. Happy flying.
2016-4-20
Use props
knupla2
lvl.3
Flight distance : 922 ft
United States

When I fly, I leave me cell phone in the vehicle.  I've multi-tasked my entire life, in some cases over the years, with some poor results.

What is so important it can't wait a few minutes while flying?

Put the phone down - fly safe.
2016-4-20
Use props
evsjas
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1995479 ft
United States

knupla2 Posted at 2016-4-20 07:31
When I fly, I leave me cell phone in the vehicle.  I've multi-tasked my entire life, in some cases o ...

He is using phone to fly.
2016-4-20
Use props
knupla2
lvl.3
Flight distance : 922 ft
United States

Ah.  Makes some sense.  Then again, IMO, answering the phone when flying is just not a good move.
2016-4-20
Use props
AG0N-Gary
First Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

Very disconcerting.  The first time I got a call while flying with my phone, the screen jumped to the call and I panicked.  After missing the call due to fumbling around, I unplugged the phone from the RC and did a full reset on the phone to be sure it came back right.  Connection was restored and I resumed flying.  The P3 just hovered, waiting for me to unpanic myself and get back to it.  Now that I know much more about what I'm doing with the bird, it would just piss me off, but there wouldn't be any panic.  Put it on airplane mode and don't be bothered.  I no longer fly with my phone, but use an iPad Mini 2.  What an improvement in visibility of the screen.  As others have said, your phone's GPS is not used while flying, except for follow-me mode, which is of very little use anyway.
2016-4-20
Use props
Bhujang
lvl.4
Flight distance : 534587 ft
United Kingdom

It's no big deal. It won't crash your drone and it's simple enough to cancel the call on an iPhone with one press on the screen. Then the DJI app pops up again.
2016-4-20
Use props
quickpoint
lvl.4

United States

with the iphone's you can put it into do no disturb mode.    little moon on the pull up menu.   

if you still have any issues or worries like people stated before just hang up on them
2016-4-20
Use props
madaerial
lvl.2
Flight distance : 512251 ft
United States

I always go into airplane mode now. I had a Facebook notification once while flying, went to dismiss it and it brought up Facebook. I didn't crash or anything, just closed it out, and brought back up DJI Go! I find it distracting though, and don't like it. As others have stated, GPS continues to function in airplane mode.
2016-4-20
Use props
DillPickleAdil
lvl.2
Flight distance : 184577 ft
Canada

knupla2 Posted at 2016-4-20 08:18
Ah.  Makes some sense.  Then again, IMO, answering the phone when flying is just not a good move.

Its not a bad move at all.
2016-4-20
Use props
djiuser_u9mZOASxHgHD
lvl.1
United States

evsjas Posted at 2016-4-20 04:15
He is using phone to fly.

I think you completely missed the point of this entire conversation. The app to fly the drone only exists on most people's cell phones. The OP was looking for a solution to turning off calls and texts on their cell phone while flying so as not to be interrupted during flight... and since you are now required to be logged into your dji account while flying, this is a good question.
2023-12-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules