Can DJI do this? - Fly high, shut down, and again start the motor?
2843 28 2016-4-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fsong00
lvl.4
Flight distance : 7573041 ft
  • >>>
Canada

In the flight class, one should pass the test of engine shut down in the safe height, do spiral drop, and then start the engine to leave the
spiral state and back to normal flight...

I am thinking if DJI can do this. That is: fly high, (CSC) shut the motor, let it fall, and then (CSC) start the motor, regain the flight status
back to normal. Myself dare not to do this. But thinking if theoretically we can do this.

2016-4-20
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

The answer is .. maybe (and maybe not).
I have seen youtube of this for a Phantom 2 but not for a P3 or P4.
You would need a lot of height for the Phantom to recover .. probably well over 400 feet.
And a Phantom that you are prepared to lose.
2016-4-20
Use props
jstjohnz
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1146388 ft
United States

I have wondered about that.  In reality though, I think that in a real life scenario like that you probably wouldn't realize what happened quickly enough to have time to restart.  You would have to be REALLY certain that the motors had actually shut down before doing a CSC.  It doesn't help that motor start and motor stop are the same command.

Or are they still?  I remember reading sometyhing about 1 stick and RTH button as the new shutdown command.  I always use throttle down to shut down so I have not tried that.
2016-4-20
Use props
fsong00
lvl.4
  • >>>
Canada

Let's say if CSC shut down and then re-start is not a problem. then as #2 points out, what is the ability for DJI P3/4 to regain flight status?
Like those small drones you can toss them around and they can immediately re-position. How long/How tolerant
can DJI re-position itself?
2016-4-20
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

fsong00 Posted at 2016-4-21 11:48
Let's say if CSC shut down and then re-start is not a problem. then as #2 points out, what is the ab ...

The phantom will try to turn itself up the right way if it is upside down while it is running. But who knows if it will do that if it is shut down and you re-start it. No way would I want to try it out on my aircraft, the whole question comes under the category of 'who cares anyway?'
2016-4-20
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

jstjohnz Posted at 2016-4-21 11:43
I have wondered about that.  In reality though, I think that in a real life scenario like that you p ...

"Or are they still?  I remember reading sometyhing about 1 stick and RTH button as the new shutdown command. "

Phantom 4 only.
No change for the earlier models
2016-4-20
Use props
wellsi
First Officer
Flight distance : 8330187 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

This was asked a few months ago; Bryan mentioned this had happened to himself during an inadvertent mid-air CSC and he started it up again, by the skin of his teeth...  
I think reaction time is the crucial thing here; that first second it's dropping around 10 metres; 2nd second it's dropping another 20 metres and by the third it's around 30 metres/second.  So basically in 4 seconds where it will fall 100 metres or 330 feet. That fifth second will be the deciding factor; how long does it take to start up and take off...?  
2016-4-20
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

wellsi Posted at 2016-4-21 15:44
This was asked a few months ago; Bryan mentioned this had happened to himself during an inadvertent  ...

Yeah, well this little Black Duck aint interested in finding out.
2016-4-20
Use props
rayrokni
Second Officer
Flight distance : 8139875 ft

wellsi Posted at 2016-4-21 13:44
This was asked a few months ago; Bryan mentioned this had happened to himself during an inadvertent  ...

I'm gonna say Brian was fibbing about being able to restart it after a CSC and land it
2016-4-20
Use props
Bhujang
lvl.4
Flight distance : 534587 ft
United Kingdom

As long as it doesn't roll/ tip upside down you theoretically should be able to,do this.
2016-4-20
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>

Try it in the simulator, I've gotten it to work in the sim but t takes about 300ft or so.
In the real works I wouldn't try it, but you are free to do as you wish but I don't know the logic of why you would even want to try anyways.
2016-4-20
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Pushing the envelope. Why did they want to break the land and air speed, sound barrier?

RedHotPoker
2016-4-20
Use props
endotherm
First Officer
Flight distance : 503241 ft

Australia

I've tried this in the simulator a few times, from 400ft I have a 100% crash rate.

I've also noticed performing a CSC in the simulator causes the aircraft to lurch to the side and start to roll before dropping.  I believe that computer model is true in real life.  Since the aircraft isn't falling cleanly, simply restarting the motors will achieve little, there simply isn't enough time to regain stability, then fight the vertical acceleration in time before impact.
2016-4-21
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

endotherm Posted at 2016-4-21 18:26
I've tried this in the simulator a few times, from 400ft I have a 100% crash rate.

I've also notice ...

There is a clip on Youtube somewhere showing a person holding a Phantom upside down with the engines running at about head height. He throws it to one side and it immediately rights itself before it touches the ground.
2016-4-21
Use props
rodger
First Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

You are on your own doing that one.
2016-4-21
Use props
Thunderbirdsare
lvl.2
Flight distance : 10476 ft
Australia

in the simulator the craft drops about 150 m in seconds..restarting and powering the engines and regaining control happens with drop alitude at 420m and above...would it work in a real life demonstration...possibly, using the app to control restarting may be quicker than the remote stick control, getting to over 400m to try it is a challenge in itself.
2016-4-21
Use props
G_MEZ_G
lvl.3

United States

I've seen a YouTube video showing success on in the simulator. I would think though that In real life, If you inadvertently execute the CSC, the reaction time alone would doom you. Keep us posted if you try it
2016-4-21
Use props
mjlstudios
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1540131 ft
  • >>>
United States

wellsi Posted at 2016-4-21 01:44

How about the "G" stress applied to the airframe in recovering a falling P3? How many stress cracks will the P3 receive? When I win the lottery I will perform this test and fully document the experiment and post it on the forum...or....you all can make a donation to me so I can replace my P3P if it should hit the dirt first!
2016-4-21
Use props
fsong00
lvl.4
  • >>>
Canada

My son has the cheap drone. His can do easy 360 flip in the air and many other stunts. I understand DJI is used to aerial video those formal action. But sometimes if we can push it to the limit, isn't it exciting? Like "world stunt show of DJI"?
2016-4-21
Use props
KAvery17
lvl.1

United States

I've got DJI Care I will try it and report back what happens lol NOT!
2016-4-21
Use props
nickmedici
lvl.3
Flight distance : 88287 ft

I've done it on the simulator....
2016-4-21
Use props
wellsi
First Officer
Flight distance : 8330187 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

golf_sierra@lib Posted at 2016-4-21 17:34
Why would you want to put such stress to the drone hardware?

Not that I want to do this particular exercise, but that's the excitement of flying. You could apply your question to almost anything in life where the limits are pushed.  It's called experimentation.... or fun.. .
2016-4-21
Use props
rodger
First Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-4-21 02:23
Try it in the simulator, I've gotten it to work in the sim but t takes about 300ft or so.
In the rea ...

Well stated Ken
2016-4-21
Use props
fsong00
lvl.4
  • >>>
Canada

Thanks for the simulation information. I have done similar flight in the simulator. 300 ft is ok. immediately after the CSC shutdown, then follow the CSC power on. Then immediately push the gas paddle for couple of seconds until it gain the stable altitude. The key resides on the CSC power on. because if it is not on, then you think it is ok and start to push the gas paddle, you lose couple of seconds and that will kill you;

After CSC power on DJI, the green light on the body will flash couple of times. I think this is a good indication of the power on. Then should immediately push the gas paddle. I think someone standby use a binocular for monitoring is needed. And a lot of simulation practice before stunt. For the safety height should be over 300ft as high as possible if regulation allows.
2016-4-21
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>

fsong00 Posted at 2016-4-22 09:54
Thanks for the simulation information. I have done similar flight in the simulator. 300 ft is ok. im ...

Again, I'm not understanding the purpose to intentionally preform a CSC high up just to see if you can do it and recover.
2016-4-21
Use props
essmd
lvl.1

United States

Why in the world can't DJI program the standard CSC to be deactivated when the aircraft is over 30 feet?  That is such an easy thing to do.  If the aircraft is stuck in a tree or something, then a more complicated procedure can be devised to shut down, something that is not likely to be done accidentally.  Am I missing something?
2016-4-21
Use props
rayrokni
Second Officer
Flight distance : 8139875 ft

fsong00 Posted at 2016-4-21 20:38
My son has the cheap drone. His can do easy 360 flip in the air and many other stunts. I understand  ...

yea, well those drones dont have the aerodynamics of a greased rock that the p3 has, lol
2016-4-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules